Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tank mods necessary for EFI

Ed's 1970

Corvette
1970 Stingray coupe
Hello guys,
I am thinking about possibly doing efi on my 540 big block build. Is it worth the hassle, I don't know at this point, what do you all think?
My car is currently undergoing a frame-off, so everything is disassembled at this point.
The biggest question I have is what has to be done to the stock tank to make efi work?
I just purchased a brand new tank on ebay from mq products. The tank was made in Canada and appears to be very high quality made. It has a 3/8" nipple coming off on the passenger side on the top of the tank. I was thinking may be a good place to connect a return line. Or I could possibly have a sump tig welded on the bottom of the tank where the stock outlet is...and somehow retain the float in the tank for the fuel gauge.
The feed line I am thinking 1/2", the motor is supposed to make in excess of 600 hp.
Also any recommendations on which efi system will work good? I looked at the new Edelbrock XT Proflow. Looks very nice, only problem it is $3600 :chuckle
I figure I can build one myself for much less than that. I do like the edelbrock victor efi manifolds.
I do have some efi experience with my '94 Camaro Z28 (blown LT1, approx 600 horse). I basically redid the entire fuel system on that car along with the motor, way overkill, but it has held up fairly nice. Very streetable hot rod that starts every time.
Thanks Ed

you could leave the sending unit and have a new access welded in for a high pressure pump you would also have to run new fuel line probably a larger feed and a return if you do not have one although there are systems out there now with regulators in the tank which would eliminate the need for a return it could be done with some planning Steve

FUEL TANK

Hello guys,
I am thinking about possibly doing efi on my 540 big block build. Is it worth the hassle, I don't know at this point, what do you all think?
My car is currently undergoing a frame-off, so everything is disassembled at this point.
The biggest question I have is what has to be done to the stock tank to make efi work?
I just purchased a brand new tank on ebay from mq products. The tank was made in Canada and appears to be very high quality made. It has a 3/8" nipple coming off on the passenger side on the top of the tank. I was thinking may be a good place to connect a return line. Or I could possibly have a sump tig welded on the bottom of the tank where the stock outlet is...and somehow retain the float in the tank for the fuel gauge.
The feed line I am thinking 1/2", the motor is supposed to make in excess of 600 hp.
Also any recommendations on which efi system will work good? I looked at the new Edelbrock XT Proflow. Looks very nice, only problem it is $3600 :chuckle
I figure I can build one myself for much less than that. I do like the edelbrock victor efi manifolds.
I do have some efi experience with my '94 Camaro Z28 (blown LT1, approx 600 horse). I basically redid the entire fuel system on that car along with the motor, way overkill, but it has held up fairly nice. Very streetable hot rod that starts every time.
Thanks Ed
i am going fuel injected on my 80,i have a fuel cell with 2 AN fittings,my profile has pics of it,if you need more pics e-mail me jcprince126@aol.com

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom