Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Temperature guage not accurate

My 1977 vette runs well apart from this issue, the temperature guage when starting the engine from cold shows 220 degrees. Then goes up nearly in to the red after a few minutes, the temp guage and temp sender unit has been replaced along with a new covered wire to connect to the temp sender on the wiring loom.

The engine temperature when measured with a digital unit shows my engine, running at a modest 180 degrees. Therefore the problem I have been told, is that of a resistance problem in the wiring system. And I'm told not to worry about it.

However I find it difficult when stuck in traffic to watch the guage creep deep in to the red . Expecting the engine to crack at an moment, i have also put in a new fan and clutch and the cooling system has no leaks. I had the radiator recored too , but this temperature issue worries me due to the huge sum of money invested in my baby.

Peter

Considering you have a 42-year old system, I'd do the following. First, check for high resistance in the sender to gauge wiring and/or connections.

If the wiring is ok, replace the sender.

If the wiring has no high-resistance and the sender is new and you still have a problem. I'd replace the gauge.

If it weren't such a huge PITA to get the gauges out, I would replace mine. I have almost the same issue. I have been through 3 senders from different vendors, the wire is intact and my gauge reads a consistent 20*-25* high. I can read my billet water neck @ 179* and the gauge will be reading 200*-210*. If nothing else, when I have to get in there for some reason, I think I'll pull the needle off the pin and replace it so it will be reading closer to the actual temp. I just don't want to get that far into the dash (AGAIN) for just that.

If it weren't such a huge PITA to get the gauges out, I would replace mine. I have almost the same issue. I have been through 3 senders from different vendors, the wire is intact and my gauge reads a consistent 20*-25* high. I can read my billet water neck @ 179* and the gauge will be reading 200*-210*. If nothing else, when I have to get in there for some reason, I think I'll pull the needle off the pin and replace it so it will be reading closer to the actual temp. I just don't want to get that far into the dash (AGAIN) for just that.
I went through several as well doing my build but actually found one that was really close. Guess I got lucky...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom