Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The Power of $20

paul67

Corvette
1974 convertible
Each for the last 10 years the Business Investment Association of a local heritage and tourist area has held a classic car event the first Sunday in June. The area started life many decades ago as a farmers' (much like a mini version of Quincey in Boston) market and still is, but has branched out into trendy restaurants, nightclubs, etc. The automobile event has always been a success with participants limited to the first 250 cars registered (no fee.) Those who showed late did not get spots and could only cruise about. I have attended on four occasions and enjoyed it very much, as I did today.

I arrived at 8:00am and settled in for the 10:00am "official" start although it is a public shopping area. By 11:00am I noticed how few cars were present despite nice skies and 72F temps. So I asked one of the organizers what was happening but she did not have, or offer, an explanation. She did state that only 40-50 cars were expected. So I mulled things over and -ching/ching- it might be the $20 registration fee dedicated to a local street kids rehabilitation program! If so that means 200+ individuals refused to ante up the fee to enjoy six hours of interaction with a very interested public and their intriguing questions.

Has anyone run into this type of behaviour before? Keep in mind I am just speculating.

Of course, pic attached.

byward004.jpg

It's amazing how much of an effect a $20. fee can have on a previously free show. Odd thing is that if they would have kept the no fee feature and then passed the hat later for the charity they would most likely have made more money. Car people are usually very generous for charitys when it is a free will donation.

Tom,
My thoughts exactly. I spoke with one of the younger organizers as I was about to leave and broached the subject with him. He harangued people with their fancy $100,000(?) classic cars who weren't willing to pay a mere $20 for such an event. I really didn't have a comment. But it did not inspire confidence in the level of professionalism amongst the event management. Keep in mind these are not volunteers they are salaried city employees.

I have two charities I regularly contibute to as I admire their missions. But they do not share mailing (or 'phone lists). There are many more out there with equally admirable missions. But they do share info. I made the mistake of agreeing to a $25 contribution to a certain fund about three months ago to send kids to summer camp and now the 'phone is ringing off the wall. Never again. In Canada we can block off commercial telemarketers but charitable organizations are exempt. It's madness. So to a certain extent I can sympathize with the "protest" vote today.

Rather than chill out at home, I will be preparing a polite letter of criticism to those in charge. They will have a year to think things over.

paul67 said:
" He harangued people with their fancy $100,000(?) classic cars who weren't willing to pay a mere $20 for such an event."

Paul I think Tom got it as well. This guy was taking one thing that all of us value - choice. In the case of our cars - it's our choice. Our accountants would tell us it isn't a great investment and we would all argue because it's our choice to evaluate the return on our investment based upon something othen than the $$$. If the hat had been passed - it would have been our choice to step up to the plate and give. Funny how some people just don't get that.

Geek,
Great point. What's the ROI on a fun sunny Sunday afternoon drive? In many ways it is greater than oil and commodities futures in the markets. Nice to have but dull.

In any case, rant over.

Paul,

I've recently encountered a similar behavior regarding entry fees. A friend of mine is adamant that he will never pay to show his car when spectators are charged admission to see the cars. He asks if they charge the NBA players to get into the game. :) I don't disagree with him but I grin and bear it so as to enjoy the day with my less tight wadded car buddies. Charities are an entirely different story. I have heard some of my buddies say things like "Why don't we go to the XYZ show on Saturday night. It's free. That ABC show on Friday night is $20". Nobody really even mentions the charity involved and a lot of times I have to admit I don't know if it's a charity or a money maker for another club or whatever before I get there. As previously stated, sometimes it just comes down to choice. Look at the bright side, next year you'll know you can sleep in longer and still get a good parking spot. :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom