Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

TB coolant bypass 2.0

KANE

Corvette
Dark Blue 1982 Trans Am(s): Polo Green 1995 MN6
Many of us with TPI have bypassed the throttle body's coolant passage. I'd say that is "TB coolant bypass 1.0".

Unfortunately, it leaves most folks with unsightly fittings where hoses once connected on the front and side, that is, unless you remove the coolant passage entirely....

L82_TPI_side.jpg

Look closely- NO COOLANT PASSAGE!

Although the picture above is from around April and I've been happily driving my Vette since June, you can plainly see there are no fittings on the side and front of the throttle body. I have custom Aeroquip fuel lines that run in the place once occupied by the side fitting. I removed the entire passage in order to clean up the appearance of the throttle body.

This isn't for the faint of heart- you'll be cutting into the throttle body coolant passage. Once you start- there is no turning back.

However, this is a very easy mod to do. After unbolting the IAC / coolant passage from the throttle body, you will need to remove the coolant passage portion completely, taking extra care to ensure the IAC passage remains intact. You'll need to retain the three Allen screws and fittings that surround the IAC's portion of the housing. This is best accomplished with a cutting wheel and a Dremel.

Afterwards, you can clean up the edges of the IAC housing with a grinding wheel to give it an almost OEM appearance. As for sealing the IAC passage, you can also use the IAC portion of an OEM gasket or make your own.

Simple. Clean. Effective. Your throttle body will look as if it never needed a coolant passage when you are done.

Essentially, you'll want to retain only the portion of the original housing necessary for the IAC.

The gasket below shows how much of the passage you'll retain-

attachment.php

Why did you go with TPI and not stick with a carb setup?

What kind of wheels are those and what size, and did you lower the vette?

Looks great by the way.

Why did you go with TPI and not stick with a carb setup?

I've been building, tuning, and modifying EFI systems for 13 years. I like the reliability of TPI.

What kind of wheels are those and what size, and did you lower the vette?

17" Torqlite wheels with 255/50 tread. I adjusted the rear ride height but the front is set at the factory height. The car looks lower because of the side pipes.

Looks great by the way.

Thanks!

Throttle body coolant passage removed!

Here is what it looks like when complete. You'll never see the underside where the passage used to be once the throttle body is re-installed.

DSCF0296.jpg

The Wheels are simply awesome.....

Did you have to do anything special for them to fit? are they 17 /8's?

what's the offset?
DO you know the american racing part number:?

I was looking at the Torqlite's but they didn't spec them for c3's...
Do you think they'll fit a 77?
Thanks dude..,
I have some tpi questions too..
BTW your vette is simply sweet..
timg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom