Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The truth about tires

ICOMP

Corvette
2007 Black Z51 Coupe and 2004 Magnetic Red Coupe
I need to replace the oem tires on my '04 coupe. I drive the car in year round in dry weather. Would like to but something that performs as well as factory tires but maybe quieter. Is there such a tire out there?

Jim

gsd3's

I agree on the Goodyear F1 GS D3 choice, provided you're willing to give-up the runflat feature.

I've been using D3s on Corvettes and Camaros in year-round, high-performance street duty cycle for a number of years with excellent results. If you're ok with using a non-RFT, the D3 offers good dry performance, good wet performance, reduced noise and good treadlife.

On the other hand, if you're going to stick with runflats, read this first:
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/kb/questions/465/Technical+Article:+Run+Flat+Facts

Runfalt or non runflat, be sure to check the treadwear rating. Most any corvette tire will have a AA A rating for temperature and handling, but the treadwear varies a lot with different tire types.

I found the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP worked very well on my '03. Quieter, better in the rain, run flat, higher tread wear rating and cheaper than the GY F1 GS1 that came on the car.

Check pricing and availabity on www.tirerack.com.

Wow. Thanks for your reply. I'll keep you posted on my decision. Just an off the wall comment here...My '07 has the Z51 package and I really like the Goodyear F1 EMT Supercar tires. They are great performance wise, and quiet. Still pretty new with only a few thousand miles on them. Any thoughts on using this tire on my '04?

Jim
I agree on the Goodyear F1 GS D3 choice, provided you're willing to give-up the runflat feature.

I've been using D3s on Corvettes and Camaros in year-round, high-performance street duty cycle for a number of years with excellent results. If you're ok with using a non-RFT, the D3 offers good dry performance, good wet performance, reduced noise and good treadlife.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/kb/questions/465/Technical+Article:+Run+Flat+Facts

I need to replace the oem tires on my '04 coupe. I drive the car in year round in dry weather. Would like to but something that performs as well as factory tires but maybe quieter. Is there such a tire out there?

Jim

<< I am running; Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval. Great Tire, Great Price, Fantastic Head to Head ratings on Tirerack.com In the end I purchased from Roadway tire (via the net) they were $90 cheaper per set *delivered and Tirerack would not match the price. >>

I agree with Tuna, I put the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP on my 2000 Vert.

I have to agree with the above.
There are only two tires I would ever put on my Vette.
I'm sticking with run flats so the OEM tires are the best tire for me.
If I ever decided to go with a non-run flat, the best choice for the C5 is the GS-D3s.
The Michelins are a good tire, but the run flat performance is not the same and they look like they belong on a Cadillac and not a Vette, IMHO (taller sidewalls, narrower tread width).

I'm not a big fan of runflat tires..

I've been running my z06 with two sets of goodyears that came standard with the car..

Then a set of michelin pilot sports..

and now the Toyo proxi's..which delivered in at 762 dollars...

I have to say the Toyos are an excellent tire.

I'd buy them again.

Good luck deciding..

Now that both Vettes in my garage are C6's I have to think about tires for them. I'm at the point where I need front tires for the 06 C6 and GY is out of stock of the standard GS2. They are supposed to be shipping some soon if I can wait. I'll try to wait.

As for C5 tires, I wish GY made the GS2 in C5 sizes as I dislike the GS1's that came on the car. The C6 OEM tires are much better in my opinion.

The Supercar tires are very good - quiet and lots of traction but they wear out fast.

I love the D3 - I've used D3's on my old 92 Vette and on my CTS-V. The D3, however, is not available in EMT versions for the C5 or C6 (fronts only), so you have to give up run-flat cabilility. Not my first choice.

I replaced the OEM tires on my 03 with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP and was very happy. If GS2's had been available in C5 sizes, I probably would not have made that choice. If D3's were available in EMT and C5 (or C6) sizes I would certainly have purchased them first as I highly recommend them. Too bad they are not.

Hope you find a tire you are happy with.

ICOMP.I do not have an answer on your tires.Just wanted to say hi I am in Harrison,Ohio good to see someone else from this area,maybe get together some time.

(snip)
My '07 has the Z51 package and I really like the Goodyear F1 EMT Supercar tires. (snip) Any thoughts on using this tire on my '04?

Jim

Great idea but....Goodyear does not make the F1 Supercar EMT in C5 sizes.

Cool! I went to Harrison High and was raised in that area. I'll wave at you when I see the silver 'Vette!

ICOMP

I'll keep you posted...Thanks!

ICOMP
Now that both Vettes in my garage are C6's I have to think about tires for them. I'm at the point where I need front tires for the 06 C6 and GY is out of stock of the standard GS2. They are supposed to be shipping some soon if I can wait. I'll try to wait.

As for C5 tires, I wish GY made the GS2 in C5 sizes as I dislike the GS1's that came on the car. The C6 OEM tires are much better in my opinion.

The Supercar tires are very good - quiet and lots of traction but they wear out fast.

I love the D3 - I've used D3's on my old 92 Vette and on my CTS-V. The D3, however, is not available in EMT versions for the C5 or C6 (fronts only), so you have to give up run-flat cabilility. Not my first choice.

I replaced the OEM tires on my 03 with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP and was very happy. If GS2's had been available in C5 sizes, I probably would not have made that choice. If D3's were available in EMT and C5 (or C6) sizes I would certainly have purchased them first as I highly recommend them. Too bad they are not.

Hope you find a tire you are happy with.

I am running the PS2 run flats on my Vette. IMPORTANT FACT!! If you drive in the winter, none of the above tires are rated to be driven in temps below about 40 deg. F and performance and safety may suffer.

I have been very happy with my Michelins so far. Good performance, they are much quieter than the GYs, they are great in the rain (yes I get cought now and again) and I do not think they look bad at all (as several have suggested-maybe they look better on the magnesium wheels?). I agree, they are not rated to run as far flat as the GYs, but I am rarely more than a few miles from civilization (sometimes I feel out in nowhere in southern Indiana but even there I am not far from a Michilin dealer).

Just food for thought IMHO.

I am also in SE Indiana...Good point in terms of the cold. I am leaning toward the GS D3's...I'll keep you posted on my final decision. In the past I've ventured away from the factory tire and been very dissapointed with the results. Thanks for the input...

ICOMP
I am running the PS2 run flats on my Vette. IMPORTANT FACT!! If you drive in the winter, none of the above tires are rated to be driven in temps below about 40 deg. F and performance and safety may suffer.

I have been very happy with my Michelins so far. Good performance, they are much quieter than the GYs, they are great in the rain (yes I get cought now and again) and I do not think they look bad at all (as several have suggested-maybe they look better on the magnesium wheels?). I agree, they are not rated to run as far flat as the GYs, but I am rarely more than a few miles from civilization (sometimes I feel out in nowhere in southern Indiana but even there I am not far from a Michilin dealer).

Just food for thought IMHO.

I found the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP worked very well on my '03. Quieter, better in the rain, run flat, higher tread wear rating and cheaper than the GY F1 GS1 that came on the car.

Check pricing and availabity on www.tirerack.com.
I just replaced the rear OEM tires with the Michelin and they are soooooooo much quieter. I believe the tread wear rating is 400. I certainly don't race so these seemed like a perfect fit. Bought them at a local tire dealer and the price was a little better than anything I found online.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom