Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The Bose Is Back

jjones

Corvette
1992 black coupe, six speed
I finally took your advice and yanked the system including the tuner and shipped it off to Doctor Don's in Texas. He did a complete restore on the stereo and threw in an updated tuner at no extra charge (usually runs $175). The restoration ran $250.

Gave me a lifetime guarantee after I questioned repair vs replacement. Don has a very impressive set of electronic credentials - all you have to do is just ask him! And being burnt before in my life (a few hundred times), I just had to ask.

So I am happlily rolling with the juke box blasting - thanks again for this great recommendation. :Roll

jj

I love it when something works

Espically TUNES!

Great news.

Did you r&r it yourself?

Vig!

R & R??

If that's Remove & Re-install, absolutely........not. But I watched. It cost $150 to watch. Looked real annoying, anyway.
:eyerole

jj

R and R

It isn't that bad of a job, if you have the patience for it, but if you don't then it was a buck and a half well spent. One litttttlllllleee bit of observation. In my shop, if we charge $100 for a particular job, we charge $150 if somebody watches. We charge $200 if they want to help and $250 if they have tried to fix it themselves...and want to help.:D

I'm glad you have tunes again, JJ.
--Drew:w

OOPS - A FAMILIAR THEME WITH ME

Thanks Drew and Mike - but I see where there was a charge for the tuner. Like around $90 but obviously less than the usual $175. Don had failed to send the mounting hardware for the tuner and that is when we became aware it was not the original tuner I had mailed to him. The manner in which he provided his explanation led me to believe there was no charge but in reviewing his standard pricing I found there was. Does this make any sense at all?

I didn't ask for the replacement but I'm not disappointed because with my luck - that would have gone next.

And, just when I was thinking the repairs were over - I closed the hatch and a foot of weatherstripping jumped out at me. So I kicked the tire and split my toenail. :eek

jj

A little silicone will fix that.

-Mike

(you pick which one :p )

Ha Ha

Very funny, Topless. :)

But it split apart at the corner and I believe that is the kiss of death - for the weatherstrip, not the nail!

jj

Don't **** on the car or you'll get a spark from the plugs.

BTW Drewster, you did not mension how much for stupid questions or is that free if you pay to help.

tom_85_vet said:
Don't **** on the car or you'll get a spark from the plugs.

BTW Drewster, you did not mension how much for stupid questions or is that free if you pay to help.

:L :L :L

Bose

I removed mine last Saturday afternoon. The most difficult part of the process is removing the console/dash parts, but not nearly as hard as I had envisioned it to be. The radio is only secured by 4 screws and two wiring harnesses. Slipped right out after dash removal. Took me about an hour from the time I started to the time I put it back together. Didn't want to leave the interior in pieces as I wanted to drive the Vette. Now I have to pack it up and send it to Dr. Don for repair.

Question: Do I send the check or money order in the box with the Bose or send it separately in the mail?

Thanks

Dave

Dave - if he already quoted you a price then it doesn't matter if you tuck it in with the unit or not. Butttt - pulling the tuner from a '92 is a different animal - that was the real PITA. If your tuner is in the not-so-secret hidden compartment then it is well worth the trip to Don's for an updated one and much easier to get to than mine was. Way more connections than the stereo unit. I mean - send it if Don tells you to as you have a '94 (I keep forgetting). And if you do send it you might remind him you will need the 3 alignment pins back. (Ugh).

I shipped priority - $22 bucks from my area. He shipped ground - $12. That was $10 more dollars I could'a put towards the weatherstripping!

Happy tunes to you...
:Roll

jj

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom