Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Techron Fuel Additive?

Piston slap may not be a bad thing when the engine is cold. I used to worry about a bit of knocking in some of my other cars especially the Toyota truck I had (turbo 2.4 litre gas). I was told that some high performance engines should sound a little loose when they are cold since they have internal parts that expand. I also remember something about high performance pistons (hyperetic? Spelling probably wrong) that actually were oval shaped when they were cold and turned round when they warmed up. I don't know if any of that is true.

I put Chevron Supreme (92) octane in my Corvette exclusively and I still have a little piston slap for the first hundred feet or so. I have to go a couple of extra miles out of my way to get Chevron, but It's been a good performer for me. I got my Vette used and the previous owner probably just put 'whatever' into it. I had to replace my gas sending units to the tune of $1300. I wouldn't take a chance with other gas on a regular basis. -
Ron
sorbet02 said:
aid auto store is having a sale this weekend on techron
6.99 for 12 oz and 9.99 for 20 oz.should i get the 20 or 12????
when the car is cold i hear piston slap so im thinking 20 oz
if the slap is from carbon build up...........:ugh

The higher the octane number, the higher the carbon deposits and injector fouling. The additives to achieve the higher number contribute to this. Many manufacturers ( Honda, Volvo, etc. ) recommend not using high octane fuel unless the vehicle is designed for it just for this reason. Our techline always tells us to advise the customer to use high quality 87 octane fuel if the vehicle is designed for it. Using Techron Concentrate regularly in a vehicle designed for premium fuel is a good idea, no matter which brand of fuel you use.

Hoosierdaddy and Scottsredvette:
At one time, Chevy was rebranding Techron and selling it as a chemical fix for mechanical problems. They may still do this.

All:
A small amount of Techron, because of its molecular weight, gets by the rings and drops out into the oil. (This is OK and actually promotes cleaning in other areas of the engine, like the valves and combustion chambers.) This contribution to the oil increases your oil’s viscosity (just a bit). The manufacturer references multiple treatments (for obvious reasons) but also references an application every 3,000 miles (oil change anyone?). So, I add a bottle right before an oil change (when viscosity, due to normal shear has been reduced) and then change my oil. The cleaning affect is realized and oil viscosity has been minimally impacted.

MM-C5 and Dave123:
Techron is present in Chevron gasoline, but in smaller dosages. The dosage present in gasoline is a “keep clean” dosage and the dosage present in the Techron additive is a super “cleanup” dosage (the industry used to refer to it as a “mouse milk” dosage). So, in theory, if you used Chevron gasoline, you should not need the Techron super-dose. However, if you’ve purchased your vehicle used (like I did), you don’t know what the pervious owner did, or, if you have had to use another brand, it never hurts to use Techron and be safe.

LLC5:
Octane number (of a commercially developed gasoline) does not necessarily contribute to increased combustion chamber deposits and injector fouling. Gasoline quality, cleanliness, and refining processes have a greater affect on deposit formation. You’re probably right about additives used to increase octane, as they are an after-thought and may have received only cursory harm testing. It’s been a while since I’ve worked in Fuels, but I can provide you with greater clarity around this issue if you like.

Have Fun!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom