Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Swapping Intake With Edelbrock Performer

Ganey. i have a motor that is from 1972 (casting #) says its a 2-bolt mains from a chevelle. trans is auto .unknown brand of headers.and a holley 600 cfm carb.
i know there's too many unknowns.maybe i'll just have to build an engine sometime..

"keep your foot on the gas till your butt puckers"

robin:J

Ganey,
I've read your post on chambered exhaust a few times before, but i still don't understand it? What exactly makes chambered a poor choice over a true duals with flomasters etc.
Is it that there is too little restriction (not enough back pressure) to make HP. And if that is the case, would more air flow resolve that issue? (Like a performer intake).
The reason I ask is - well 1) I like to know how things work. 2) after I dumped my original exhaust set up, I did see a significant increase in seat-of-the-pants Hp after installin the chambered and 3) being all about air in & air out, what (in your opinion) is a great setup.
Thanks for the help understanding :)
Shawn

robin74 said:
Ganey. i have a motor that is from 1972 (casting #) says its a 2-bolt mains from a chevelle. trans is auto .unknown brand of headers.and a holley 600 cfm carb.
i know there's too many unknowns.maybe i'll just have to build an engine sometime..

robin:J

Comp Cams XE256 or 260H w/ stock converter & rear gears.

Shawn's 78 said:
Ganey,
I've read your post on chambered exhaust a few times before, but i still don't understand it? What exactly makes chambered a poor choice over a true duals with flomasters etc.
Is it that there is too little restriction (not enough back pressure) to make HP. And if that is the case, would more air flow resolve that issue? (Like a performer intake).
The reason I ask is - well 1) I like to know how things work. 2) after I dumped my original exhaust set up, I did see a significant increase in seat-of-the-pants Hp after installin the chambered and 3) being all about air in & air out, what (in your opinion) is a great setup.
Thanks for the help understanding :)
Shawn

Too much restriction. Note the closing in (reductions in dia.) parts also.

Something I may not have posted was that on my first Hot Rods, initially ran straight through glasspacks. Power had been increased greatly. :cool: During a run it blew the glasspacks off & took off like a blower or nitrous had been switched on !

2) Not surprised over stock single ex. You can run more ex. duration on the cam to help chambered.

3) Get Dynomax Cerma coat headers, duals, Xover pipe & low restriction mufflers like Dynomax.

I adjusted the secondary air valve today and made the quadra bog go away. A simple adjustment that made a big difference to me. I don't know if there is any more power but it sure sounds different when you get on it. I suspect that it had more spring than it needed. Felt stiffer before I adjusted it.

I'll put it thought it's paces after I get the water pump back on. I adjusted the carb, took it out for a spin and as I was pulling into the driveway I noticed a puddle of green fluid where it had been parked while I was adjusting it. Got under the car and had a drip drip drip coming off the lower radiator hose attachment to the water pump up high. Nothing from above.

There had been a wobble in the pump for a while and a "noise from the front of the engine that I assumed was the leaking power steering pump. Anyway, it's off and I am going to order a new Stewart pump tonight.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom