Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Texas Mile Weekend

boomdriver

Corvette
87 z-51
Finally I get to attend an event thats about the home builder, the pro, teams, performance shops and just about anyone.

The event is shameless. There is no competition against another car or driver. Its one car, on the line, a signal to GO, and then flat out see how frigging fast you can go in a measured 1 mile straight flat concrete runway.

Its my pleasure to tell everyone that the single most popular car there was the Corvette....stock, Z06, ZR1, blown, Nitrous, all the above. There was everything else, Caddys, BMX, Nissan GTX, Benz AMG, you name it, it was there. Gallardos, Ford GTs, rare Porches, everything. Saw the worlds record holding Porche with a 1 mile speed of 236...(not today though).

But the Vettes had the spectators AND other drivers on their feet because they were consistantly bringing in the top speeds in each class. They sounded the best too. Best Vette I saw was a modified ZO6 that ran 222 in the mile. Not bad for a car with a stereo a license plate and a/c..

You have'nt lived until you see a 6' Blond in a tank top, short shorts and heels pushing a Ford GT to the line.....

Strangest was the mustang GT that had a FORD PowerStroke diesel with a huge nitrous bottle. Broke 200 and left rubber the first 1/4 mile.

A Ferrari (or Lambo, I forget) rolled at 200+ when he popped his drag chute and the 25+ mph cross wind pulled the chute sideways and he did the roll for about 100 yds...The guy survived with a very large problem...a real expensive car that was wadded up like a paper bag...
..."hello, Geico?" yeah, right.

No records this weekend with the crosswind that often changed into a head wind. A Turbo Kawasaki ZX14 rider told me that they got lucky previous years with 35 mph tail winds and lots of record runs were made.

Lots of Bikes there....Hyabusas set up for top end geared so high they had to slip the clutch thru the 1st 100 yds just to get rolling. Topping out often at 230+
Record is 255 on a 'busa...
I can only imagine what 200mph on a bike is like with a 25 to 30 mph cross wind. Did'nt slow any of these guys, or gals. Many of the bike riders were women aged from 21 to 50. Amazing. One middle aged woman warmed her 'Busa tire by burning it so easily and walking it to extreme side angles to get the edges hot...That one's gonna be in the magazines and on the internet with all the cameras taking shots of the amazing burnout. Clouds of tire smoke and that 'busa was not above 5000 rpm... Those things sound like an F-18 when they pass at top speed. Got wood?

Cool event where you finished your run, made the lap around the landing strip, and got back in line if you did not want to park and make adjustments.

Goliad Texas, every March and Oct. Its worth your time to find a way to go. Not overly crowded YET, and you are free to walk everywhere and speak to drivers, techs, everyone. Good people.

PS, I got to admit, the FULL Carbon Fiber Viper was HOT !....still just a Viper.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom