Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The Book: All Corvettes Are Red

TopDownCruzin03

Corvette
2003 6sp conv.
Just finished the book by James Schefter, All Corvettes Are Red. Interesting reading.

The most poignant to me was the question from Dave Hill, "Anybody here for seceding from Midsize Car division and starting our own Corvette company?"

I'll hand it to Dave Hill. Without his perseverance the C5 program would still be a dream.

Thanks Dave, My C5 is certainly a blast to drive.:lou

Interestingly enough, I was parked in a rest stop going to Carlisle, PA 2 years ago when an elderly gentleman approached me from an adjacent parking spot. He had a copy of "All Corvette Are Red" in his hand, asked me if I had read it, and when I said "no" handed it to me and told me he had finished it and I could have it. I thanked him very much and got in the Vette and left. Still haven't read it.

Excellent book- worth reading. It is largely about corporate politics and how dedicated people created the C5 in spite of GM. I ended up disliking Chuck Jordan , the "Chrome Cobra". It is a must-read for any C5 owner.

Good book! I have two copies, one I read and the other a leather-bound edition that is among my Corvette collectibles.

BTW, I moved this thread out of The Edge to the C5 General Discussion forum.

Thanks Eric.

I found a couple of other things interesting as well. The cold and hot weather testing that was done. Engineers sat in either cold or hot soaked cars and timed how long it took the environmental systems to get the passenger comfortable. Wow, now that's taking one for the team.

The other thing I found intriguing was the topic of Daytime Running Lights. DRL's. The book says "Daytime running lights reduce battery life and cut a car's mileage by upward of a quarter mile per gallon." This G.M. engineer came up with a formula which shows a decrease in mileage. That is awesome. I wish the book shared the formula.

Fascinating.

Overall a very good, interesting book. Really gives insight to why U.S. car companies have a hard time competing in view of the corporate politics etc.

BTW, the "Chrome Cobra", based on comments I've heard from GM designers and modelers, plus my recollection of him while a student at Art Center College of Design, was indeed one of arrogance. A talented man, but not in people skills for those working for him apparently.

The more pics I see of early design sketches and clay models the more I admire the final C5 design that John Cafaro and his people got into production. The C5 may be slightly "heavy" in the rear quarters from some views but the larger diameter rear wheels do help disguise that. Overall the car's surfacing is very elegant and flowing, well until it "stops" at the rear for aero reasons. Of course the dynamics of the car are certainly superior to the C4 (like my 2 beloved C4s....) and that combined with the looks certainly makes for a very appealing high performance sports car. DFO :)

A book worth the read!

Absolutely. After reading it you wonder how GM got anything good out the doors in the mid nineties. Here's my review on Amazon.com from 2001:

"I don't know exactly what I expected when I purchased this book, probably a fluff piece with lots of GM furnished pap and glamour shots of the car and people. I guess that was OK with me.

What I got was a far different story, a scary walk down the halls of a giant corporation that I only thought was some kind of standard to measure the overall management prowess of other firms. The author does a magnificent job of detailing the warts of GM without seeming ungrateful for the opportunity to do so.

The new Corvette was five years late and probably wouldn't have happened for another three years were it not for a very small number of dedicated individuals who had to work like Green Berets in enemy territory to get out a new car in their own corporation.

Don't expect fluff or coffee table graphics. This book is a masterful chronicle of the making of a new car in an environment of overpowering resistance to the concept of movement. It is a real eye opener to everyone who believes that large firms know what they are doing - or even that they recognize the differnce between moving or not moving.

This book could very well be a case study text in the Organizational Behavior/Development classes I took in grad school.

A must read for car nuts or students of the American business scene, but not for the Vette nut that wants a promo piece on the new wheels."

If you own a C5--this book should be "required reading"!

As mentioned the book details all the Corporate Politics that had to be confronted before successfully introducing the C5! On an even broader scale, the politics/people management involved are reflective of those encountered in many or most businesses.

No one person can be given credit for the C5--it demonstrated a true Team Effort, a true passion for the Corvette!

Another mandatory reading

"All Corvettes are Red" is a great book and "Corvette C5" by Patrick Paternie is a perfect follow up. There are two Corvette C5 book titles on the markert. The one by Paternie is by far the best. I found one at Amazon.Com in "new" condition for $5.00.

Just finished the book by James Schefter, All Corvettes Are Red. Interesting reading.

The most poignant to me was the question from Dave Hill, "Anybody here for seceding from Midsize Car division and starting our own Corvette company?"

I'll hand it to Dave Hill. Without his perseverance the C5 program would still be a dream.

Thanks Dave, My C5 is certainly a blast to drive.:lou

Am currently reading All Corvettes Are Red. Love the book and recommend it to all forum members. As you can see by signature, I have two RED corvettes! My wife likes yellow, so I bought her a 1/18 die cast Z06 in yellow. Cheaper than a new one.

My wife likes yellow, so I bought her a 1/18 die cast Z06 in yellow. Cheaper than a new one.

I got a chuckle out of that. :) My wife likes black. We have an '89 black IROC-Z convertible that she loves. I told her I would buy her any year or model black Corvette to replace it. But noooo. Hey, she's happy and I'm happy. Works for me.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom