Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Take a look at this clutch (pics)

Paul G

Corvette
96 CE LT4 Convertible
My CE is back after a long winter sitting on jackstands. The old clutch is out and the new is in. Take a look at it. The pressure plate and flywheel both are purple, both have high spots where it looks like disc material has been pressed or baked in to the steel. The mechanic that changed it for me was a little scepticle that a clutch with only 22,000 miles could already be bad. Tell me what you think.

That doesnt look so bad. The portion of the clutch disc that is visable in the picture looks like it still has some meat on it.

Most clutch setups I have changed (mine) had gouges in the pressure plate where the rivets made contact.

22,000 miles is plenty- depending on they type of driving and the experiance with a stick shift the driver has. Yeah, some can last to well over 100K, but....

In A Word...............

HEAT!!!
It's cooked, a clutch can go with a lot less miles if not adjusted properly or just good old abuse. I replaced my clutch last year with roughly 10,000 miles on it and if you know me or ask anyone that does know me about how I drive my 62, you'll know why I have an emoticon named after me here in The CAC :lou
I only replaced mine because I went to a different trans and it had a different spline and my clutch looked like new EVEN with hundreds of smokey burn outs and severe gear slamming, the reason for changing the trans, it went.
I hope you replaced the flywheel and went with a heavy duty combo, even if you don't drive it that hard.

gmjunkie said:
Been Sliped!! Duz Someone Ride the Clutch!! :confused

You bet she did. I bought the car from a couple down in Texas. It was her car. They bought it used with 9K on it, drove it 5 years and sold it to me with 19k on it. I knew the clutch was cooked first time I drove it down in Texas. Bleeder LT4 CE verts are hard to come by. I picked it up anyway even with a toasted clutch.

How many miles should be put on it to call it "broke in" ? I am driving normally right now. Only have about 150 miles on it so far. I cant wait to :bang it a little.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom