Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Throttle Body Coolant Bypass Mod

Retroguy

Corvette
Luv '69 & older Vettes
Has anyone performed this Throttle Body Coolant Bypass Mod? The mod where you disconnect the small rubber coolant lines running to and from the bottom of the T.B. in order to no longer heat up the T.B. for very cold weather driving (whew! that's a lot to say). I'm learning about this mod which can be done for cars driving in milder weather, like southern Ca or Florida. It has no negative effect on mild weather driving cars, and many say the benefits are that there's no danger of coolant leaks that could work their way down to the touchy optispark and it's better to have cooler air in the T.B. than warm air.

Last edited:
85INSNOW.jpgDone it in my old 85 & on the 93.I drive in the winter if there isn't salt or brine on the roads. Never had a problem.Thats my old 85 & the old 78. same storm
78 snow.jpg

Last edited:
Well that's good to hear. I was told the throttle body plates could freeze and become stuck if it got too cold, hence the flow of warm radiator fluid through the T.B.
I just did the T.B. coolant bypass mod, as I described previously, this afternoon. Went fairly easy in my 1996 LT1. Was able to do it for free (no trips to the auto parts store) utilizing one of the original hoses for the bypass. I just say no to warmer air in the throttle body!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom