Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

tach stopped working this morning

Tepot

Corvette
1974 Metalic Blue L-48 Coupe 4 speed
Darn !!!

Seems like everytime I fixed something. Another thing goes wack !!

Started the car this morning. no problems at all. tach was working good. left it to warm up a bit. got into the car. Tach no longer works.

What could be the problem?

It's probably gonna be difficult to get there I bet

Any suggestions ?

Disconnect the cable at the distributor drive fitting and turn the cable counter-clockwise with an electric drill; if the tach works, the problem is in the distributor drive gears. If the tach doesn't work, the cable is probably broken.

If it's in the drive gears, chances are both the cross gear teeth and the mainshaft teeth that drive it are toast; don't replace just the cross gear - it will be torn up by the mainshaft gear teeth in short order.

:beer

Disconnect the cable at the distributor drive fitting and turn the cable counter-clockwise with an electric drill; if the tach works, the problem is in the distributor drive gears. If the tach doesn't work, the cable is probably broken.

If it's in the drive gears, chances are both the cross gear teeth and the mainshaft teeth that drive it are toast; don't replace just the cross gear - it will be torn up by the mainshaft gear teeth in short order.

:beer
Thanks. I'll try that for sure tomorrow after. work.

Happened to mine last summer and It was the tach drive in the distributor. Had the distributer re-built and replaced the drive.

Did my 73 454 last year. NOT FUN. Do the speedo also while it's ripped apart,(if that's what you have to do). My cable was busted inside the Tach. Take your time, have bandaids for you cut knuckles. Also, if you have to take the dash out be careful not to bust your door ajar swtich when laying inside the car.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom