Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The paint is coming off

oceangal

Corvette
1982 silver/claret
once my husband brought home his paint scrapers from work it went much faster than the razor blades we were using. I say we and really its 90% him!

I know he was hoping the car wouldn't have repairs and bondo but lo and behold it did. My husband has worked on cars for over 30 years and he has yet to see a vette that hasn't had shoddy work. I guess mine was no exception. He is like a CSI for auto restoration. He told me there were 5 coats of paint over the years and then went on to dissect each layer of bondo and primer etc. I just nodded my head a lot :)

My honey has great taste (he married me, right?) and I have put my trust in him about the L-88 hood. I think I will like it now that he listened to my concerns about the lines that she used to have. I guarantee it will be one of a kind. A few other subtle changes are in the works and I can't wait to show her off.

Here are some pictures:

CarpicturesApril09005.jpg

CarpicturesApril09006.jpg

CarpicturesApril09008.jpg

Good luck with it. Any idea what color is going on here?

:w
-Stefan

I really want to keep it two tone and still have it be a silver with a different shade of a maroon. The claret that is on there is really dark and I want something brighter. I also want to incorporate the 3 pinstripes colors we found on the inside of the door jam. I would prefer to have the bottom part be the silver part so we shall see.

Course my husband jokes that I won't know what color he is painting it until he is done. :chuckle

What kind of paint scraper did you use? Im going to repaint mine and would rather paint, then strip. Any help would be appriicated.
Thanks,
Dillon

I really want to keep it two tone and still have it be a silver with a different shade of a maroon. The claret that is on there is really dark and I want something brighter. I also want to incorporate the 3 pinstripes colors we found on the inside of the door jam. I would prefer to have the bottom part be the silver part so we shall see.

Course my husband jokes that I won't know what color he is painting it until he is done. :chuckle

I was pretty sure mine was staying white. My Dad got involved, and now it is red...lol

It is a lot of work stripping and painting, but I am sure you and your husband will do a great job! Keep the pictures coming!

... I just nodded my head a lot :)

My honey has great taste (he married me, right?) and I have put my trust in him about the L-88 hood. I think I will like it now that he listened to my concerns about the lines that she used to have. I guarantee it will be one of a kind. A few other subtle changes are in the works and I can't wait to show her off.

Lori,

That has to be so cool. And it only costs you beer or some other favorite beverage, right?:beer:L

Congratulations on getting the project moving. Keep us posted with lots of pictures...:thumb:thumb:thumb

When I painted mine 5 years ago,we found all kinds of cover ups that had to be repaired...:ugh
but the end result is well worth the effort!!!!

More things uncovered but all in all it could be worse. Thanks for the encouragement :)

Hubby gave my daily ride a quick makeover (the man never sleeps!) , new shocks and struts, new rims and new tires and he did the front and rear brakes too.

I bet you didn't know that the Neon came in a V8 now did ya? :)

Neon001.jpg

My husband and I share a crazy sense of humor. He asked me what color I wanted the calipers and drums painted and I said purple. LOL

Neon002.jpg

Neon003.jpg

(not sure why the colors on my camera are so funky, maybe its the rain)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom