Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The MiniRam & Ram Clutch conversion begins!

looks real good want to get the wife a 92 and do a similar project hope to find a hi mile turd got one on the line the guy is buying a z06 i get first dibs on the92 179,000 wha tthe heck

Ken said:
Looking a little closer at the second image, you mentioned before when I asked about valve covers that I should be aware of clearance problems near the wiper motor. From what I can see of yours, there appears to be lots of room for the tall GM Performance covers. Do ya think so?

_ken :w

You know Ken, I was looking at that last night too. These are just cheap Summit racing generic covers I bought back in 98 to get the engine sealed up in the V8 Fiero. I had to use the rubber gaskets because with cork the were rubbing the roller rockers.

Now, when I put the 383 in my 85 vette I did the tall covers. I swear to you they hit the wiper motor and or at least I was not able to install them without taking a hammer to the back corner and doing some custom work. But, now that I am looking at this 90, it looks like there is another 2" to play with.

You will just have to see for yourself when the time comes. I am going to stick with this for now. She ain't no show car, and I already know I have just enough room to let the rollers rock in there.

I knew this project was going too smooth. I was ready last night to bump it over and hear it roar for a second when I powered it up and got fuel spraying all over the intake. So, I called it a night. I am getting ready now to go inspect the problem. I have to pull the distributor back out, then possibly the whole fuel rail assembly.

Hey Chris.....

One Word....... Awesome Dude !!!! Thank you for taking the time for the pic's, I hope you were able to lite it off today !

:w
Steve.

Got the fuel leaks under control, made it to the muffler shop with the open headers without getting the police called on me.

Got back home and set the timing on 38 total advance. My dad has my fuel pressure gauge, so I have no idea what that is and the fuel rail came with a really nice adjustable unit.

HERE is my current problem. The temp gauge on the dash is showing 260 degrees in no time. It ran pretty cool getting to the muffler shop, but kept creeping up on the way back. I let it sit and idle while the gauge pegged. The oil temp is cool, and I am able to touch the heater and upper radiator hoses (they are hot but not too hot). Plus, when I open the radiator cap there is no excessive steam or pressure.

So, either I got some air trapped in the block that won't purge, or the gauge when crazy over the last two weeks.

I put all that on hold and have jumped in to ripping out the dash and installing a different stereo. I am putting in a sony am/fm cass in the dash that controls a 10 disc changer plus a 200 watt amp and single 10 in a box. All this stuff came out of my GEO and sounded pretty sweet. I will have to pop for some new suround speakers and some wire. I have taken the stock Gold Bose head unit apart and am trying to squeeze the sony into that housing so it will bolt right back in the dash. Wish me luck!

Chris

69MyWay said:
I put all that on hold and have jumped in to ripping out the dash and installing a different stereo. I am putting in a sony am/fm cass in the dash that controls a 10 disc changer plus a 200 watt amp and single 10 in a box. All this stuff came out of my GEO and sounded pretty sweet. I will have to pop for some new suround speakers and some wire. I have taken the stock Gold Bose head unit apart and am trying to squeeze the sony into that housing so it will bolt right back in the dash. Wish me luck!

:LROTFLMAO:L "The Human Dynamo" :LROTFLMAO:L

Here are some pics.

The first is of the nearly complete and running engine. Hey Ken, I hope your engine shop does not have a problem doing custom fabrication. There are several small details that TPiS does not mention in the destructions. For example, exactly how to mount the MAP sensor, where/how to route the vacuum lines, custom adjustments to the cruise control cable, etc. etc.

If you have seen the TPiS site, they give a very specific warning in RED letters regarding the RAM clutch conversion that it will result in trans noise. Well, they sure were not kidding about that. Until you push the clutch in, it sounds like a bucket of marbles. In sixth gear coming back from the muffler shop I thought all the bolts had suddenly backed out of the trans. Now, at that time my timing was a mile off, so it was running very rough.

I have been driving it very easy to avoid attracting too much attention from Johnny Law, and to give the clutch plenty of room to break in.

Yep, I just can't sit still. In the midst of the 69 Vette being a shell of a car, big block parts all over the place, and now the 90 in pieces (although less of them strown out on the floor), I have indeed started ripping the dash out.

I sacracficed the bose housing and was able to make a genius mount using a mod kit for a GEO metro.

Here is an initial pic. Have to get some wires and speakers next, and put the interior back. I hope to be driving it to work on Monday. That is as soon as I can confirm that it is not overheating for real.

69MyWay said:
Hey Ken, I hope your engine shop does not have a problem doing custom fabrication. There are several small details that TPiS does not mention in the destructions.

:L Ain't that usually the case?

Dig this now; when I left Will's shop the other day, after he was done showing me the new Edelbrock heads, he told me to check the MiniRam to be sure it was going to bolt up to the E-Tec heads, which are based on the Vortec design.

When I spoke with Jim at TPIS, after he and Will had discussed which heads to use with the Miniram in order to strike the best balance between bottom end torque and top end rpm, I was left with the impression that the MiniRam III would be a perfect match for the E-Tec heads. Wrong!

After calling Jim back and bringing this to his attention, he said that he was thinking all along of the GM "Fast Burn" head, and that the Fast Burn head accomodates both bolt patterns; he wasn't thinking about the Edelbrock heads.

So now it's either, as Jim suggested, machine the heads to accomodate the bolt pattern for the MiniRam, look for another set of heads to use, or look for another intake to use. Any way you look at it though, whether it's the cost of more machine work, or the re-stocking fee it'll cost me if I return the Edelbrock heads, it just plain gonna cost me. :eyerole

I'm not concerned; this shouldn't delay the project any, it's just irritating when you encounter things like this, eh? :r

Your '90 is looking good :upthumbs, though you really should be concetrating on that '69 - the season is almost upon us. ;)

_ken :w

Congratulations Chris !!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Chris, Job well done my friend, but one thing, you didn't give us any impression on whether you thought all your hard work was for naught, or your car is as strong as a forty mule team ? Just wondering......

Steve.

Re: Congratulations Chris !!!!!!!!!!!!

P-ColaVette said:
Hey Chris, Job well done my friend, but one thing, you didn't give us any impression on whether you thought all your hard work was for naught, or your car is as strong as a forty mule team ? Just wondering......

Steve.

The car feels very strong. First, when you walk around behind the car at idle the pressure coming out of the flow masters is significantly higher than the stock engine. Even when I was running with the base timing about 4 degrees retarded (I set it by ear and hand in a big hurry with open headers and got it out of my garage fast to keep the neighbors from freaking) it had plenty of torque and power to cruise in sixth at 45 mph. After I got home I had found another fuel leak and had to get a new set of injector Orings. So, after I changed those and set the max timing curve I did not take it back out. It was getting dark and I decided to wash up and tinker with the stereo for a bit.

After I get the stereo/interior back in I need to get some major muscle help to put the hood back on. Then I will give you more details on how well it runs. It makes me nervous running down the road with the front tires open and uncovered like that. I feel luck I did not get a rock in the windshield as is.

Wow Ken, what a bummer. However, that is really par for the course when you are doing custom mods like this. I thought the Etech heads and Vortec fast burn heads had the same bolt pattern and that is why they made the Miniram III. The cool thing about the miniram II is it fits both post and pre 87 heads as the two center bolts holes are slotted.

Re: Re: Congratulations Chris !!!!!!!!!!!!

69MyWay said:
I thought the Etech heads and Vortec fast burn heads had the same bolt pattern and that is why they made the Miniram III.

Yep, you had the same impression I did. :eyerole

Need some muscle.....

Hey Chris,
If I was able, I would be there in a flash to lend a hand with your hood ! Man, if I had half the energy you had, I could actually get my perpetual motion machine started !!!! LMAO....

Steve.

No more Dual Mass Flywheel. YES
I love the quick revs that you get from a light flywheel,
Are you putting in a steel wheel, or aluminim??

Please forgive me, I did a bad thing!

Okay, not too bad. I happened to suck the headlights out of 94 Corvette tonight. More on that later.

Busted butt all day to get the stereo system in. Went with POLK brand 4" front speakers and 6.5" rear speakers custom fit into the stock Bose box. Mounted the 10 disc changer and MTX amp in the right rear cubby. Ran the monster power cable up over the firewall, into the passenger compartment and to the rear. Mounted the sub box direct to the floor in the rear compartment.

The stereo sounds very strong, and plenty of low bass power. You guys would be very proud of Nikki. She put half of the interior back in for me while I was finishing up some other minor details.

Now, I have only really put about 15 miles on it including the open header running. We took it out to hit the ATM and a little taco bell tonight. I am having some driveability issues with the idle (or lack of idle). At this time I still need to set the throttle body air speed blades and recalibrate the tps as well as set the fuel pressure. TPis said the miniram likes plenty of advanced timing. It does not want to idle well at a max of 38 degrees. With a max of 42-45 the acceleration is strong and the idle better. I just ran out of time tonight to do much more. It is still running kind of warm, but I did not see the gauge freak out on my little trip, so let's keep our fingers crossed.

Had some friends come over and help slamm the hood back on.

racecar, The flywheel is steel and is a stock replacement for a 1988 with a 4+3 trans. Aluminum would be nice, but not needed for my application. Yes, there is six speed trans noise at idle and in high gear at low RPM.

Okay, back to the 1994 slaughter. While pulling out of the ATM parking lot a fellow had the top out of his 94 and was pulling out in front of me. As we came out and turned to the right I took the outside lane and opened it up. He jumped down on it hard and I heard him bark second as I was flying past him. He did not have a prayer. That 52mm throttle body, and miniram were flowing and my back tires were going.

Anyway, Nikki said it was a sin to whoop tushie on a fellow vetter. The worst part is he had his woman riding with him. I am sure he said something in the parking lot to her like "look honey, there is one of those slow tuned port corvettes. I will try not to make him look bad with my superior LT1".

Am I forgiven?:confused

Glad you are in Florida

Heck, I got nervous just reading how you ruined that guys night. If I take the vette' out on any road trips I'm heading north.

Not nice but understandable

While it isn't nice to "whoop tushie" on a fellow vetter I surely understand it since you put all that work into the vette. It would be a shame to not show it off a little. Too bad it wasn't a 'stang or camaro/firechicken. You think one of those would fit into my crossfire? :cool hehe
--Drew:w

Top down weather in January??
That sounds great.
It snowed 2" in Oregon today.
How much does the stock flywheel weigh? What is the weight of your aftermarket wheel?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom