Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: The ongoing remote fob issue!

Bobsvette

Corvette
2019 Torch Red Grand Sport
OK, I'll make this short.Read all the postings on retraining the two fob's for my 99. Did everything by the book but I get no further than fob #2 recognized ,of course I did #1 first but when I hold lock-unlock I get no response from the horn and both fob's are dead in the water p.s. new batteries also Last year both worked great but slowly starting getting a mind of their own , work no work, Any Idea's also on a couple other car's i have I have remote starters and don't even use the factory fob's anymore .Can a remote starter ( I'm talking about a good one) be put on a vette by someone that can tie it in before the ignition with the resistor? ;shrug

HI there,
It sounds like the receiver is getting a mind of its own.
Remote starters are never a good idea with Corvette and the BCM power mode system it uses.
Just remember, you can fit 2000 transmitters without the Passive system with no problems.
But a quick question, have you been having any problems with the tire pressure monitoring system????
Allthebest, c4c5

Hi paul, I'm glad you chimed in for me. I should have mentioned in my post that the tire pressure monitoring system seems to be working fine,except for one time last summer when my wife was on her way home from work a message came up that said (service tire monitoring system) she pushed the reset button and the DIC went back to the tire's readout but no tire pressure was being displayed,front or rear. When she shut the car off in the driveway she waited thirty second's or so and restarted the car and the DIC was showing the pressure's for all four tire's just fine. Haven't had any display problems after that. Both my fobs contact's are clean I made sure that I did not touch any of the circuitry inside. The only thing that I did after cleaning them was to add a little dialectic grease to the contacts,It looked like there was some already when I first took them apart.Also you mentioned being able to use a 2000 fob, is that correct? and if so is there an advantage to doing that? Paul hope to hear from you soon, It's not a major issue but It's gotten under my skin and it's irritating the hell out of me :W Thank's Bob Y.

Hi there,
Honestly, it sounds like your receiver is creating issues. Check for any codes in RFA just to be sure but, we can say confidently that all 4 sensors would not stop transmitting at the same time.
So, at this point, it would be suggested to install the remote control door lock receiver and program the tire sensors and the transmitters.
That is obviously after checking to make sure you have the correct power source and grounds.
Allthebest, c4c5

Paul, thank's for your help, at the risk of sounding dumb what does RFA mean also replacement of the remote receiver is that going to be a dealership issue? Also I was curious if dialectic pick-up grease should be used on the contacts in the fobs? One last question, you mentioned being able to use a 2000 fob,(cheaper to buy?) we don't use passive on the 99. I wish the dealership where you work was closer to me The only one near me is scranton motors. I was there once to have oil changes done and felt like I was at a jiffy lube. Thank's Bob Y.

Hi there,
when you extract codes from your DIC, RFA is the last module displayed and it will show you codes.
Now, U1016, 1064 and 1096 are classified as normal as long as they are H for HISTORY.
You are looking for anyother codes that may bethere.
Allthebest, c4c5

C4C5, could you elaborate on using the 2000 fab on a 99. What is required? The cost is very significant. Thanks, Zig.

HI there,
Nothing is required other then the fobs you would like to program.
They will learn directly to the RFA module and are more reliable then the 97-99 key fob.
Allthebest, c4c5

Paul, thank's for the help. I'll try to get this problem straightened out.:confused

Paul, thank's for the help. I'll try to get this problem straightened out.:confused
I got this programming thing taken care of, when I was trying to set the remotes up I realized that I alway's tried to do it with both remotes in the same area! I set #1 up first then put it away from the car before doing the second, both work fine now. also one of the remote's for my 96 was close by at first when I was trying to program the two for the 99,that one is alway's set to passive and probably had something to do with my problem. Keeping my fingers crossed!!:upthumbs

The best way to resolve the fob issue it to buy a C3.

:chuckle

Just kidding. Actually, the same fob issue drove me nuts on my C5. Pretty much, if the fob was dropped twice- it didn't work after the third drop.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom