Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Temps?

indycallaway

Corvette
87 TT Black/Tan (#23)
I have 1987 #23..... What temps do you guys run? This morning I was running 180 Water and 170 Oil.... Just now I went for a spin and it was running 220 and 200... Then it went to 226 and the fans kicked in but it never went back down. It stayed at 215 for 9 miles until i got home...Help!!

Thats not that uncommon. Your factory presets for your fan is ~228.

You probably have some gunk in your radiator that could be rodded out. Put in a 160 thermostat. Your oil will be fine at 200.

If you really want to cool it down put in a Callaway radiator. $5-600.

Thanks... I am thinking I will flush the radiator and install the 160 stat....

Thanks... I am thinking I will flush the radiator and install the 160 stat....

Does your car have the "external" t-stat still fitted??

If so, definately go w/ the lower temp t-stat, back in the "traditional" t-stat (housing) location :cool

Doing that, helped my B2K lower its temps by ~ 30-40 deg.

Does your car have the "external" t-stat still fitted??

If so, definately go w/ the lower temp t-stat, back in the "traditional" t-stat (housing) location :cool

Doing that, helped my B2K lower its temps by ~ 30-40 deg.
I don't think 87's had the external thermostat. Use a 160 thermostat and updated sensor to turn the fans on at a lower temperature. Make sure you clean out between the radiator and condenser, always a lot of debris.

I have seen a couple of 87's w/ the external t-stat but I guess it could have been an "upgrade" :confused

I think Magic Dragon still has an external on his 87: http://www.callawayownersgroup.com/COTM/2003July/cotm.htm

Here is an 87 however, the inlet for the air has been changed as well...

374d_1.JPG

33eb_1.JPG
Chris, That picture of the engine is not an 87. It's an 88 or newer. I sent my 88 back to Callaway in 90 and they switched it back to the orriginal design. They said it would work better.

Chris, That picture of the engine is not an 87. It's an 88 or newer. I sent my 88 back to Callaway in 90 and they switched it back to the orriginal design. They said it would work better.

I agree about ditching the external t-stat, that is what they said to do w/ my 89 and it runs much cooler - I did save the orig. parts though.

Re: those pics - the car is indeed an 87. It might have the newer Wonderbar arrangment, as I have seen that changed on a couple other 87's :cool

Here is Magic Dragon's 87 though:
pict9.jpg

..and another 87 - but w/ traditional hoses/t-stat :cool
img_1669.jpg

A/c system must have been changed on the 87. It's the later design compressor. Nippo instead of Delco.

A/c system must have been changed on the 87. It's the later design compressor. Nippo instead of Delco.

Wow! You and Surf are SHARP Eyed :eek

I have seen the car in person and when I did, the intake was black - and as I recall, not in that great of shape, finish wise.

That now explains the external thermostat and Nippondenso a/c compressor. :beer

however, Magic Dragon's B2K is original and it does have the external t-stat (his car is a LATE 1987 though). :cool

My dad had a stuck thermostat in 1992.... The callaway tech switched it back to original set up so it DOES NOT have the external tstat anymore....

Funny how all cars have individual tendencies. My 89-#17 in 13 years of ownership runs cool as a cucumber! Hardly ever over 200, even in the heat etc. It has always amazed me and I felt unusual compared to most. Wayne suggested eliminating the t-stat at his Special Collection inspection, BUT I guess I'm superstitious, I won't mess with a great thing until it changes.

Funny thing...this guy is threatening to sue me for slander :L :L All b/c I reported him to ebay and busted his azz using a stolen photo to cover up his dirty motor. :D

I then informed him that slander is spoken and libel is written. :D

Funny thing...this guy is threatening to sue me for slander :L :L All b/c I reported him to ebay and busted his azz using a stolen photo to cover up his dirty motor. :D

I then informed him that slander is spoken and libel is written. :D
He should show us what he is selling-not what it should look like. Very misleading. I hope I never run across someone like this. I purchased a couple of Callaways without ever looking at them in person. Trust is very important and hard to come by these days. Thanks to the Callaway forum members for helping out current and future owners.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom