Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The truth about tires

<< I am running; Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval. Great Tire, Great Price, Fantastic Head to Head ratings on Tirerack.com In the end I purchased from Roadway tire (via the net) they were $90 cheaper per set *delivered and Tirerack would not match the price. >>
I don't believe the Wide Ovals come in sizes for the C5.

I agree the Michelin Pilots are the answer. Better tread, quieter, and still handle great and cost less! I replaced my Goodyear OEM's with Michelin Pilots on my '04 convertible. I did a lot of research on tire barn's website, and better than 95% of the replies for C5 relacement tires were for the Michelin Pilot runflats. :)

I agree the Michelin Pilots are the answer. Better tread, quieter, and still handle great and cost less! I replaced my Goodyear OEM's with Michelin Pilots on my '04 convertible. I did a lot of research on tire barn's website, and better than 95% of the replies for C5 relacement tires were for the Michelin Pilot runflats. :)

Well...It was a tough decision, but based on my previous satisfation with Goodyear tires I opted for the GSD3's and I am pretty satisfied with them so far. Noticable improvement in noise level, improved ride, and very, very sticky handling even in the rain. We have to wait andd see how long they'll last, but I'm happy so far.

ICOMP

The Pilots a good tire, but they look like they belong on an SUV and not a Vette. The looks of that tire are:puke

Well...It was a tough decision, but based on my previous satisfation with Goodyear tires I opted for the GSD3's and I am pretty satisfied with them so far. Noticable improvement in noise level, improved ride, and very, very sticky handling even in the rain. We have to wait andd see how long they'll last, but I'm happy so far.

ICOMP

If you are going to go with a non-runflat, this is the best of the bunch for the C5:beer

For those of you that have referenced tread wear ratings-have a reputable dealer explain to you what they really mean. You can't compare treadwear ratings betwen manufacturers, they only relate to offerings within each manufacturers product line. (I have been a tire dealer for over 25 years)

I agree with Tuna, I put the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP on my 2000 Vert.

The Pilots a good tire, but they look like they belong on an SUV and not a Vette. The looks of that tire are:puke

How does a 245/45/17 and a 275/40/18 look like it belongs on an SUV?

How does a 245/45/17 and a 275/40/18 look like it belongs on an SUV?

Because the tread area is about 2 inches narrower and 1 inch taller than OEM. You notice the tire before you notice the wheel. I speak from personal experience because I had them installed on my first C5 and that is what I thought of them.

Don't get me wrong. The Michelins are a fine replacement for the Goodyear OEMs, but I don't like the looks or the runflat performance of the Michelins. These are just my personal views (of course). I don't find the OEMs harsh riding or noisy. The OEMs suit my needs just fine. I would even venture to say the MOST Vette owners run OEM tires.

:beer

Because the tread area is about 2 inches narrower and 1 inch taller than OEM. You notice the tire before you notice the wheel. I speak from personal experience because I had them installed on my first C5 and that is what I thought of them.

Don't get me wrong. The Michelins are a fine replacement for the Goodyear OEMs, but I don't like the looks or the runflat performance of the Michelins. These are just my personal views (of course). I don't find the OEMs harsh riding or noisy. The OEMs suit my needs just fine. I would even venture to say the MOST Vette owners run OEM tires.

:beer

If you go to Tire Racks web site and look at the Goodyear F1 EMT and then the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP and click on spec's, it shows the section width identical for the front and the Michelin .2" wider at the rear. Section width is the width inside the tire. Michelin doesn't show a tread width. Overall diameter is even for the rear tires, and within .4" for the front. The Eagle F1GS-D3 is even narrower, almost an inch difference. The Michelin also has a higher max load , max air pressure, and tread wear rating. It also weighs a little less. Overall, I would say they are very close, spec wise.

If you go to Tire Racks web site and look at the Goodyear F1 EMT and then the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP and click on spec's, it shows the section width identical for the front and the Michelin .2" wider at the rear. Section width is the width inside the tire. Michelin doesn't show a tread width. Overall diameter is even for the rear tires, and within .4" for the front. The Eagle F1GS-D3 is even narrower, almost an inch difference. The Michelin also has a higher max load , max air pressure, and tread wear rating. It also weighs a little less. Overall, I would say they are very close, spec wise.

In the interests of not starting a debate on GY vs. Michelin, let me preface by saying again, the Michelins are a good tire.

That said, IMHO, they look like azz on a C5. I don't mind and can afford the added cost of keeping OEM rubber on my Vette. The MAIN appeal of switching to Michelin RFs or going non-run flat, in estimation, besides the perceived handling gain, is the reduced cost over OEM.

When I had the Michelins, I (and some of my friends who are fellow Vette owners) noticed the tire before the wheel. Its a look I can't and don't have to live with. Just my $0.02.

No debate here, just showing some spec's from Tire Rack. Freedom of choice is a good thing.

Just curious though, what about them makes them look bad? I have seen them on Vett's and they just look like tires to me. Again, no arguement intended, just curious.

No debate here, just showing some spec's from Tire Rack. Freedom of choice is a good thing.

Just curious though, what about them makes them look bad? I have seen them on Vett's and they just look like tires to me. Again, no arguement intended, just curious.

Thank for just asking for a clarification of my opinion and not wanting to spark a debate.

Like I stated before, IMHO, the Michelins are a good tire, but tread on them (being that they are all-season tires) just scream "Cadillac" or "Trail Blazer" because they don't have the "low profile" look of the OEMs. The rim flange, taller stance and yes, narrower tread area, just don't look right to me on a Vette.

Don't get me wrong, I had this tire before and would gladly put them on my Vette again if OEMs were not available or just as a winter tire (my Vette is a DD and I live in TX, so I can pretty much run summer tires all year long).

Anyway, hope that clarifies my take:beer

Got it. I am going to look at them a little closer next time.

I have no interest in reverting to runflats, so my question is purely out of curiosity...
What is the problem with the Michelin ZP "look"? Can someone post a pic or a link to one? I did see the sig pic in post #17, but it's taken from too far away to show any detail.

Here is one example of the Michelin ZPs and one with OEMs (neither are of my car, but the best examples I could find)

Greetings of the New Year !!

I have been watching threads like this one since I too am about to replace my 1st set of factory tires. My 2007 C6 has the Z51 package, thus the supercar tires. Even without track time, they are looking like they will need replaced this spring and with only 8600 miles currently, I'd guess they won't go 12K in the end.

I have considered the GY GSD3's, I went through two sets of these on my 2002 CLK55 AMG Mercedes. I only got 12K out of each set, and found that a little disappointing. I had picked them for the V shaped tread pattern that was similar to the AMG's factory Michelins (they changed the thread pattern on the pilot's) and I put them on at a time when I was very disappointed with the way Michelin Teams messed up the Indy F1 race (OK, I'm still not over that one). ;shrug The GSD3's were great handlers even in the rain. They too were noisy near the end of the life cycle, I'm guessing this must be common as the thread depth lowers. I also drive most of my daily commute around Indianapolis on the 465 interstate, here the concrete highway (not black-top) is very noisy.

Is it a simple fact the if I am going to play...I'll have to pay...to the tune of $2,000.00 per year for tires...I plan to drive this wonderful car 10-12K /yr. March -through- November (and on days like yesterday...68 degrees here).

I have been considering a second set of wheels, for a non-run flat....peak of summer tire, that I hope to take on the car to the track 2 to 3 times a year.

Suggestions are welcome.:w.... I should add, that I am curious about anyone who is currently running the Firestone Wide Ovals on the street.....since I may have a prefered pricing option here as the daily driver set.

Greetings of the New Year !!

I have been watching threads like this one since I too am about to replace my 1st set of factory tires. My 2007 C6 has the Z51 package, thus the supercar tires. Even without track time, they are looking like they will need replaced this spring and with only 8600 miles currently, I'd guess they won't go 12K in the end.

I have considered the GY GSD3's, I went through two sets of these on my 2002 CLK55 AMG Mercedes. I only got 12K out of each set, and found that a little disappointing. I had picked them for the V shaped tread pattern that was similar to the AMG's factory Michelins (they changed the thread pattern on the pilot's) and I put them on at a time when I was very disappointed with the way Michelin Teams messed up the Indy F1 race (OK, I'm still not over that one). ;shrug The GSD3's were great handlers even in the rain. They too were noisy near the end of the life cycle, I'm guessing this must be common as the thread depth lowers. I also drive most of my daily commute around Indianapolis on the 465 interstate, here the concrete highway (not black-top) is very noisy.

Is it a simple fact the if I am going to play...I'll have to pay...to the tune of $2,000.00 per year for tires...I plan to drive this wonderful car 10-12K /yr. March -through- November (and on days like yesterday...68 degrees here).

I have been considering a second set of wheels, for a non-run flat....peak of summer tire, that I hope to take on the car to the track 2 to 3 times a year.

Suggestions are welcome.:w.... I should add, that I am curious about anyone who is currently running the Firestone Wide Ovals on the street.....since I may have a prefered pricing option here as the daily driver set.

I am running the Firehawk Wide Ovals on my 96. I bought them after seeing the Comparison Tests on Tire Rack. Best tire for a competitive price. I drive them pretty hard and have been very pleased.

I was very disappointed with the way Michelin Teams messed up the Indy F1 race (OK, I'm still not over that one). ;shrug

Can you believe it was warmer in Indy in January than in Orlando!!! WOW!

I am running PS2ZP as an everyday tire. I am very pleased with the all around performance--BUT--I do not take mine out on the track. I do notice the increased sidewall flex (OK its at 35-40 mph around the Carmel roundabouts, but a guy has to have some fun) as compared to the OEM GYs, but they are much quieter and get better wet traction than the GYs.

Some do not like the look, I think they are OK. If you want to see them let me know, I am in Westfield.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom