Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

suspension rebuild question???

Corvette
1975 Red on RED Coupe
I started a full front and rear suspension rebuild last week. While the parts are coming of I've noticed that there are some thigs that aren't right. My first question (probably of many, Stay tuned) is about front and rear shims.

The front. the left had none. the right had three on the rear bolt

The back. left seemed shimed correctly (not sure how many yet because it's the last thing left to pull out.
The right had 1 large and 4 small inboard and NONE on the out board.

When I put this all back together what is a good number to start at on the shims? Thanks in advance Wicky

It's not abnormal that there are a different # of shims on each side. Remember the amount of shims and just put them back there after you're done. After that go to an alignment shop and have a good alignment done (after you retorque all the bolts!)

The old # of shims will give you a ballpark setting but it will not be correct.

Marck

Doesn't sound like either end was anywhere near correct; although every car is different, your observed count is very unusual. When you're done, take it to a shop that's familiar with Corvettes and have a complete 4-wheel alignment done, with particular attention to the rear toe setting/shimming. This is very critical to good handling, and takes time, effort, and patience to do it right, especially getting it split equally on both sides. Good shops around here with Hunter Laser equipment get about $125-$150 for a Corvette 4-wheel alignment done RIGHT. Call first and make sure they have Corvette rear toe shims on hand - if not, buy an assortment and take them with you.

I've seen examples of cars shimmed like that, most of them had damage though.

You can easily see if there's damage (repaired) to the front. Check all welding, and check if the horns are straight (where the bumper extention bolts to) and if the rails where the A-arm cross-shafts bolt in are straght. Also check the rear lower A-arm support (the ear welded on the front transverse frame bar) for warping, damage or welding.

Marck

alignment reminder

Even if one does not alter or restore the front suspension, but the rear suspension does get repaired, then make sure that a 4 wheel alignment gets done.

Alignment in the rear only will not help.

First the front and then the rear. The rear wheels track on the front, so if the front is wrong, then rear must be done again...believe me :eek:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom