Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Techron fuel additive.

Pseudomind

Corvette
2002 MY Roadster
I was in Wal-Mart the other day looking for some of this and looked at a good number of fuel injector cleaner bottles, and not one had a ingredient listing on the bottle (this product contains petroleum based substances was listed) .

I understand Chevron sells this in black bottles with the word Techron on them, but I have no idea where a Chevron station here in Jacksonville, Florida is located.

I need some backing here, but I am pretty sure Paul, (c4C5 specilaist) in one of his seminars at Cruise-Fest suggested that after so many miles, to add one of these bottles to a tank of gas and run it through your Corvette.

Now what I am trying to locate are some injector cleaner brand names which have the needed Techron in them.

Thanks

I have looked at Wal-Mark also, they have it sometimes. I think you will have better luck at an automotive store like Autozone, O'Reilly's, Advanced Auto, Pep Boys etc. They all have it.

Psuedo,

"Techron" is proprietary to Chevron, so you have to look for the black bottle. It does come in two sizes, one to treat a 12 gal. tank and one to treat a 20 gal. tank. Costco around here sells a 4-pack of the 12 gal. treatment for around $20 - way better than the 6.89 per that I usually pay for the Monte and Vue. The only place locally that consistently carries the 20 gal. treatment around here (Corvette size) is Auto Zone. If you can't find the 20 gal. size, you can use the 12 gal. and just fill the Vette up partially.

Tractor Supply Store sells it as well but they aren't local for me. And if you get desperate, you can get it onine at Autobarn.net for a vulume discount which will help defray the shipping cost.

The one exception is that GM dealers sell the Chevron stuff in a rebranded "GM" bottle. It's the exact same shape bottle though and the same contents according to the parts guy at the local Pontiac dealer.

Are you referring to Chevron's black bottle?

eric said:
"Techron" is proprietary to Chevron, so you have to look for the black bottle

Wal-Mart has additives in black bottles as well as injector cleaner, but they do not mention anything about Techron. Do you thnk this is a marketing gimmick to make one think they are buying something with Techron in it?

Thanks

Pseudomind said:
Are you referring to Chevron's black bottle?
Yup.

Pseudomind said:
Wal-Mart has additives in black bottles as well as injector cleaner, but they do not mention anything about Techron. Do you thnk this is a marketing gimmick to make one think they are buying something with Techron in it?

Thanks
Sounds a little fishy to me. However, the Chevron bottle does have a distinctive shape.

- Eric:w

I bought Techron,black bottle ,Chevron at tractor supply Sebring.Thats only 150 miles from you. Stuff seems to work and I add a bottle every 1500 miles or so.I also liked Tractor Supply my first time.I also watched vetts,BMW's and mini's race.It might be worth the trip for a bottle of Techron.

I stopped ata Auto Zone last night and purchased a 20 gallon bottle for $10.64 plus the 7% for the governor, which made it over $11.00 and change.

Just what is this stuff? I am going to have to do some looking as certainly I should be able to find it cheaper somewhere else.

DRTH VTR said:
20 gallon? 20 ounces?

What I saw is that they have bottles for 12 gallons of gas and 20 gallons of gas for sale. I did not look to see how many ounces are in the bottles.

Pseudomind said:
What I saw is that they have bottles for 12 gallons of gas and 20 gallons of gas for sale. I did not look to see how many ounces are in the bottles.
Seems a little high,I was thinking it was more like $ 6 for 20 oz's.Sorry I misunderstood the 20 gallon deal.Wow that would be $30.25 for a 55 gallon drum.Cheaper than gas!To be honest I've never noticed any diffence when i've used like -gunk and stp cleaner in vehicles.But Tec. seems to give a boost in gas mileage and performance.

vett boy said:
Seems a little high,I was thinking it was more like $ 6 for 20 oz's.Sorry I misunderstood the 20 gallon deal.Wow that would be $30.25 for a 55 gallon drum.Cheaper than gas!To be honest I've never noticed any diffence when i've used like -gunk and stp cleaner in vehicles.But Tec. seems to give a boost in gas mileage and performance.

I think I remember a thread advising the use of this additive to eliminate the sticking gas gauge problem in C5 corvettes, does anyone recall this problem and advice? The GM dealer where I buy it charges $21.00 [20 oz] plus tax for it. Seems a bit high.

Jack R Lawson said:
I think I remember a thread advising the use of this additive to eliminate the sticking gas gauge problem in C5 corvettes, does anyone recall this problem and advice? The GM dealer where I buy it charges $21.00 [20 oz] plus tax for it. Seems a bit high.

Jack, you are right. There has been quite a lot of info on this
helping the sticking gas gauge problem. I use it in my Mag
red Vert.

Up here, we can get it in a local supply store(V.I.P.) usually
for around $9 and 6 to 7 when on special.

Pseudomind said:
I was in Wal-Mart the other day looking for some of this and looked at a good number of fuel injector cleaner bottles, and not one had a ingredient listing on the bottle (this product contains petroleum based substances was listed) .

I understand Chevron sells this in black bottles with the word Techron on them, but I have no idea where a Chevron station here in Jacksonville, Florida is located.

I need some backing here, but I am pretty sure Paul, (c4C5 specilaist) in one of his seminars at Cruise-Fest suggested that after so many miles, to add one of these bottles to a tank of gas and run it through your Corvette.

Now what I am trying to locate are some injector cleaner brand names which have the needed Techron in them.

Thanks

I got some at K-Mart the other day. It was around 9 bucks a bottle

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom