Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The Definitive C4 Buyer’s Guide

Corvette
2012 💯 4LT GS Roadster
vemp-1211-lifestyles-the-definitive-c4-buyers-guide-21.jpg

There comes a point when an older car transcends looking dated and starts looking more classically attractive. Not necessarily vintage, mind you, but appreciated for its original design elements and performance. The C4 Corvette is entering that phase in its history. It was ubiquitous in the '80s and '90s, but it was soon overshadowed by the C5, which represented tremendous leaps in performance, ergonomics, and build quality. The C6 simply amplified those traits, leaving the C4 as the proverbial red-headed stepchild of the Corvette family.

www.vetteweb.com

I think the C4 is soon going to be a "classic" the lines of my 93 are timeless still looks fresh at least in my eyes. The C4 represents the first "modern" Corvette. They will look good years from now. Clean, understated, purposeful, a proverbial missile that looks fast sitting still. For me personally, I love the C4 it has a nice combination of new school/old school feel to it. Not too refined but not too raw. Perfect. Each generation has its +/-'s. The C5's are starting to age however the performance is still respectable especially in Z06 form. The C6 is starting to age, but still fast. Bring on the C7, here is to another 60 years of Corvette.

I've had 2 C4's and remember them being hailed by the motoring press as great leaps in technology and esthetics over past Corvettes. I had the privilege to drive the Motor Trend Car of the year test vehicle in the fall of 1983 and that sold me on how good it was. Though I have not driven a C5-C6 yet, I do not understand the disdain for the C4 model by many on this and other message boards. Yes, by today's standards HP is low, but handling and style are still great.

Attachments

• 1989 Vette 2.jpg
    1989 Vette 2.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 93
There comes a point when an older car transcends looking dated and starts looking more classically attractive. Not necessarily vintage, mind you, but appreciated for its original design elements and performance. The C4 Corvette is entering that phase in its history. It was ubiquitous in the '80s and '90s, but it was soon overshadowed by the C5, which represented tremendous leaps in performance, ergonomics, and build quality. The C6 simply amplified those traits, leaving the C4 as the proverbial red-headed stepchild of the Corvette family.

www.vetteweb.com

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY disagree (and we're not alone, apparently ... http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/124938-would-you-choose.html ).

C4 has the general body design of later model C5, C6.
Whereas it's a struggle to make the newer one stand out (you have to drop hammer, or aftermarket wheels, etc.), a finely tuned C4 NEEDS NO HELP.
How do you take any 'pride' in a newer one? (nope). But here again, the C4 with a fine tune, needs no help.
I wouldn't say by any stretch, that a deliberately lower-powered model overshadows the earlier DUO of [relative] equal- and higher- powered models (and let us not digress unto a discussion of individual options / packages).

Fine wine? Or new wine? Hmmm ... kind of a dumb question, IMO

Glad to dis-appoint you Sir... ;)

[h=2]
clear.gif
My 1st Vette was a C4, they're great/great sports cars.[/h]

Oops!

Fixed it for ya'! (no charge)

Little redundant tho', dontcha' think?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom