Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Thank God for Castrol Syntec!

Mad-Mic

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1987 Redskin Red Coupe
waiting for some friends to show up tonight to go out to the spot and have some fun i was sitting there idling just chillen. i was waiting for a 90 ZR1, 02 Z06 with LPE Magnusson SC, H/C C5, 2 full bolt on LS1 FBodies. they all show up we roll out to get gas for a few of the guys and driving the 2 miles to the gas station i notice the water temp climbing, 235, 240, 245, 250, and i turned in shut down. thought i was just low on coolant but the car was too hot to check. let it cool down and didn't really think nothing of it. grabbed 2 bottles of water. thought the car was just holding heat due to sitting in a parking lot idling for 20 mins and being low on coolant so we pull out after i cool her down to around 200 but was still too hot to put water in it. same thing water temp climbed up. pulled into another parking lot about 3 miles down the road. 250 degrees i shut her down and left the key on and popped the hood. water temp climbed, 255, 260, 270, 280, 291 before it came down! hi temp fan kicked on but it seems the low temp fan is toast. low temp fan only comes on at 230 degrees so you hardly even use the fans cruising. i couldn't believe my eyes 291 degrees! oil was only 220. cooled her down to 180 degrees and added to 2 huge bottles of avion water to the overflow since it was bubbling over earlier. fired her up no smoke no ticking besides the normal injector noise, pulled out and my buddy with the bolt on LS1 SS followed me home. got to a light as soon as we pulled out. when it turned green i rolled on the gas pretty hard and broke the tires loose all the way thru 1st and hit second. all is good still running strong. buddy said no smoke or anything so i think i missed a bullet this time...lol oh well would of gave me a good reason to finish up the 388 project!

i'm just ****ed because some big races was going down tonight i wanted to see and also get a run or 2 in myself

Yeah Castrol is pretty good oil. I remember my neighbor had regular conventional castrol in his 67, and it blew the oil filter off. Well all the oil drained out obviously, and when he noticed it and came home, it was bone dry, he did not drive very far though. Filled it back up, no bearing noises and what not. Good to hear you lucked out bud.

Wow, what kind of filter was your neighbor using? Was it a FRAM?;)

Thats one nice thing about having an oil temp gauge. Even though the water temp was sky hi , the engine hadnt actually absorbed the heat. If the oil temp would have been higher , 260 280 , there would have been more concern for possible damage . I do believe the oils we use today are the best ever.

i have had the oil temp north of 240 a few times with no problems. this night i don't think it got past 220 or 230 at the most. my main concern was warping one of these aluminum heads.

Mic, I'd still get a hydrocarbons test on the coolant. It really sounds like the classic symptom of a head gasket leak. How's the oil look?
[RICHR]

Mad-Mic said:

Say it ain't so!!! I expected something like that with FRAM but no Delco.:L:L:L

Edmond said:
Say it ain't so!!! I expected something like that with FRAM but no Delco.:L:L:L

what do you mean? the filter never blew. i drove it home and drove it to work today with out a problem. just no fans....lol hope i dont' run into a traffic jam till i fix it. got the boat trailer on the truck and don't feel like disconnecting till i pick the boat up wed.

rrubel said:
Mic, I'd still get a hydrocarbons test on the coolant. It really sounds like the classic symptom of a head gasket leak. How's the oil look?
[RICHR]

Rich,

i think all is good. maybe one night this week i can stop over and change the oil and hook the fans up on the switch. this weekend was too busy being a holiday weekend.

Mad-Mic said:
what do you mean? the filter never blew. i drove it home and drove it to work today with out a problem. just no fans....lol hope i dont' run into a traffic jam till i fix it. got the boat trailer on the truck and don't feel like disconnecting till i pick the boat up wed.

Sorry, I was referring to Justin's post, the #2 post after your first post.

Yes ive had the oil north of 240 also. Actually 230 is ok. its not hard on the rings and flows well. Also I broke a belt 2 years ago and saw 280 on the water . I was afraid of the warped head deal too. But it wasnt sustained and i shut it down . No load on it . But all was well:D .When you start pumping money in to a motor you sure do watch the gauges alot.:L

Edmond said:
Wow, what kind of filter was your neighbor using? Was it a FRAM?;)

I am not sure but it was the threads on the little nipple, I guess that you screw the filter onto, sorry I don't know the correct name. The threads were a little off, and it started blowing filters.

You guys have all the luck!

Justin, I think it was a problem with the conversion to the new style. I guess there is two kinds of fitler systems, and his was older.

I think if you left your car on all the time, you'd notice the coolant temperature rises a lot after you shut it down. The coolant temp sensor is in the cylinder head. And there is no coolant flow taking heat away once you turn the car off. This is why you saw the temp rise. Obviously once the engine is stopped, it's not actually creating any more heat.

The oil temp sensor I believe is coupled with the pressure sensor. This temp is unlikely to rise after shutting the car down because oil is no longer circulating, and it is not in an area likely to absorb heat once there is no flow (unlike the coolant temp sensor).

Just two cents. :)

Aurora40 said:
I think if you left your car on all the time, you'd notice the coolant temperature rises a lot after you shut it down. The coolant temp sensor is in the cylinder head. And there is no coolant flow taking heat away once you turn the car off. This is why you saw the temp rise. Obviously once the engine is stopped, it's not actually creating any more heat.

The oil temp sensor I believe is coupled with the pressure sensor. This temp is unlikely to rise after shutting the car down because oil is no longer circulating, and it is not in an area likely to absorb heat once there is no flow (unlike the coolant temp sensor).

Just two cents. :)

Yeah that sounds right

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom