Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The last 67 on speed channel

I watched the program and did they ever show or say what they did to fix the block where that piece broke off? I thought that they said they were going to weld it, but I never got to finish watching the whole thing. Think you guys could fill me in? Thanks.

The broken block is still at the Nabers' shop in Houston; as I noted above, the car has a restoration motor (as do a high percentage of Corvettes restored to that level).

:beer

So John...did they have the replacement block restamped to "remain numbers matching"??

Some of us just drive our history, Tom. ;)

And some of us just let it sit in the garage for 35 years. :eyerole But It's getting closer to it's turn almost daily.

...as long as the selling price continues to put upwards pressure on the overall price of the C2's, i don't care what the selling price turns out to be...

....just like collecting stamps, ony more so

...maybe kevin federline will pony up the bucks now that she kicked him off the ranch

some fool with too much to drink and too much money will bid her up. i buy mine to drive and in my younger days race. when i take my dirt nap i want to go with a smile on my face saying i did with corvettes what you are suppost to do "drive the s--t of them." not put them in storage till the value goes up. JMHO

I agree with driving the s--t out of the cars (I certainly do) but that's because I couldn't afford the cosmetic restoration of my car to a high standard and still be able to drive it which is the only reason I purchased it. Mechanical restoration is so much cheaper (just an old chevy). The cosmetic degradation process that driving exacts on the cars costs too much to repair to the high level that top restorations achieve (much > $100K). I think Jay Leno (bizillionaire) said he restores his cars to almost 100 points and then drives them down to 80 points then restores them again. I wish I could do that. I do appreciate the beauty and correctness of totally restored cars for us to look at and others that come after us to be able to see and appreciate the cars as they were originally. As to the price this car reaches at BJ, I would think between 1 and 2 million $$ but that is really a pure guess based upon the world collector car situation (read that as baby boomers want what they want and are able and willing to pay $$ to get it). The 67 BB is thought by more than a few people to be the pinnacle of corvette perfection and to some it has become an art form. What is the last Picasso, Ferrari GTO or Stradivarius worth, more then the first or fifth, I don't know? Barrett-Jackson is a big $$ show, I love to watch (I liked Allen DeCadenet, what happened to him?) and hopefully I will go in person in the near future. Only time will tell whether any purchase at whatever price turns out to be brilliant or a poor investment. Also, before anyone condemns a purchase as a waste of $ please read my thread about all the cars we owned but sold or should have bought but didn't for whatever reason (usually lack of money). The show, "The Last 67 Sting Ray" was entertaining and better then the endless and pervasive NASCAR fare that inundates speed vision. One last thought, depending on the price of a full Nabors restoration when I am ready to die (many years from now I hope), I would like to believe that I could see my car in the same condition as the last sting ray but I don't think that will happen. Oh well, enough said.

Best regards,
Gerry

So John...did they have the replacement block restamped to "remain numbers matching"??

Sure - very common practice on Corvettes restored to that level; if it appears to be typical of factory production, it flies.

Sure - very common practice on Corvettes restored to that level; if it appears to be typical of factory production, it flies.

John, I was reading the triple carb post and saw the pic of the 572 in the yellow vette. What did they do to fit the engine in there as its a tall deck block? Thanks.

Best regards,
Gerry

I was surprised they didn't credit any of the many sponsors who donated parts and services to the restoration, or say anything about the Chip Miller Foundation, which will benefit from part of the B-J proceeds in January.

It may be that they did not 'donate' the items. Early in the game PT asked venders to contribute services but then they tried to pull a fast one. On the dash cluster they sent several units out to be referbished and represented to each different vender the unit was out of the car, well these guys talk to each other and when they realized what was going on they sent them back undone. Not sure if they tried it with other items but sure soured me on just what was going on.

Also heard from sources that 40% it the BJ sales were to the owners who were 'buying' their car back. If that car goes over 150k watch who is biding.

Tyler

John, I was reading the triple carb post and saw the pic of the 572 in the yellow vette. What did they do to fit the engine in there as its a tall deck block? Thanks.

Best regards,
Gerry

I saw that car at Carlisle. The owner, looked like a REALLY decent guy, said he did nothing but shave the height of the air cleaner to get it to fit under the hood. I assume he used a low-rise manifold.

I saw that car at Carlisle. The owner, looked like a REALLY decent guy, said he did nothing but shave the height of the air cleaner to get it to fit under the hood. I assume he used a low-rise manifold.

Wow, thanks for the info. He must have used a low riser because I have no room under mine.

Best regards,
Gerry

I also watched the program. Thought it was interesting that the last 67 built was a loaded, big block coupe.

Too much filler and fluff to fill up three hours. I would have enjoyed a program about the restoration of the car rather than a diverse and disjointed history lesson on the Corvette. Almost went comatose during some of the program due to Pro Team advertising and commercial breaks.

Looking forward to a DVD release without commercials.

Rich

I agree. Thought we were going to see the restoration in detail rather than snipets and a complete history of the Corvette. Very disappointing in that regard.

Thanks Gang for answering my questions i was left with after watching.. I agree with some of you's, i was hoping for more restauration detail, but i guess they didnt want to show all their work.

Only 3 things i will stay up for later then my usual bedtime... :gap :L

:w
-Stefan

Jerry Clark is an amazing guy - I know him VERY well. It's a stock GM 3x2 intake with Moroso spacer plates to accommodate the tall-deck head spacing, with the edges of the plates machined to match the edge of the intake exactly - you wouldn't notice them unless you knew they were there. :)

MVC-579X640.jpg

Jerry Clark is an amazing guy...
Yup... I haven't met Jerry (or JohnZ for that matter) but amazing is the right word.

-Mac

The before car looks pretty nice. Was this an original Sunfire Yellow car?

Tom

And, here's the result...........
KING_RAY.jpg

The Carlisle Project “King Ray” Corvette for the 2006 Corvettes At Carlisle event, is a 572 cubic inch powered 1967 Corvette with a Tremec TKO transmission.

Nice work, Jerry. :w

I love the results (gorgeous:upthumbs ) but how does it breathe through those small exhausts:confused ?

Best regards,
Gerry

That's the guy I met at Carlisle. What a great guy, just sat there and answered all of our questions.

The entire car is simply perfect. Craftsmanship at it's best. I THINK he has 4" Sweet Thunders on it if I remember correctly. He says at idle, you wouldn't think it's anything but a big block.

A bit of a commercial for Sweet Thunders. If you ain't got them, you ain't got pipes. Perfect sound and harmonics for me. Of course, another JohnZ recommendation. Which I almost always follow.

Which leaves me to say that there's only one recommendation of John's that I didn't take. I heard him but chose my own path. If the car survives the episode, I'll post the results. If it doesn't, no one else will be the wiser ;squint:

That's the guy I met at Carlisle. What a great guy, just sat there and answered all of our questions.

The entire car is simply perfect. Craftsmanship at it's best. I THINK he has 4" Sweet Thunders on it if I remember correctly. He says at idle, you wouldn't think it's anything but a big block.

A bit of a commercial for Sweet Thunders. If you ain't got them, you ain't got pipes. Perfect sound and harmonics for me. Of course, another JohnZ recommendation. Which I almost always follow.

Which leaves me to say that there's only one recommendation of John's that I didn't take. I heard him but chose my own path. If the car survives the episode, I'll post the results. If it doesn't, no one else will be the wiser ;squint:

The car looks stunning but I don't think those are anything other than aftermarket (Allen's) BB sidepipes, the exhaust ports don't look big enough. These are 4 inch exhaust ports.

Best regards,
Gerry

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom