Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Symptoms of Clogged Fuel Injectors

EttevroC

Corvette
1989 Convertible
What are the most common symptoms of clogged fuel injectors?

I know replacing them can be very expensive so would you say a novice could do the job or should I just put the vette up on blocks and wait till next year to have a professional do the work?

Job is easy enough for even a novice. Also, cost is not that much.

Search threads here for Fuel Injector Connection. The owner, Jon, really knows his stuff. He will speak with you on the phone and point you in the right direction.

AFTER REPLACING YOUR INJECTORS, BE SURE TO SAVE THE :w!

Job is easy enough for even a novice. Also, cost is not that much.

Search threads here for Fuel Injector Connection. The owner, Jon, really knows his stuff. He will speak with you on the phone and point you in the right direction.

AFTER REPLACING YOUR INJECTORS, BE SURE TO SAVE THE :w!

iagree.gif
iagree.gif
iagree.gif

Fuel Injector Connection

770-888-1662 Super Fast Serivce!! :thumb
And I mean "SERVICE"!!:D

:beer

Thanks gentlemen, I'll check it out! :beer

What are the most common symptoms of clogged fuel injectors?
I know replacing them can be very expensive so would you say a novice could do the job or should I just put the vette up on blocks and wait till next year to have a professional do the work?

This post was in the ZR-1 board but, ID panel lists an 89 Convertible so I'm going to answer assuming this is an L98 engine we're talking about and not the LT5. Also, if the engine in question is an L98, the moderators need to move this post out of the ZR-1 area so it gets the right exposure.

You can do a set of injectors on an L98 for less than 750 bucks if you shop wisely. I heard the other day from a shop that they get sets of Accels for 600.

You could also, try and have your existing injectors cleaned and flow tested. Sometimes off-engine cleaning works quite well.

As for the R&R, "LT4 Man" is right, the task is not difficult. Any DIY with basic mechanical skills, a good set of handtools which includes a set of Torx bits and a Factory Service Manual can handle the job.

Signs of clogged injectors might be, lean air fuel ratio, excessive unburned hydrocarbons, misfire and rough idle.

Thanks Hib, esp. for the prices, now I have a good starting point to work from.

You can do a set of injectors on an L98 for less than 750 bucks if you shop wisely. I heard the other day from a shop that they get sets of Accels for 600.

The injectors for my ZR-1 were about $600 and this was 2 sets,16 injectors 2 boxes,8 injectors each box of Accels so it would be $300 for 1 set,1 box of 8 injectors for an L98.How much mechanical experience do you have?

Not a great deal, Changed Oil, Break Pads, Clean Carbs, etc... any skill I have is the results of Mr. Chilton and his books. :-)

Not a great deal, Changed Oil, Break Pads, Clean Carbs, etc... any skill I have is the results of Mr. Chilton and his books. :-)

My only thought on this is your dealing with gasoline,any leaks and somethings gonna burn but an L98 would be a walk in the park compared to an LT5.Ive alswys worked on my cars so when the injectors died in my ZR-1 having somebody work on the car was never an option.If you do decide to do this job,take alot of pictures and dont depend on the cheap auto parts store manual.
IMG_0058.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0023-2.jpg
[/IMG]
get-attachmentaspx-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Beings this has really relates more to the regular Corvettte rather than the ZR-1, I'm going to move this thread to C4 tech.

..I know replacing them can be very expensive so would you say a novice could do the job or should I just put the vette up on blocks and wait till next year to have a professional do the work?

I replaced my TPI injectors with a set of aftermarket units. Cost was around $250 and I did the whole thing from start to finish in about 2hrs.

Although it was a TPI swap, here is the tech article I posted a while ago with lots of pics.

Hope that helps. :thumb

Yeah, call John and tell him you have an 89 and what you use it for and if it is stock. 1989 Vettes need 22lb injectors, the most popular injectors are the Bosch III 22lb for $170. Plus I think you need to order a seal kit as well.

Corvette, Camaro, Firebird, GTO Only - L98 CORVETTE, CAMARO, F'BIRD - Fuel Injector Connection

I do know there were injector swap videos on the Corvette Forum. They may have been linked from Youtube. You could try searching both places as I think the video gives a run down of what to do.

What can ya' do to an injector with a hammer, a prybar, a 16mm open end, and a decking screw?

This WON'T get any deposits out of the injector body; it will just allow you to remove loose stuff caught at the screen.

(I think Jon told me about this trick)
47624174d1211902114-gasket-replacement-a-few-pics-00002.jpg

47624175d1211902114-gasket-replacement-a-few-pics-00003.jpg

47624176d1211902114-gasket-replacement-a-few-pics-00004.jpg

47624177d1211902114-gasket-replacement-a-few-pics-00005.jpg

My only thought on this is your dealing with gasoline,any leaks and somethings gonna burn but an L98 would be a walk in the park compared to an LT5.Ive alswys worked on my cars so when the injectors died in my ZR-1 having somebody work on the car was never an option.If you do decide to do this job,take alot of pictures and dont depend on the cheap auto parts store manual.
IMG_0058.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0023-2.jpg
[/IMG]
get-attachmentaspx-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Fantastic Pictures! I love the ZR1 and it's engine! :upthumbs

I replaced my TPI injectors with a set of aftermarket units. Cost was around $250 and I did the whole thing from start to finish in about 2hrs.

Although it was a TPI swap, here is the tech article I posted a while ago with lots of pics.

Hope that helps. :thumb

Very Cool KANE, pictures sure speak louder than words; especially to me., I've bookmarked it

What can ya' do to an injector with a hammer, a prybar, a 16mm open end, and a decking screw?

This WON'T get any deposits out of the injector body; it will just allow you to remove loose stuff caught at the screen.

(I think Jon told me about this trick)
47624174d1211902114-gasket-replacement-a-few-pics-00002.jpg

47624175d1211902114-gasket-replacement-a-few-pics-00003.jpg

47624176d1211902114-gasket-replacement-a-few-pics-00004.jpg

47624177d1211902114-gasket-replacement-a-few-pics-00005.jpg

LOL, I thought this was a joke until I saw the pictures; that's awesome too!

Beings this has really relates more to the regular Corvettte rather than the ZR-1, I'm going to move this thread to C4 tech.

Thanks Tom, sorry about that... I was using my wife's new "Netbook" when I posted and didn't realize where that microscopic pointer was pointing to. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom