Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The other paint thread

Corvette
1968 silver coupe ,1954 packard
Well I didnt want to steal any thunder last week from 67s paint thread but thought you guys would like to see the 63 vert that I just finished the painting process on.Now on to the reassembly.Heres a pic the day before I sprayed.
6292Im000533.JPG

And, I'll bet you're done reassembly way before me
True but Im not doing frame off and the owner is going to worry about the interior later.I still have to install engine/trans assembly ,rebuild front and rear suspension ,install guages and exhaust.

It looks great!!

What paint system did you use. I'm looking for suggestions on sealer, primer and finish coat.

I use all catalyzed products ,thats a must.I used ppg concept system which is dp epoxy primers,k36 urethane primer surfacer and concept single stage urethane.All of those are top of the line products.There are simalar products that are close to equal the quality and work quite well but I choose to use the Concept system so that I can guarantee it under PPGs paint performance guarantee.

Paintdaddy,
Have you used the NCP271 product and switched to K36 or have you used K36 all along? The reason I ask is that I notice a lot of people use K36, but I have allways used NCP And don't really feel the need to switch unless there is a distinct advantage to K36.
I am really looking for someone who has used both and can offer their opinion of each product. I would agree on the Concept system, it is first rate!
Regards, John McGraw

Even more paint questions....

Have you tried out the Glasurit paint system by BASF? Their products are supposed to be top of the line and currently used by the following list of manufacturers as their paint of choice...

*Alfa Romeo
* Bentley
* BMW
* Daimler-Benz AG
* Ferrari
* Ford
* General Motors
* Hyundai
* Jaguar
* Nissan
* Porsche
* Rolls-Royce
* Saturn
* Toyota
* Volkswagen/Audi
* Volvo

I'm thinking if it's good enough for Rolls Royce, it can't be too bad!!

John,I have used both.Both of those primers ,as all other primer surfacers are to be used over other primers ,I use DP epoxy primers under my surfacers and the only problem I had with the NCP primer surfacers were that if sprayed too wet it has a possibility of lifting/wrinkling the epoxy primer.Doing typical body and paint work ,the ncp surfacer will work well.I had a problem spraying wheels .Trying to get in all of the nooks and crannies of a wheel causes you to put more on than is needed but there is no other way,thats when I would usually have lifting problems.There is one other slight downfall but its minor.The Ncp is proven to have less build properties.I use k36 because corvettes are so wavy from the factory and I know Ill need all I the build I can get.
Mac,Glasurit is an awsome product.Cost is the only downfall with it.I have a good friend who uses it in Cincinnatti and loves it .He claims it is so user freindly a 3 year old could use it.I painted a bumper to a Ferrari years ago with it once ,reason being ,the owner requested it plus the european paint manufacturers had a better color match to european cars.Good stuff.

k-38 primer ?

I doing paint work on my 67 and was thinking of using
K-38 after i seal body with DP-50

Ive never used k38 and Ive never heard anything negative about it.Ive known one person to use it and he had nothing bad to say about it.For all of the tech sheets on ppg products you can go to their website.Also if you want to do some price comparison check www.ketone.com .The prices are about the same as any local paint store.

Just wanted to make sure everyone didnt misunderstand me.By saying ,you can look up the tech sheets I wasnt trying to blow anyone off.Just meant Im not a genius and havent used every product out there.I have stuck with the same product line for years for a reason and its because thats what works best for me .I have to stick with what works and use products that have multiple uses to keep minimal stock.I dont mind answering questions at all.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom