Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Swap automatic for 6 Speed

Droptop629

Corvette
2004 Lemans Blue Convertible Brickyard Pace Car
;helpI have a 2004 C5 Commerative Edition Brickyard 400 Pace car with 15k on it and keep imaging swapping the automatic for a six speed.
Is it feasable? Does anyone have an idea as to the cost? Am I crazy for considering this?;shrug Any advice would be appreaciated!

I considered this swap briefly on my last vette (87), and was talked out of it by local a mechanic who specializes in vettes. When he started talking about all that would be needed (eg. transmission, clutch, interior, etc.) and the cost ($6,000+/-), I traded up for for one with a 6 speed.

It's been done on quite a few C5 Vettes I've seen. Most of the guys that are doing this are taking the car to the dragway and running 600-1000hp.

automatic or 6 speed

Hello. In high horsepower cars the automatic is much better in drag racing than a 6 speed manual. first of all, automatics can withstand much more power and torque than any manual transmission except for lencos or the like. Regular 6 speeds definately would spill there guts with horsepower figures above 1000 horse. I had a 1200 hp mustang and I eventually had to buy a custom made gm turbo 400 with manual valve body to go above the 1000 hp mark with reliability. I NEVER had a problem with my automatic and it took the 1200 hp with a 150 hp nitrous shot acting as a intercooler. keep the automatic and run consistent times. You will win more races and break less. edram454.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom