Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The 81 finally wins a round

J

jdads2

After redoing the interior, removing the engine and front suspension and most of the rear suspension without incident the car managed to get some revenge on me today.

Let me say this, I'm not a pansy. I've taken more stitches in my hands alone(ussually after I finish whatever project I'm working on) to knit a sweater. I've cut my hand wide open with a clam knife...yes, those ARE dull. If lost a chunk of my thumb to a table saw. I've even been dumb enough to drill into my own nail in order to relieve the pressure buildup from squashing a finger. I have never felt this much pain over a stupid BOO-BOO in my life!

The rear caliper just won't come out easily so I tried some penetrating oil on the bolts and got out the breaker bar. That was good enough for one but the other had other ideas. The bar slipped off and I slammed my pinky(yes that little tiny finger). I ripped off a nice chunk of skin and cracked my nail in 3 places which I can know donate blood.

After exclaiming "That's gonna leave a mark!" I walked into the house telling the vette "OK, you win for today!"

...it may have won this round but I'll win the fight!

typing with one less finger,
Dave

:L

I have you ever thought of taking up a new hobby? Perhaps beanie baby collection?:D

Dave,

These 81's are a tough breed!!! Worse than taming a wild Horse, sometimes ;)

Don't feel bad, I have a friend that has been a Corvette Mechanic for over 20 years, and sometime the steed even bites him ;) Last I talked to him, he still has all his fingers!!

I think now days you call for a "TimeOut" and have a talk with it ;)

Bud

jdads2 said:
... and I slammed my pinky(yes that little tiny finger). I ripped off a nice chunk of skin and cracked my nail in 3 places ...
The only worse situation I can imagine is if it happened while 35 degrees outside or lower...ouchhhhh...

Hang in there, jdads, way to keep at it. The break-free fluid should help, and since the rear suspension is out of the way, try "shocking" the brake caliper bolts with a solid drift "A la Bubba" with a good 2 or 4 lbs mallet. Wamm! Wamm! Good Luck!

I have you ever thought of taking up a new hobby? Perhaps beanie baby collection?:D
Have you ever tried to shoehorn a small block into a beanie baby?;)

I had a nice little talk with the 81 yesterday and let it know that if it didn't release the calipers I'd just burn them off and get a set of stainless sleeved calipers fron VB and P...I swear I heard the bolts start to tighten.

RE: Ala Bubba

Gotta tell ya, without bubba's, there are alot of bolts that would still be on. Sometimes, while waiting for the "Breakfree" to take hold, you grab a six pack, a chair, some good tunes, and you have a chat with your bolt. After all, you're in this together know what I mean.

Not bad, I cut my finger putting carpet in mine, 7 stitches. Of course any time you are trying to persuade 23 year old parts to come loose its going to cost some skin.

mine knocked me down and the ref gave me a standing 8 count

I've decided that with all future attempts to repair the vette I'm going to either slam my hand in the door or hood before starting...kind of a sacrifice to the restoration gods.

Try oil of wintergreen for rusty bolts works better than any penetrating oil you can buy, it's an old ship yard trick. You have to get it at the drug store.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom