Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The Ultimate Swirl Eliminator Guide

D

DetailingDude

Ok, ok, ok! I know I have explained the difference between surface scratches and swirls, but I had to use that term to get you to read this post. LOL

Many times the 'hand swirling' is from a few sources and the errors can build up into what many people call 'Swirls or Spiderwebbing". Here are some application tips to help you reduce their appearance:

Apply the surface protection (natural or synthetic) (I'll just call it wax in this post) in very thin layers.
One reason is that it will be quite easy to do a final buff. It also reduces waste as only a very small amount will bond with the surface anyway.

Use light dusting motions to buff off your wax.
It shouldn't be necessary to exert much of any force to buff off the surface protection. Just simple, light and somewhat quick "dusting" should do the trick. Also, follow the MFR's guidelines on how long to let the wax bond for.

ReApply the surface protection over hardened wax.
If for some reason you got called away and the wax has gotten very hard and more than a light dusting won't remove it simply massage more surface protection over top. The same suspending products that were in the now hardened matter can loosen the dried matter in a much safer way than exerting force.

Apply in a garage if possible.
There's plety of stuff floating around in the air that can land on your car that are so fine that you won't notice your buffing it into your paint. If you leave your car for an extended period of time with your surface protection on you car make sure that all necessary precautions are take to minimize/eliminate the threat of dirt or dust particles falling on your car.

Don't Karate Kid you 'Vette
The ol' "wax on wax off" Mr. Miagee (sp) taught has been one of the biggest culprits of those light surface blemishes. I've had many laughs at the Eagle1 ad on TV too. (If you are trying to remove/reduce the appearance of a scratch it will be necessary to use varying motions but we're talking about waxing here). One way to do this is to use up-and-down motions on the vertical surfaces and front-to-back on horizontal surfaces. Always make sure you apply it to give ample coverage to the panel you're working on.

Wipe the wax on with a sponge applicator if possible.
Simply because it is a soft smooth surface.

The final layer between your paint and the elements and it should be abrasive-free.
There should not be a reason to introduce an abrasive that is designed to remove blemishes unless you are actually trying to remove a scratch. Surface Prep after the clay bar is always a good idea but I suggest that you use the mildest product you can get away with to remove/hide blems. Many PreWax cleaners do this and it should stay in the PreWax step.

Apply multiple layers in one day.
Usually the first layer of wax can take a bit more effort to apply. However, each subsequent layer is generally easier than the first thus reducing the overall force exerted in the application.

I am sure others have their own tips to add to this.

We've covered towels and applicators and their care. I am too lazy to put that guide here right now so this is a place holder. :CAC

Excellent information. Thanks DetailingDude! I have stuck this thread up at the top of the Care and Detailing Forum. :D

My method is much easier...hire someone like the Detail Dude to do it. :beer

Excellent Advice

I agree. Hire a pro if you can. Of course, there's still no joy like spending time with your baby in the garage or out in the driveway on a saturday afternoon!!! But for results and time saving, hire a good pro. They know their business.

How about Klasse or Meguires Scratch?

3M also has a scratch/swirl remover.

Which product is the best for swirls?

I have heard a German polish called Menzerna Intensive is suppose to be real good now this polish is slightly abrasive whereas something like Z-5 from Zaino just fills up the swirls...Any ideas on best way to remove swirls by hand or best product?

...Any ideas on best way to remove swirls by hand or best product?[/QUOTE]

I realy would like to know the answer to this problem.....

I had my black Vette painted about 3 months ago and went out to wax it today[ for the first time] and found more than my share of swirles that I caused in the paint after I was done.....:mad
I need help bad.....the paint is PPG wet black....

Mike

Those are some nice cars you have there looks like it was taken at that time.

I_R_DA_ONE said:
...Any ideas on best way to remove swirls by hand or best product?

I realy would like to know the answer to this problem.....

I had my black Vette painted about 3 months ago and went out to wax it today[ for the first time] and found more than my share of swirles that I caused in the paint after I was done.....:mad
I need help bad.....the paint is PPG wet black....

Mike

[/QUOTE]
Swirls are usually from washing the car. We all do this because of what we use to wash the car with sponge etc or dirt gets on item you are using to wash car. A sheepskin Mitt or a microfiber towel will work wonders but you still have to be careful as if there is any dirt present you will end up with scratches n swirls. Ditto when you dry and polish the car use something like microfiber which is the latest thing that doesn't scratch paint. It is used for application, washing and drying.

BE careful:

You can overpolish a car and wear out the paint finish. It isn't the product but the motion of buffing off. Especially if you use alot of pressure strong arm it.
I have noticed this in 2 cars one new and one old. The more coats I put on The more I notice little dots are appearing in the paint.:ugh

why the little dots? i have two very small areas of my ruby red paint that these have appeared. you cannot feel them and they seem to be in the paint.anyone know why?

Ive actually had decent success by applying scratch/swirl remover via orbital buffer with the applicator pad. It has removed a lot of the bad scratches i had from a truck backing into my front bumper, and did a good job of hiding the bigger scratches that can only be fixed through repainting.

Im not sure if it can cause any damage, but i just dont have the hundreds needed to have a pro buff my car, so my buffer will have to do the trick for now.

After buffing my cars I go back with 3m swirl mark remover. It's best applied with a foam pad on a orbital sander. This is what I used when I worked at a body shop. This method worked extremly well on dark colored vehicles where swirl marks were present after buffing.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom