Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Swapping Intake With Edelbrock Performer

Corvette
2017 Arctic White Grand Sport
Well I finally bit the bullet and am swapping out my intake. I was going to do it myself but for the $200 labor charge that I was quoted to replace it it wasn't worth the time to me in the hot garage, particularly since it would take me twice as long as the shop.

For another $30 they are going to rebuild my distributor while they have it out with Lars' recurve kit.

I'm on vacation next week so I probably won't get it back for two weeks. I'll post on what the combo does for seat of the pants acceleration.

Sounds good. Tell us how she is when she's done. Have fun on vacation!! :D :Steer

Well, I seem to have a on-and-off blinker problem. So I have to take a look into that. I have to change out the heater unit, the previous one doesn't work. I am currently working on the antenna motor. Have to put in new cable for it. Shouldn't be too bad, just need to get a rivet gun.

Besides that, she's doing well!! :D

TR

Got the car back with the back and I have to admit that I was a little disappointed because I don't feel any difference, other than perhaps an ever so slight rougher idle.

Was tinkering with the car last weekend when Kenny, Heidi's significant other, noticed that the secondaries are not opening on the new Q'Jet. So now I need to play with that.

Can someone give me some advice on what I am looking for and how to adjust?

Bob

Well I have a Q-Jet 1903 the adjustment for the secondary is a screw on the top side above the choke its the piece the second. Plates are on, there is a spring tension there if they’re not opening back the screw out for less tension.
Sorry about the bad description.

@bobchad.

I have this book called "Rochester Carburators" By Doug Roe and distributed by HP books. Costs about $14.95 US.

This is an excellant resource for the Q-Jet.

I was going to do the same thing as you have done but it looks like it didn't make a big difference in performance.

Good Luck

Enigma

I've added dual exhaust, re-curved the distributor and added the Edelbrock Performer with what I would call slight improvement.

clar2001, thanks for the info. It's a starting point.

Enigma, thanks as well. I'll look into the book and hopefully this will open up the potential that others seem to have experienced with the same mods.

Bob,
I'd check the recurve on your distributor. According to Lar's, if you did that alone, you should notice a "seat of the pants" differance.

I did all the same changes as you and noticed a great improvement (so did the wife!).

First was true dual exhaust with h-pipe - better flow and about a 5-10hp gain (my old exhaust was original and in very bad shape).

Then I recurved the distributor (following Lar's instructions) 5hp+; I can feel full power come in around 2500rmp instead of 3500rpm.

Then replaced the intake with a performer; 10-15hp. I felt the most significant gain with the intake. Much crisper acceleration.

What I also did when I had the carb off was clean it good. It was rebuilt before I purchased it, so it seemed to be in good shape. When all was said and done - I could definately noticed a performance gain.

You've got some good advice from all. Good luck and I hope you get those lost horsey's back :)
Shawn

Maybe it's just me, but if you actually did feel improved performance with the secondaries stuck closed, I'd be worried. From the sound of things, once you get that carb un-stuck, you should feel a world of difference :)

Joe

hello, does anyone have a performance cam along with the manifold upgrade?

robin

Not yet on the cam, but I'm going to put the true duals, with a very mild cam, preformer manifold, recurve kit, with the stock ram horns after the Vette show in Carlisle, I'm just waiting on the 10% off and free shipping. Just that savings I figure will get me a free cam.

I'll keep you posted when I start
Ron

ron , i am going to put a performer intake on hopefully this weekend. i already have headers, true duals, holley carb . and a mystery cam from the previous owner.
i am going to dial indicated the cam lift ,to try and tune the engine better. i am getting as much input from others,so eventually i can choose a cam .
also has any heard any good things about the cambered exhaust pipes?

drive it like ya' stole it!!

robin

robin,

I have the chambered exhaust (MA has them for around $325 delivered to your door) and love it! There are others (most notably Heidi) that has posted threads on this topic. I put an h-pipe in just last week to help minimize some of the "popping" that is experienced with true-duals.
They have a nice throaty sound at idle and some thunder at WOT.

Run a search and see what others say. Either way you look at it, chambered or Flowmasters are a win-win vs. stock exhaust.

Shawn

robin74 said:
ron , i am going to put a performer intake on hopefully this weekend. i already have headers, true duals, holley carb . and a mystery cam from the previous owner.
i am going to dial indicated the cam lift ,to try and tune the engine better. i am getting as much input from others,so eventually i can choose a cam .
also has any heard any good things about the cambered exhaust pipes?

drive it like ya' stole it!!

robin
Robin

Chambered is restrictive.
See what many refer to as my Exhaust topic.
http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/ganeyexhaust.htm

For cam you would like to know what's in it in your case or L-82, L-48 & trans. & gears. Have done many posts on cams.

:cool

Robin, I have the Performer RPM (1500 - 6500 rpm) that I installed with a COMPCAM during an engine rebuild (see sig.). I did too many things at once to attribute or isolate gains to the intake alone. I will say though that I really like the intake and my first thought when you said that you didn't notice an appreciable gain was that there is a restriction somewhere....like stuck secondaries. I started out with a 5.7l TBI and it was too small so I know the manifold will really flow well on the right setup.

You already know that the total solution is only as good as the most restrictive part so fix the carb and then make a judgement. I think you will be much happier. Also, I don't work on carbs but with teh additional airflow, don't you need to re-jet it or something to match up the air/fuel mixture?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom