Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tack on '61

Driver 61

Corvette
1961 White & Red & 2005 White convtb
I am a new owner of a 1961 which has a 350 engine, it has an alternator. Without the orginal generator I have no tack drive. Does anyone have any experance in a replacement tack? I would like it to fit in the orginal tack gauge hole. I don't thing I want go back to a denerator & regulator system.
Appreciate any info, thank you & Aloha

If you are handy with tools you can convert your old mechanical tach to electric for less than $100. If not, some of the speedometer/gauge repair shops sell electric tachometers that look like the originals.
Charles

Auto Meter

I replaced my tach drive with an electric. Although it doesn't have the original looking face, with a round file I was able to make a nice fit in the original hole. Depending on what you want there are options.

Install a tach drive distributor and have your stock tach remagnetized/calibrated and you're good to go.

Ken

Thank you for response, My distributor has a tack connection. It is high engegy system, .. So what do I do, or how do I converted to electronic?
Is their a kit?
Sorry about stupid question.. Thanks again

Charles

Thanks for response...
Does any of the vendors have conversion kits?
Thanks

Here are a few vendors that can help. Never used any of them so I can't make a recommendation.
http://www.corvetteinstruments.com/
Jason at: VetteInstruments@aol.com

Also check ebay.

If you have a tach connection on your distributor you should be able to just connect it to the input on the tachometer, and set the tach for 8 cylinders. You will probably also need a +12 supply and a ground to the tach.
Charles

By tach drive, I mean't a cable drive connection coming out of the distributor. You can use an early (up to '74) distributor. If you want to use an electric tach, then measure your opening and buy a Sun or similar at Autozone. It will work with your current distributor.

Tack Gauge

Thanks guys, really appreciate help.
Aloha Richard

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom