Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tech questions about a 79 i might buy.

Offbeat Octane

Corvette
1977 Metallic Blue Coupe
So i'm really hoping to have my own C3 here really soon. Looked at one today, and there are a few issues that i don't know exactly what they are. It's a 79, 350, automatic transmission with 65k on it. Paint looks new, i don't think it is original, except for a few small chips/scratches. So here goes.

- the biggest one is that the transmission seems to hesitate between gears. It doesn't shift until around 4.5 - 5k rpm, even with relatively light pedal pressure. So a big deal? I have no clue on this one. When you open up the throttle, it seems to move between gears alot smoother.

- Second is the AC and fan do not work at all. I think its just a fan and low gas pressure. Big expense?

- Cruise Control is not funcational

- Speedometer stopped working

- The front bumper has cracking where it looks like it was bumped into something.

- Front Calipers have a slow leak, probably the seals.

- the hoses will nee to be replaced, at least some of them.

- needs new weather stripping.

The guy is asking 7 grand, and i am not sure if it is worth it, any advice/things to double check would be nice.
Thanks folks,:upthumbs
Chad

Unless you can get it for $3K, run, don't walk away, and look for another one; it needs about $6K worth of work to make it functional.
:beer

I agree with the above. The list you provided is just the start. It's what you don't know will drive the costs through the roof. $3K sounds fair for what you're looking at.

OK, lets calm down a little. . .offering $3,000 will be an insult. First things first, a TH350 shouldn't be hard to come by, no need to put in a 6 speed OD.
AC not working on a 26 year old car shouldn't be a factor, it has T-tops - and how much will you need AC in Michigan? Cruise control again is something you probably won't need in an older 'second car' Will you be doing a lot of long hauls in it if you have something more dependable? Front bumper can be had from Wilcox for about $300. Calipers could go for about the same. Hoses shouldn't be too much either, compared to the others. 9 piece weatherstrip kit is $235. You should be concerned with things like exhaust, will it pass your state's emissions test. Do the headlights raise? Are the frame and floorboards solid?
$7,000 is a lot of money for a 79, even in good condition. If you were selling it, people would tell you it was worth $13, to buy it they tell you to offer less than half.
If you can repair all these things yourself instead of taking them to a garage, $5,000 would not be a bad price. I notice how a lot of people put money in their cars that doesn't raise the value one iota. It's all up to you, what you want it for, what you will pay for one, and what you can do with it. There are other Corvettes around you besides that one, check around and compare. Just my opinion.

Craig

Tranny may not be a big issue. could be a vaccuum modulator, bad kickdown cable, lots of cheap stuff. regardless, a TH350 is at MAXIMUM $1000 to have the original rebuilt at a place like Aamco, a small indy shop would probably be lots less, maybe $700. I wouldn't worry about it, just maybe factor it into the price, and use it as a bargaining chip. lots of times you can get a good deal on a car if you are willing to put a little effort into it, like replacing the weather stripping, getting stupid stuff like dome lights to work, etc, then you end up with a really nice car. most people don't realize you can take care of all those little details yourself, and really increase the value of a car. Some people won't take the time to do that. it takes you an afternoon to replace a carpet kit, and make a dome light work, and then the car looks a thousand times better for less than $300.00. there are lots of good cars out there with little things wrong that really won't take long to fix. this car might be one of them. A/C units are simple, although don't ever let someone tell you "oh, the a/c just needs charging". that's a bunch of bull $hit. if there's no freon in the system, there's a reason, the reason is it leaked out from somewhere. usually a hose. even a compressor is only about $100.00 from pep boys, and you can get all the original style GM decals to slap on it make it look original. unless you're looking for some garage show piece that you don't plan on using, don't give any regard to miles. cars that are 20+ years old have lots of miles. you're going to drive it anyway right? you'll put miles on it, who cares. I just bought an all original "survivor" '73, it has documented 101,000 miles on it. in the past 3 years, it's seen 1600 miles. since i bought it Sunday, it's received 500 miles, and will see plenty more. who cares. I'm driving that car everyday it's nice outside. I didn't pay $9700 for it to sit in the garage. If it gets too ragged from driving every day, i'll fix what breaks. if that still sucks, i'll sell it and get another one. Chevy made lots of them.

Too many nice cars in the $7000 range. Keep looking. I've seen 79 Vettes that need nothing for that kind of money. Honestly I wouldn't go with the 79. If you like the 78 up style go for a 78 Pace Car or Anniversary edition. Maybe an 81 (no fuel injection) or possible an 82 Collector Edition.

For what its worth I paid less then half that for a rust free car out of San Diego with no where near the problems.

Jim

I'd skip this one and keep looking. Too many others out there in much better shape for not that much more. As John said, you probably have about $6000 of repairs from what you listed.
What scares me even more is that it sounds like it wasn't taken care of very well and that could mean deeper problems still to be discovered and those could end up being even pricier.

Its cool, i found a really sweet 77 for 6900, test drove it tonight, and i think i am gonna get it.
The paint is new and flawless, except for a small small chip on the airdam under the bumper.
transmission is soo smooth, no squeaks or rattles.
AC is disconnected but works, i think not sure.
Interior is gorgeous, except for the vent fins are broken on the center vents, and the rear carpet has a few stains.
The turn signal lever has broken off, not sure how to fix it yet, but really seems like a small deal.
Under the hood it has new valve covers, and on the road test it seemed to have way more than 180hp, i have no idea what upgrades it might have under those covers though.
Tires are new, wheels aren't stock and have a little curb rash, again no big deal.

This car seems soo amazing for the price, any tips for any thing i should double check.
Thanks,
Chad

What ever I buy is definitely going to be driven everywhere.

Offbeat Octane said:
Its cool, i found a really sweet 77 for 6900, test drove it tonight, and i think i am gonna get it.
The paint is new and flawless, except for a small small chip.
transmission is soo smooth, no squeaks or rattles.
AC is disconnected but works, i think not sure.
Interior is gorgeous, except for the vent fins are broken on the center vents, and the rear carpet has a few stains.
The turn signal lever has broken off, not sure how to fix it yet, but really seems like a small deal.
Under the hood it has new valve covers, andon the road test it seemed to have wayy more hp than 180, i have no idea what upgrades it might have under those covers though.
Tires are new, wheels aren't stock and have a little road rash, again no big deal.

This car seems soo amazing for the price, any tips for any think i should double check.
Thanks,
Chad

1977 is a great year. Last year of flat rear window, first year of upgraded interior (fits many more aftermarket radios), Yes, only 180 HP but lots of torque. The manual transmission version did 0-60 in under 7 seconds. One cool things about the L-48 (180hp) was that in didn't have a pollution air-pump on the 48 state version. It would only take a few mods to really wake up that 350. A nice set of headers with (true) dual ehaust (dump the Y pipe and stock catalytic converter) and add two high flow cats. Add Borla or Magnaflow mufflers and a K&N air filter and air cleaner lid. A holley carb (or re-work the stock Quadra-jet) and a mild cam. Awesome!

I'd take time to write down what you want to do with a vette. If you plan to drive it more than around town, the extra storage space of a 78 and up might be important to you. Maybe the flat window vettes look more appealing to you. It's better to think your plans out before you slap your money down.
Chiller

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom