Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The Tail to be safer...

Corvette
2012 💯 4LT GS Roadster
Known as The Tail of the Dragon, U.S. 129 is a challenging road to drive under ideal circumstances. With 318 turns in 11 miles of two-lane, the dangers include blind corners, over-enthusiastic drivers, wildlife – and tractor-trailers. Now, thanks to an operational and safety review by the Tennessee Department of Transportation, the odds of encountering a tractor-trailer sprawled across two lanes in a blind corner have been diminished, as commercial vehicles longer than 30-feet have been banned from the road.

Truck ban to make The Tail of the Dragon (a little bit) safer |- Hemmings Daily

Good to know. My club is doing the Tail in July and I'm still trying to decide if I want to do it. Not as comfortable a trip in my C4 since everyone else will be in a C6 or C7. They are also scheduled to visit the Biltmore mansion and Rick Hendricks' museum so it will be a good trip.

Ron
"Baldie88"

The one time I did the "Tail," I did not see any trucks but there were a few RV's trying to drive it and they got in the way.
If you're in the area, you ought to drive the "Tail."

Second gear, hands 3 & 9 and don't look down!

Jane Ann (XLR8) and I talked about doing the Tail of the Dragon together. She'd done it a number of times. Alas. :(

Mac

We've been there a few times two and four wheels. What is so special about it is it goes on for miles and miles.

Interstate rigs should have been banned from there years ago.

Only time I drove the "Tail" I found the speed limit so low, the number of traffic enforcement units in the area and the amount of traffic such that I was impossible to drive in a sporting manner.

As a result, I don't get what the deal is with the Tail of the Dragon.

Is it enough to say you've "done the Tail" even if all you did is poke along at 10-25-mph?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom