Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The truth about tires

Best tire for 2001 coupe?

Hello to all, I bought my 2001 coupe in October, and what an impressive ride it is. I am wanting to replace my runflats with a set if Eagle F-1 GS-D3's. Is there a hands down best all around tire for my baby, other than these? Will the tire pressure monitors go haywire with these new skins? All comments are appreciated. Thanx, c5havin.

I replaced my OEM Goodyear runflats with Michelin Pilot runflats and noticed a big improvement on my 2004 convertible.

Thanks for the info. I am changing my mind on a daily basis it seems. The last thing that I would want to do is make a great handling car not so great. My fronts are like new, so I would only need rears. Plugging a tire on the side of the road doesn't sound like fun, but in exchange for a better ride and much improved handling with the non-emt's is a difficult decision. I do keep one thing in mind, my baby deserves the best. Thanks again vet rain for your thoughts and opinion. Now I am really confused. Remember the wave!!!!! c5havin

I have just replaced the rears on my 2002 and I coulndn't afford the Goodyear EMT's so I looked around and got 2 Sumitomo HRTZ II, they look great, run great and only cost $306 fitted the pair. I will let you all know how they are long term but at the moment here in Dallas they are great.

Michael. :v

I have just replaced the rears on my 2002 and I coulndn't afford the Goodyear EMT's so I looked around and got 2 Sumitomo HRTZ II, they look great, run great and only cost $306 fitted the pair. I will let you all know how they are long term but at the moment here in Dallas they are great.

Michael. :v
Hello Michael, after a lot of thought over a span of weeks it seems, my baby is going to get a new set of tires for the rear. My coupe came with Firehawk sz50 emt's. I have been very happy with the handling of my car and so was the previous owner, hence the reason I am in need of rears. After some serious budgeting, new skins come this weekend. I have to replace a cracked wheel, and the thought of having to replace a wheel due to a high speed flat does not sound like fun. I will also let you know more tire attributes after my first trip through the canyon!:cool c5havin.remember the wave:w

Suggestions are welcome.:w.... I should add, that I am curious about anyone who is currently running the Firestone Wide Ovals on the street.....since I may have a prefered pricing option here as the daily driver set.

I've been running the WO on an '04 Z06 since October and have put something like 9k on them (yup, get to run the vette year 'round!). Very pleased with them. Good in rain, good on dry pavement. Kinda tricky (meaning slicker than snot) in cold weather but I think that's been mentioned.

Oh, and the part you're probably most interested in. Looks like they'll get 30k+ although the rears look to be wearing a bit quicker (at this point, they're about 1/32 less tread depth than the fronts, fronts are between 8/32 and 9/32). Haven't figured out why the rears would wear quicker though :rotfl

Tire Pressure

Might sound like a dumb question, but since I am not running the stock run-flat tires on my 98 coupe... is there a difference in the required tire pressure that I need to run? The door sticker states 30# front and back. Just want to make sure what is proper since I just put on a full set of Firestones on brand new Z06 rims yesterday.
Thanks.

Might sound like a dumb question, but since I am not running the stock run-flat tires on my 98 coupe... is there a difference in the required tire pressure that I need to run? The door sticker states 30# front and back. Just want to make sure what is proper since I just put on a full set of Firestones on brand new Z06 rims yesterday.
Thanks.

The door tag on my Z06 says 30 all around.

Wow. Thanks for your reply. I'll keep you posted on my decision. Just an off the wall comment here...My '07 has the Z51 package and I really like the Goodyear F1 EMT Supercar tires. They are great performance wise, and quiet. Still pretty new with only a few thousand miles on them. Any thoughts on using this tire on my '04?

Jim

Great idea, but...even if you changed out your wheels to accomodate these tires have you priced them ($400++)? I love them on my C6 compared to the runflats that came with my C5. I like the GS-D3s for the C5. A little cheaper would be the Kumho SPTs or the MXs.

Hello to all, I bought my 2001 coupe in October, and what an impressive ride it is. I am wanting to replace my runflats with a set if Eagle F-1 GS-D3's. Is there a hands down best all around tire for my baby, other than these? Will the tire pressure monitors go haywire with these new skins? All comments are appreciated. Thanx, c5havin.

The tire pressure sensors don't know a Goodyear from a Michelin from a Kumho, etc. etc. The TPS only know flat or not flat and in-between :D

As you will see from my previous posts, I bought the D3's after a good deal of research and love them. No noticable loss in handling vs the stock run flats. In fact, the car handles better in wet weather. No problems with the sensors once retrained...Good Luck...ICOMP

best bang for buc

OK, I need new tires my OEM are shot and I do not have lots of money since my kid started the University.

What is the best bang for the buc - and I want Run-Flat.

All responses - please.

P.S. I know if I own the elegant toy - money shouldn't be an option, BUT IT IS RIGTHT NOW.

I have several friends who are happy with the Kumho Ecsta MX XRP on their Corvettes. You can get into these for less than $1k. I have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP which I love. Some do not like the look. These are about $200-300 more than the Kumhos (for a set of four).

If you go non-runflat you can get down to about $500-600, but you take your chances!

Good luck.

I finally went with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP also. In my opinion I think these are the best bang for the buck (at least for run flats) if you are going to keep and drive your car. They are a little more money initally, but have a higher treadwear rating than less expensive run flats, and are known to give a good ride. I cannot tell the difference in ride quality between the Michelin A/S ZP's and my old non runflat Goodyears.

I put toyo proxis on my C5 Z06 and at around 700 delivered it was a great tire. Equal to the michelin pilot sports I and goodyear F1's ..IMO

Big surprise for me after two sets of goodyears and one set of michelins..

Toyo proxi from TD4L

Good luck. Great prices Great service.

OK, I need new tires my OEM are shot and I do not have lots of money since my kid started the University.

What is the best bang for the buc - and I want Run-Flat.

All responses - please.

P.S. I know if I own the elegant toy - money shouldn't be an option, BUT IT IS RIGTHT NOW.

If you go back through these threads you'll see that I was hung up on run flat vs non run flat. Hib gave me great insight into what would and wouldn't work. I went GS-D3 in the end and do not regret the decision. If you appreciate the performance that GM has engineered for you don't stress, just chuck down around $1200 (mounted). You won't regret the decision either. And I know about college costs with just having purchased a good portion of Purdue University (son on a six year plan). Boiler Up!

ICOMP

Wow! I can't believe this thread is still alive!!!!

Anyway, since my last post, I must retract my position on the Michelin run flats. I replaced my OEMs with them a few months ago and I must say that I love the ride and I even like the looks:L

this thread will never die, tires are a personal option

tires are a give and take, I have owned probably 30+ different tire sets as I have always owned at least 2 vettes and I accellerate fast, burnouts daily. anyway if you want the best all around tire I have ever seen, it is the Goodyear F1 DS3, groovey tread patch, awesome dry and wet traction, I live in vegas no snow here but 30 miles away snow 8 months of year on mount charleston, they handle as good as most tires will in the snow that size on a high torque rear wheel drive. Kumho and Toyo and all the cheap tires may give descent performance but never balance right, have flaws as quality control is not as good, so 1 in 6 tires may be nasty, but I would never drive my vettes in rain or snow unless I could help it and when I do, shifting into grandpa mode to protect my car, so snow is of no consequence to me, besides what percentage of your driving time will be dry? what wet? shame if over 10% to do that to a vette, so lets say min 90% why not have the best dry tire if your driving in 90% dry conditions? the d3 wears really well, is not too expensive and is quiet, I cant hear too much over my borla (85) and corsa pacecar on 2002 exhaust anyway, goodyear makes one of the best tires, sure the Michelins are very nice but are overpriced in my opinion, and BF Goodrich is also a nice tire, I think they have always run thinner for there contact patch, not all 285/40/18 are all the same width, maybe sidewall width but tread contact patch, the part that is always in contact with the road is a biggy to me anyway, another big plus of the goodyears..

tires are like girlfriends, its a love hate relationship, they cost allot ;LOL and wear out quickly when used hard :boogie, AND MOST OF ALL IT IS ALL DOWN TO PREFERENCE, FORD CHEVY MOPAR :bash, they all make good and bad and the debate will never end, in 30 different sets and brands of tires, fav's are the old gatorbacks, then the f1d3 tires both goodyears, the pilots are nice but wear out way too quick and cost too much?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom