Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The Truth about Ignition Wire

Good article.

Misrouted wires can cause BIG problems - GM HE ignition is just LOOKING for a way out, and if misrouted, as in, NOT in the original SP wire looms, and near something else metal, the wires CAN emit EMI - electro-magnetic interference - same as a nuke, and this can cause false codes from solid-state sensors, ESPECIALLY ABS module, and some codes which DON'T light SES. Ask me how I know that read it in FSM by chance after chasing a false code for almost 10 weeks in '08 yup UH huh YIKES.

The subsequent misfire COULD account for high HC count, lower exhaust, higher NOx count. That's a stretch tho'...

Danged plagerizers! :mad

Keep in mind people that this article is on a web site owned by "Magnacore" which is a company which markets its own design of ignition wire.

Hib, do you have any info about the Magnecor product, pro or con, that you would be willing to share? I'm curious if you've researched their products, and how they compare with OEM equipment as well as other aftermarket ignition products.
Thanks,
Andy Anderson

Go to a NHRA NAtional event where 100's of thousands of dollars are on the line and look at what they are using for Ignition.

It starts with a M but not Magnecore.

I've used the Mag wires before on a non-vette.Good but nothing special,IMO.

I use Taylor Wires(Tay 79203)on my 02Z.Good wires and about $63 shipped.

\db2
Carolina

Go to a NHRA NAtional event where 100's of thousands of dollars are on the line and look at what they are using for Ignition.

It starts with a M but not Magnecore.
I AIN'T puting Motorcraft or Mopar wires on MY Vette! :boogie:boogie
Andy :w

Hib, do you have any info about the Magnecor product, pro or con, that you would be willing to share? I'm curious if you've researched their products, and how they compare with OEM equipment as well as other aftermarket ignition products.
Thanks,
Andy Anderson

No I have not information on Magnecor other than what I've read on their web site and, that isn't much because I really haven't had the time to fully explore all that.

To be honest, I have no need to learn more right now. I've used MSD ignition parts for over two decades and that includes their SuperConductor wire sets on every car I own with engines that use plug wires. The performance has always been good and the durability has always been oustanding.

This is not to say Magnacor stuff is bad, it's just to say that I've used MSD for a long time and have no reason to change because I'm very satisfied with the results I've had with Super Conductor wire sets.

That said, I think if I had to consider a change, I'd look, first, at the spark plug wire Crane sells in it's ignition line before I'd consider Magnacor. I have researched Crane plug wires a little and they're a pretty darn good product.

Thanks Hib! Just exactly the kind of info that I was looking for.
I'm a little partial to MSD as well...........
Andy

I don't know what the deal is with wires and the L98. Even the AC Delco wires are super long. I wouldn't think the stock wires were as long as the AC Delco wires.

I think I'm gonna go with Taylor. As the set that was on there was Taylor Spiro Pro and the #1 plug wire is 39". Where as the AC Delco and everyone else it seems are 44". So the Taylor wires fit alot better. No worry about what to do with extra inches of wire.

I used the Taylor braided stainless steel and they fit nicely on my 84. Look very good too. They dont list as an application but they do fit well. Same size as the ones Josh mentioned? I wonder;shrug

I used the Taylor braided stainless steel and they fit nicely on my 84. Look very good too. They dont list as an application but they do fit well. Same size as the ones Josh mentioned? I wonder;shrug

Was that a premade set? I know all the sets I've looked up had the same length as AC Delco. I know the #1 and #2 plug wires are 44". The Taylor universal set the PO put on that he made up, the #1 plug wire is 39". So, that means you have at least an extra 5" for the #1 wire that you have to figure out what to do with if you get a premade set.

The other wires are also longer then they need to be as well, but that #1 wire is the worst. I'm gonna cut mine to length myself.

When I replaced the O.E.M. Delco/Packard wires on my '92, I went with the 7mm. Belden Premium Super Blue Ignition Wires from NAPA Auto Stores.

When I replaced the O.E.M. Delco/Packard wires on my '92, I went with the 7mm. Belden Premium Super Blue Ignition Wires from NAPA Auto Stores.

After I returned the AC Delco wires. I got some Belden 8mm set for my 89. They too were super long like the AC Delco. But the problem I had was number 6. As that boot is a 135* boot, which is almost straight. I couldn't get it to click on the plug, and what I found is the boot was pulling off the wire to where you didn't have enough room for the plug to snap into the connector.

I couldn't get the boot back down on the wire where it was supposed to be so I returned them as I didn't want to mess with it anymore. I ended up getting a Taylor Spiro Pro Universal set for $25 off eBay. Haha. That is the same set that was on the car. Now I'll just need to get the $10 Taylor tool and I'll have my own custom set.

When I put the P600B Procharger on my car I used the Delco wires and at 10 lbs boost they worked well.
When I built my current setup a small block 406 with a D1-R and 24 lbs of boost with Nitrous Oxide the engine would miss bad.

I talked to MSD tech and was told to up grade from my MSD 6al to a MSD digital 7 ignition system.
When I put it on I installed a new set of Morroso racing wires and when I started the engine the spark blew through the wires and jumped about a inch and a half to the intake manifold it looked like man made lightening.

I put on a set of MSD super conductors that was 6 years ago been running fine ever since.

How good a wire you need depends on the engine.
If your engine is stock or nearly stock any plug wire will work but as you increase the demand then you will learn that MSD super conductors are the Best wires available.
Few people really need that good a wire but since they are all nearly the same money why not use the best and that is the super conductors.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom