Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

T-top finish

VetteV8

Corvette
'81 Bright Blue Metallic
My car is still in the paint shop and I need to know some detail how the finish ought to be.

The T-tops have a metal edge, which is Stainless Steel, I guess.
The paintshop is willing to remove this edge and prep the T-top without the metal edge and re-install after final paint.
He intends to give the metal a dull black finish, then re-install.

My question is, how is the original car done ex-factory?
>Painted black edge?
>Same as rooftop color, or
>polished metal?

The windscreen and rear glass surrounds have also been removed, and will be painted dull black; these parts are anodised aluminium, I think.

I have been thinking to polish these as well, they are currently partially bright aloy, partially black, which I think is the original.

Can this be polished, without distorting them, while they are removed?

Lots of questions, hope to get some ideas what is original, and what would be "nicer" to do.
BTW, the new car color will be medium bright blue-metallic, and it concerns an '81 model

Thanks for any imputs.

Cor

Fiberglass T-tops have a bright stainless trim. Glass T-tops have a black plastic trim. To paint your trim black or leave it polished is a personal taste. Rear window trim moldings were either all black or half black/half anodized bright aluminum. Originally, the black was a semi-gloss black, not flat black. With time the semi-gloss faded to flat black. To polish the aluminum, you will need to remove the anodizing coating first. The anodizing is a clear protective coating to keep the aluminum from losing it's bright finish. With time, it loses it gloss and tends to go cloudy. Again, it's a matter of personal taste.

HTH

Thanks for the comprehensive response!

A practical question here, regarding the removal of the anodized surface of the window trim: the anodized toplayer is very hard, I know, so how/ with what should this be removed [without damaging the shape of the trim! ] Sanding seems the solution. but then, it is a profiled strip, and likely very difficult, if possible at all, to clean up the grooves.
Any ideas/ practical hints?
Is chemical removal an option? and afterwards, new anodizing?

Thanks,
Cor

A practical question here, regarding the removal of the anodized surface of the window trim: the anodized toplayer is very hard, I know, so how/ with what should this be removed [without damaging the shape of the trim! ] Sanding seems the solution. but then, it is a profiled strip, and likely very difficult, if possible at all, to clean up the grooves.
Any ideas/ practical hints?
Is chemical removal an option? and afterwards, new anodizing?

Thanks,
Cor

Your second set of questions enters an area that I have no first hand experience to share with you. The couple of guys that I know that have polished their aluminum trim I believed used a fine grade of sandpaper (probably 500 or 600 grit to start with) to hand sand their trim. One of them used a Eastwood polishing set-up to polish his trim to a bright finish. I also know that one piece of the trim got away from him, ending up bent. He had to aquire another piece of trim and start over with it. He also uses a billet aluminum polish (Mother's brand I believe) to maintain it. The other guy, not sure how he proceeded. He may have used the first buddy's polishing set-up. As far as re-anodizing the trim, that should be possible if you could find someone who could do that. I believe that Eastwood may offer a
anodizing stripper. A trip to their website, Auto Body Repair Tools Shop, Auto Body Supplies, Automotive & Classic Car Restoration - Eastwood, may be worthwhile. Also, Eastwood has a restoration forum there. If you post your questions there, someone may could guide you better. Also, have you consider powder coating your trim?

Sorry couldn't be more helpful this time around.

I'll certainly will look at that site; and you just confirmed my concerns about damaging the trim, while removing the topcoat, and later polishing this fragile part.

Powdercoating? no did not think about that; but would this be practical? I thought that powdercoat is pretty hard [and brittle?], so would that not get damaged while installing it.

Never mind, that you were not be able to get all the answers, Sir; you have been very helpful.
Appreciate it!
Cor

I will leave you with one last thought. Have you considered hitting your local auto salvage yard and picking up a couple of pieces of aluminum trim off of another GM car to practice on before tackling your car's trim? You might even be able to cruise Craigslist and find used trim for your car that could be modded as a trial run. Good luck with your project.

Not a bad idea, to try it on a scrap strip; although, graigs list is not going to help in my case [see my location ;) ]
Cor

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom