Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Suspension damage by storing on blocks?

R

Restorit

Hey, wondering if there are any issues by putting my 74 on stands over the winter to work on. Is it bad to leave the suspension hanging that long? Shocks being fully open or stress on control arm bushings an issue? etc?

No issues if you store your car on jack stands for the winter "project car" season.

Stress on what?
Everyone I know takes their wheels off for storage and puts plastic bags around the rotors..........Is it wise to have the shocks fully extended for 6 months ?.. ...I wouldn't think so....Maybe we are different up here, I don't know.;LOL

thats the wonderful thing about living in san antonio, winter storage is like 2 weeks

Everyone I know takes their wheels off for storage and puts plastic bags around the rotors..........Is it wise to have the shocks fully extended for 6 months ?.. ...I wouldn't think so....Maybe we are different up here, I don't know.;LOL

Well, I'm further north than you are and have no idea why any of these steps would be done.

Here's my winter storage routine for all the toys, been doing this for over 30 years without problem:

1) fill gas tank
2) wash and wax
3) change oil and filter
4) disconnect and remove battery or attach battery tender
5) turn off the lights in the garage and say 'night night, sleep tight, see you in the spring' :D

My toys that are in long term storage (more than one year) have had the gas drained from the system completely.

In this case the OP wants to work under the car during the winter. Although the suspension bushings are being twisted while the suspension is hanging, it's probable that they will not be damaged by this. There's no reason that the shocks would be damaged by being extended to their limit- that's how their shipped in their packages.

Otherwise, just let the car sit on it's tires. Roll it back and forth once in a while if you worry at night about flat spots. :beer

One issue experienced personally is with the rubber bump stops for the upper A-arms. After a long period of compression, like the front suspension hanging, they can crack or become deformed and fall out. Not sure of the best workaround for it.

Been there, didn't want to do it....

Thanks,

Mike

If you read the thread the intent is to work on the car over the winter .IF I we're to work on the car and it was on jack stands I'd take the wheels off .Think about it --------

OK, I thought about it and I must be thick. If I were not working on the wheels or brakes, why would I take four wheels off just so I could later put four wheels back on?

FWIW I left my rear suspension hanging for a year and it ruined the shocks.

My intension is to do front/rear suspension work over the winter. Putting it on a bunch of 8" blocks and will take a while to do with my schedule. Somewhere I heard about prolonged hanging suspension putting stress on either shocks or control arm parts. Not sure how long can leave hanging. Maybe i'll block the frame then jack up the suspension i'm not working on a bit to avoid any fear.

I did the suspension on Ol' Red a couple years ago. With my schedule, just no way I could get it done all at once. The only thing I did was put an additional support under the front crossmember when I left it set for 3 weeks. Didn't want to take a chance on the front of the frame sagging with that BB having the support that far aft of the centerline of the engine mounts.

My intension is to do front/rear suspension work over the winter. Putting it on a bunch of 8" blocks and will take a while to do with my schedule. Somewhere I heard about prolonged hanging suspension putting stress on either shocks or control arm parts. Not sure how long can leave hanging. Maybe i'll block the frame then jack up the suspension i'm not working on a bit to avoid any fear.

I think your on the right track ,Having restored my 69 twice it was a labor of love .Wish I lived closer .:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom