Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Targa re-furb services

S

sothpaw

Does anyone know how to
contact directly any of the
targa re-furb services?

I'm interested to know the
bottom-line price to fix the
acrylic part of my top. It's not
shattered but has the appearance
of oxidized paint. Body shop
says wet-sanding/buff/clearcoating
it will last maybe 3 years at best.
Cost $225.

I see 2 services in Eckler's for $600
and $800, wondering if directly they
are less expensive.

I spoke to a company that replaces your top with a refundable core charge - I think it is www.astrotops.com. The cost was about $450 with exchange. A local body shop has proposed sanding ( an extremely fine grit ), buffing, clearcoat, etc. for $150. It is a local chevy dealer that does alot of corvette work. I'll probably give it a try for my 96. Good luck!

There's an outfit in north Alabama that advertises in the Corvette magazines that makes a refurbished targa top. It has all new acrylic, the correct color, and it's much cheaper than the GM replacement part. It fits fine - I've been using one for about 5 years now on a car that is frequently parked outdoors during the day, in Texas.
It is not, however, as optically perfect as the OEM part.

If your only problem with yours is "fogging", why not just buff it out yourself? Think of it as just really thick paint, and treat it accordingly.

Yep, Astrotops is that company in north Alabama I was referring to.

But first try working on it with some 1200 or 1600 grit sandpaper - or maybe even 400 - 800 if you've got serious scratches. Work your way up to polishing compound, then Meguiar's swirl remover, then wax.

It's already "clearcoated" - all the way through!

Well for about $800.00 you can get a new top at Astrotops. I got one of their blue tops for my '86 and it was a great buy. They even offered me $300.00 for my old solid top, which I chose to keep.

Good luck with it.............

Is it really clearcoated all the way through?

Thanks for the help guys!
$450 for a new top is much
better than $600!

--I tried buffing, just got the compound
stuck in the cracks. Needs a lot of
sanding and I'd rather pay someone
else!

--Do you think wetsand/buff is all it
needs? I've asked this before here and
that's what was said, but this body
shop guy suggested it be finished
with a shot of clear coat also.

Thanks again for the replies!

If you wet sand it and polish it properly, you shouldn't need the clear coat. I wouldn't be surprised if you had more trouble with the clear coat in the long run (I think it would peal off)

I did this...

When I bought the vette (84) it only came with a hard top. I didn't have a core to trade in, but I bought the whole new blue top for $650ish. With a trade in it only would have been $450ish. Give this website a try.
--Drew:w

What would be the recommended procedure? Wet sand with a very fine grit - do I sand in only one back and forth direction? Then use what? a fine finishing compound, then wax? Can someone be a little more specific about the process? - especially someone that did it. THANKS - I may want to try this myself.

vetfever,
69myway has buffed it,
knows how to wet sand.
Search for "targa" and
you'll see what he told
me to do.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom