Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Testing New Heater Core Before Installing

trhao

Given the labor to get at a heater core, do you guys test new ones before installing? Just sitting here and thinking about this job... I figure I might plumb up the new core to an air compressor, give it 10 or 15 psi or more and submerge it in a bucket of water, watch for bubbles. Good practice or am I being too paranoid? :eyerole It's an ACDelco service replacement, made in Mexico I think.

I would think it would be cheap insurance for you! At least you can
verify that it was not leaking before you install it, then if it DOES
start to leak, at least you won't be saying "Damn, I should have
checked that suckah before I put it in". I would check it if it was me,
and I would do the checking before I ripped the insides of the Vette
apart to do the swap. Just my 2 piasters worth...........
Andy :w

I would think it would be cheap insurance for you! At least you can
verify that it was not leaking before you install it, then if it DOES
start to leak, at least you won't be saying "Damn, I should have
checked that suckah before I put it in". I would check it if it was me,
and I would do the checking before I ripped the insides of the Vette
apart to do the swap. Just my 2 piasters worth...........
Andy :w

smiley4.gif with Dad!~!! :thumb

:D

Given the labor to get at a heater core, do you guys test new ones before installing? Just sitting here and thinking about this job... I figure I might plumb up the new core to an air compressor, give it 10 or 15 psi or more and submerge it in a bucket of water, watch for bubbles. Good practice or am I being too paranoid? :eyerole It's an ACDelco service replacement, made in Mexico I think.

Your not being paranoid at all, we have had several cores that were new replacements of all different manufacturers that leaked or even seeped from joints, and more so from aluminum replacements. we tested all before installation, you learn from your mistakes...hahhah... I have...
I would not recommend air, fashion a rubber plug or stopper for one tube then use another rubber plug and put a hole through it large enough for a vacuum line connector and use a hand vacuum pump and pull a vacuum on it see if it leaks down, the only reason I say this is I've seen them blow out because of a thin spot in material, then supplier wouldn't take it back.

Just food for thought

:beer
Dave

Last response on the heater core

You just said the magic word MEXICO. I've done this job 3 times. Once to replace the origional and then to repair the mexican replacement that leaked at the in/outlet tubes tank; then install the repaired unit from a radiator shop in the neighborhood. Seems may-he-co doesn't use silver solder on their repairs; according to the radiator shop, that makes the in/out tank seams brittle. Wrestling the core housing back into the car causes stress leaks at the seam. Silver solder is able to survive the install. I have a '71 non AC. I removed the firewall holding the heater core [about 5 screws], accessable from the engine bay. Took the core and firewall to the radiator shop. They soldered the core in/out tank to fit the firewall. Re-installed the core and the hoses fit with room to spare. No runs, drips, leaks in 3 years. Last post on this !! Promise

I figure ACDelco is as good as or better than any other options I'm aware of - made in Mexico or not. Anybody have any better recommendations? Or take it in for some additional solder regardless...

thanks for the responses

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom