Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The truth about numbers... Blackwing vs. Honker

*89x2*

I have recently had the chance to follow the Callaway Honker airbox through the process from idea to construction, to finally - PRODUCTION! and while that in itself has been exciting, the results these products gave might be just as interesting, maybe more...

on another site, the following question was asked - After doing some searching, here is what I found...

Dakota Slim said:
Would be interested in a comparisson of the DONALDSON vs. The HONKER.

Dakota Slim, I saw this question earlier in the week however, I did not want to comment until everything was verified
re: the Donaldson (Blackwing) airfilter vs. the Callaway Honker Airbox/filter, the Honker when tested in a controlled situation by an individual (third) party, proved to give more power, hands down :upthumbs
Tested on a 2000 FRC by Reese Cox, the testing was done in two ways - with the hood open, and with the hood closed.
The results are in...
Donaldson Blackwing:
Hood open = 408 rwhp
Hood closed = 399 rwhp
Callaway Honker:
Hood open = 419.4 rwhp
Hood closed = 419.4 rwhp
The Callaway Honker made 19.4 MORE rear wheel horsepower over the Donaldson Blackwing, tested on the same car, at the same place, same testing methods :cool
Having seen both the Callaway C5 Honker and C6 and followed them through the stages of production, the C6 Honker had fewer "limits" on design, as the C6 offered a bit more flexibility with a greater area under the hood to work with (over the C5)
-Expect gains to be equal to, or better than the C5 Honker
Why the hood open or closed during tests???
One thing that this illustrates is the difference in power that "open element" air filters show for gains during dyno testing.
During all of my visits to dyno facilities, I always see the cars hood open during testing - what is interesting here, is how the FRC test car showed 9 rwhp MORE w/ the hood open, drawing in fresh air.
The only problem with this method of realizing numbers is, who drives with their hood open?? :crazy
That is in effect, 9 rwhp that you will NEVER realize...
The Callaway Honker however, posted the same numbers on each test, drawing its cool, fresh air from beneath and certainly making the numbers - hood up, or down.

In closing, I recently heard about another test run by Callaway Cars Authorized Distributor - PRO AUTO TECH in Florida.
The testing they had previously done, showed the most powerful exhaust (Cat-Back) to be from TPIS. Using their best system that reportedly uses a muffler design from a (German) production car, the car was tested with their system and then the Callaway Cat-Back system.
Evidently, a big bark doesn't mean a big bite :eek
Callaway's Cat-Back system showed gains of 5 hp & 4 lb ft of torque over the other system that was previously "Crowned King".

I hope this helps - :m

Very informative thanks*89x2* :upthumbs

Cool thread..

Don't know if I buy all the test data but do appreciate the information all the same...

Callaway makes some fine products...

Any chance we can see what the Callaway Honker looks like and what it prices out at...

Hows the installation?

JB

JBsC5 said:
Cool thread..

Don't know if I buy all the test data but do appreciate the information all the same...

Callaway makes some fine products...

Any chance we can see what the Callaway Honker looks like and what it prices out at...

Hows the installation?

JB

JB, the testing was done by a third party independant from Callaway Cars or Blackwing which certainly add validity I think.

re: the prices, they are all on the www.callawaycars.com website under the new store heading - check it out, the site is totally revised.

Installation on the C6 Honker took about 1 hr +/- :cool

Also, you can read about the process of testing, engineering and evaluating a C6 here:

Carlisle Callaway Corvette C6 – C36 part I

Carlisle Callaway Corvette C6 – C36 Part II

cotm6.jpg

Is it possible for you to post the actual dyno data? Also, what kind of dyno was it? Is all the data SAE-corrected?

Hib Halverson said:
Is it possible for you to post the actual dyno data? Also, what kind of dyno was it? Is all the data SAE-corrected?

Hib, I will post the actual dyno sheet(s) - proabably on Monday afternoon, as they were on the gentlemans other computer when we spoke.

The figures are going to be shown as Standard Corrected.

Thanks - Chris :m

*89x2* said:
I have recently had the chance to follow the Callaway Honker airbox through the process from idea to construction, to finally - PRODUCTION! and while that in itself has been exciting, the results these products gave might be just as interesting, maybe more...

on another site, the following question was asked - After doing some searching, here is what I found...

Dakota Slim, I saw this question earlier in the week however, I did not want to comment until everything was verified
re: the Donaldson (Blackwing) airfilter vs. the Callaway Honker Airbox/filter, the Honker when tested in a controlled situation by an individual (third) party, proved to give more power, hands down :upthumbs
Tested on a 2000 FRC by Reese Cox, the testing was done in two ways - with the hood open, and with the hood closed.
The results are in...
Donaldson Blackwing:
Hood open = 408 rwhp
Hood closed = 399 rwhp
Callaway Honker:
Hood open = 419.4 rwhp
Hood closed = 419.4 rwhp
The Callaway Honker made 19.4 MORE rear wheel horsepower over the Donaldson Blackwing, tested on the same car, at the same place, same testing methods :cool
Having seen both the Callaway C5 Honker and C6 and followed them through the stages of production, the C6 Honker had fewer "limits" on design, as the C6 offered a bit more flexibility with a greater area under the hood to work with (over the C5)
-Expect gains to be equal to, or better than the C5 Honker
Why the hood open or closed during tests???
One thing that this illustrates is the difference in power that "open element" air filters show for gains during dyno testing.
During all of my visits to dyno facilities, I always see the cars hood open during testing - what is interesting here, is how the FRC test car showed 9 rwhp MORE w/ the hood open, drawing in fresh air.
The only problem with this method of realizing numbers is, who drives with their hood open?? :crazy
That is in effect, 9 rwhp that you will NEVER realize...
The Callaway Honker however, posted the same numbers on each test, drawing its cool, fresh air from beneath and certainly making the numbers - hood up, or down.

In closing, I recently heard about another test run by Callaway Cars Authorized Distributor - PRO AUTO TECH in Florida.
The testing they had previously done, showed the most powerful exhaust (Cat-Back) to be from TPIS. Using their best system that reportedly uses a muffler design from a (German) production car, the car was tested with their system and then the Callaway Cat-Back system.
Evidently, a big bark doesn't mean a big bite :eek
Callaway's Cat-Back system showed gains of 5 hp & 4 lb ft of torque over the other system that was previously "Crowned King".

I hope this helps - :m
the hood open vs the hood closed is because with the car standing still on a chassis dyno there is no air flow around the air filter only hot under the hood air with the hood closed. i ran test on my C-5 using temp probes at the air filter vs temp probes at the outside by the front bumper and at WOT on the road i saw less then 5 degrees difference. with the fact that HP changes 1% for every 10 degree drop in inlet air temp that would be 2 HP difference at the most. i have not tried this with my C-6. JMHO

Are all the figures std. corrected or just the final numbers?

Gentlemen, here is the dyno sheet from the testing session, I hope this helps... :v

Dyno Chart 1 shows Dynorun .005 equipped with a head/cam LS-1 and Blackwing Air Filter
Dynorun .008 is same engine - but with the Callaway Honker, hood closed
HonkerDynoChart1.jpg

*89x2*,
Forgive me if this is obvious information, this is the first I’ve read about the Callaway Honker airbox. Is there or will there be a Honker available for the C4 L98, or LT series engines?

I have the utmost respect for Callaways engineering, this seems like an interesting product.

Thank you,
B17Crew
:w

B17Crew said:
*89x2*,
Forgive me if this is obvious information, this is the first I’ve read about the Callaway Honker airbox. Is there or will there be a Honker available for the C4 L98, or LT series engines?

I have the utmost respect for Callaways engineering, this seems like an interesting product.

Thank you,
B17Crew
:w

For now at least, The Honker is avail. for the C5 and C6 only.

The C5 Honker was featured as part of the Callaway Z06 article in Corvette Enthusiast Magazine (Nov. 2004) and the C6 has been all over the Corvette Enthusiast & Vette magazine Carlisle Callaway C6 stories :cool

Hope this helps :v :m

Does anyone know if installation instructions are posted anywhere? Looks like the way to go but interested how it installs. thanks

OLDGOAT said:
Does anyone know if installation instructions are posted anywhere? Looks like the way to go but interested how it installs. thanks

There are no installation instructions currently online however, they would come w/ buying a Honker - It is faily straightforward though - trimming out the shroud is the big part - everything else lines up - including the Honker settleing into the "notch" that exists.

I hope this helps :m

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom