Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The '67 is at the painter's....

PTighe

Corvette
'67 Convertible and '03 Z06
I gave my '67 to the painter about 2 months ago; it should be finished about the first of April. I had to wait 6 months in line until the painter had time for it. I took these pics about 2 weeks ago, after it had 3 coats of PPG primer/surfacer shot and then block sanded with #180.

Now it will get 3 more coats of the same and blocked with #320. Two coats of primer and then 4 coats of PPG Deltron DAU single stage urethane, no clear coat....this guy does such a good job you don't need clear. PT :D

sideshot.1.jpg

67paint2.12.05vh1.jpg

67paint2.12.05.vh2.jpg

67paint2.12.05vh3.jpg

67paint2.12.05.vh4.jpg

67paint2.12.05.vh5.jpg

It's coming along, Patrick. Talk about a long journey!

-Mac

Patrick,

Thanks for posting the photos. As you know, Mac and I have been following your project for several years now. We know how much time, effort and detail you've put into it.

Keep us all updated as you near the final stages.

Bob

P.S. Have you heard from Chuckster lately? ;)

P.P.S. You should all know that Patrick did a body-off on a '57 some years back.

Patrick,

Front end looks good, nice install.

Keep us updated.

Tom M

What color is the car going to be? Most guys including myself don't like clear on non metalic colors. White, red, black,yellow and so on. Single stage paint looks super nice when sanded and buffed.

Mac and '67 are right...this project has been like a slow boat to China! :D When I moved to a new house in the middle of this restoration, I lost 2 years time due to the fact that I just didn't have any time to work on it. The body on restoration is finished, all I have to do is get the car back from the painter and then carefully reassemble the car and that's it.

Suppose it would have been a good idea to mention the paint color...duhhh. It's going to be what's on the trim tag...#984 Sunfire Yellow w/ black interior and top. The car is restored to NCRS standards, as far as I can tell, but shooting it with a clear coat will make it less desirable to any prospective buyers. I'm not selling, but as Vette said, yellow is a pretty forgiving color and this will buff out so shiny, you really don't need the clear coat. Besides, that PPG urethane paint is practically bullet proof anyway.

The new front clip is a Semersheim's press molded clip, so now the car has the appearance of a no hit car. I'll post some more pics when the car is painted.

Bob, I haven't talked to Chuck for a long time, although he still posts on the NCRS Discussion Board. PT :)

rollingrebuild.1.jpg

shemfrt.6.jpg

67drive7.03.jpg

She looks great, and it will be worth all the time spent when she comes back looking like a million bucks. You'll be grinning from ear to ear when you see her again Good luck. :)

PTighe, I would like to find out more from you about your front clip, what prompted you to go that route, how hard was removing the old front, etc. I have a 67 vert also, and am considering the same thing. I would like to learn from someone who has done it already. I tried to send you an email but system doesn't allow it for you.

Tim

The 67 is looking GREAT! That first drive is going to be a great feeling, and all the thumbs up that you will be getting makes all the hard work worthwhile.

Ray

Pat,

Aint it good to be able to see the light at the end of the tunnell finally?

Regards, John McGraw

bondtimbond said:
PTighe, I would like to find out more from you about your front clip, what prompted you to go that route, how hard was removing the old front, etc. I have a 67 vert also, and am considering the same thing. I would like to learn from someone who has done it already. I tried to send you an email but system doesn't allow it for you. Tim

Tim, my email is now up. Below is the original front clip that I removed. It was hit in the front and repaired from the center of the wheels forward with hand laid glass. They did a nice job, but I still didn't like it. I sold this old front end for $1000 to a guy who had a '66 which was wrecked in the front. To take the front end off, all I did was drill tiny holes about 1/8" apart wherever there was bonding adhesive and then used a very sharp, thin steel putty knife and hit it with a hammer and it fractures the hard adhesive. Slow job though, but that's what you have to do to get it off in one piece so you can reuse or sell it.

Yes John, there finally is light at the end of the tunnel! :D

ftend.1.jpg

67, do you still have the PhotoChop I did of PTighe's car? :D

-Mac

PTighe,

I still can't send you email, as it says you have opted not to receive email. Maybe you can send ME an email and I can reply to it?

I am interested in find out more about how you removed your old front end. I don't fully understand how drilling holes helped.

I have a front end that sounds ALLOT like your old one. Front was wrecked years ago and clipped center wheels forward and I have never been happy with the job. The idea of having a new and "perfect" front end that is correct really appeals to me. What did you think of the quality and fit of the new front? I too would consider selling my old front end since it is perfectly usable and looks good (from the outside anyway). Did your new front arrive in a crate that would have been reusable for the old front end if you had needed to ship it to a buyer?

Not my best PhotoChop but still amusing after all these years. :L

-Mac

PTighe, I am going thru the same process as you. Nice pictures.. I am doing my frame too and noticed the date you put on yours. How did you come up with the date? My car was built 6/21. I wondered what to date it?? Kurt

bondtimbond said:
PTighe, I am interested in find out more about how you removed your old front end. I don't fully understand how drilling holes helped.I have a front end that sounds ALLOT like your old one. Front was wrecked years ago and clipped center wheels forward and I have never been happy with the job. The idea of having a new and "perfect" front end that is correct really appeals to me. What did you think of the quality and fit of the new front? I too would consider selling my old front end since it is perfectly usable and looks good (from the outside anyway). Did your new front arrive in a crate that would have been reusable for the old front end if you had needed to ship it to a buyer?

Tim, wherever the front clip attaches to the body there is a 1/8" to 1/4" bead of hardened adhesive, which holds the two fiberglass surfaces together. To get the front end off in one piece, you must break the bond without tearing up the fiberglass, so you can remove it. The purpose of the closely drilled holes is to allow you to take a sharp 1" wide putty knife, place the edge up against the holes and lightly hit it with a hammer. Then the bond between the two surfaces easily fractures and separates the two pieces. Keep going all the way around until you can take the front end off.

The quality and fit of the new front end is good, but mine still needed a lot of work before it was ready to paint. I had to pay a $50 crate charge and it arrived by tractor trailer for another $200. I don't think the crate can be reused. The guy that bought my old front end drove 300 miles up here and drove it back home. The crate picture is below. PT

shemfrt._.jpg

kobi67 said:
PTighe, I am going thru the same process as you. Nice pictures.. I am doing my frame too and noticed the date you put on yours. How did you come up with the date? My car was built 6/21. I wondered what to date it?? Kurt

Kurt, that picture above is old, since then I have found out from some very knowledgeable people that the date did not appear on '67 frames's. 66's and before, yes. See the '66 frames at the factory on September 20, 1965 below. I have since taken the date off of the frame, as it is not correct. PT

66stlouisframeassy.1.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom