Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The Waiting, The Sweating: Air Conditioning Poll

How Long Do You Wait for AC?

• Total voters
Corvette
2006 'Evil Stealth Black' Roadster
We've all experienced a situation like this. I'm curious to hear how people handle it.

It's a late afternoon in the middle of summer. Whether your coming out of the mall after doing some shopping, or leaving work for the afternoon commute home, you open the door of the building and heat hits you in the face like a brick wall. The humidity makes it seem like your trying to breathe through a wet towel. You can already feel, after mere milliseconds spent in the 98-degree heat, the sweat beginning to form at your temples and around your neck.

Ah, but this is just the beginning of your afternoon adventure! You must now find your car in the midst of a vast asphalt sea. The heat radiating off the parking lot blacktop is making your feet feel like your some sort of Shaman walking on hot coals. You spot your Corvette right where you parked it a few hours ago- at the very farthest row of parking, so as to ensure no one would want to park next it. Well, they didn't. That plan worked. But the five minute walk you face to parking lot hinterland will now seem like an eternity in hell in this summer heat.

Finally- you have arrived at your Corvette. Your key fob button depressed, the driver's door has now unlocked. You climb into the leather seat- God help you if you're wearing shorts, those 3rd degree burns on the backs of your legs you've just given yourself will take some time to heal. You close the door, you fire up the engine. The interior of car is easily 25 degrees hotter than the outside, and you are sweltering! Your clothes are now sticking to your body.

So, how long do you wait to turn on the AC? You've only just started the engine- do you give it any chance to warm up? Or do you risk the possibility of a few seconds of hot, dry air being blown onto you until the AC system adjusts itself and starts blowing cold air? If you wait, how long do you wait, and what's your rationale for why you delay turning the AC on? Or do you simply try to be Andre-tough, and roll the window down, scoffing at those who insist on using the AC?

Welcome to summer folks- It's the AC Poll. :)

-Patrick

I voted to wait 30 seconds. Just enough time to get the engine greased up and ready to go. I also make sure to set the A/C to recirculate the cabin air so it runs high and pulls out that stale, humid air. After a couple of minutes I reset it to pull in fresh air. Even though it's the only true color (black) it only takes a few minutes to cool her off.

Back in the old days when I ws a young spud and factory air was for the rich, on really hot days we would close the windows and turn the heat on TORRID. Drive around like that for a few minutes until you can't stand it anymore. Then, when you open the windows again, you feel like you have A/C.
After doing that for a while, you save your money and buy a used car with air. Gee, maybe my life is better than it was at 18!;LOL

On my way to the mall I would have had the AC on so when I restart the car it is still on. There is NO purpose to wait ??? At the most I will drive a short distance with the windows open just to get the super heated air out.

No waiting!

I don't wait. The A/C goes on immediately, but I keep the fan on low until it is blowing cold air, then it's up to max. The only thing, is it doesn't seem to do much good when the top is down anyway:D

When I had the 76 Stingray my air conditioning was taking the T-tops off. Might get a little sun burnt on your head but it still felt great cruising. Now in the LT-1 Camaro I always start my car with all the heating and air systems in the off position. That is a big engine with lots of things to turn on and work together right away, why give it a few more things to try and start right away? So I put the windows down until I am at a good cruising speed and then turn on what I want.

No waiting

Don't you think GM would of designed in a time delay circuit if it was necessary to wait.;) :L :eyerole

What is it, 85-90 degrees in Parker, Co. today ??? Puhleeeeezzzzz!!!!!

;LOL

I didn't think you guys in Colorado even HAD a/c!

KOPBET said:
What is it, 85-90 degrees in Parker, Co. today ??? Puhleeeeezzzzz!!!!!

;LOL

I didn't think you guys in Colorado even HAD a/c!

Kevin.... SHHHHH!!!!!
That's supposed to be a secret. If everyone knew, everyone would want to move here. That would be bad. :W

Now, you didn't answer the question. In that sticky, oppressive Tornado-alley heat you get in OKC, how long after you get into your Corvette and fire up the engine do you wait before you turn on the AC?
;shrug

:w
-Patrick

I don't drive the Vett on super hot days. If its to hot to drive with the top down I leave her at home. Besides the A/C in the DD works fantastic, its blowing COLD air before I even giter' out of the parkin lot.

When I lived in Phoenix, always set it down to 1 or 2 before getting out of the car. That way, it'd fire up with the motor. Once the air goes slightly below blow-dryer temp, it was up to high. Even 100 degree air feels good on a 115 degree day. :eek

Now that I'm up in Flagstaff, I've only used it a couple of times. It's much better just to drop the top and let all the heat out at once. Besides, it's usually back down into the 70s by the time I leave work now that monsoons are here. We don't even hae A/C in the house!

Patrick said:
Kevin.... SHHHHH!!!!!
That's supposed to be a secret. If everyone knew, everyone would want to move here. That would be bad. :W

Now, you didn't answer the question. In that sticky, oppressive Tornado-alley heat you get in OKC, how long after you get into your Corvette and fire up the engine do you wait before you turn on the AC?
;shrug

:w
-Patrick

When I get in my car this afternoon, the thermometer in the vent will have been pegged at 160 degrees and the A/C will be on as soon as the fingers get off the ignition switch!!!

Today
105°
HOT & HUMID!
Winds: S 5-15

Tomorrow
106°
Late Day Storm?
Precip: 20% Late
Winds: S 5-10

And that's TUL not OKC! :L

GO Lumberjacks!!! Thats where I went to school.

AZMike said:
When I lived in Phoenix, always set it down to 1 or 2 before getting out of the car. That way, it'd fire up with the motor. Once the air goes slightly below blow-dryer temp, it was up to high. Even 100 degree air feels good on a 115 degree day. :eek

Now that I'm up in Flagstaff, I've only used it a couple of times. It's much better just to drop the top and let all the heat out at once. Besides, it's usually back down into the 70s by the time I leave work now that monsoons are here. We don't even hae A/C in the house!

Hit unlock 3 times on the way across the lot. Windows drop, music on. Window Valet!! Jump in, key on, belt on, crank, AC in Auto @ 68. 50 feet later, cool air headed for cold. Even at 110 OAT. Waiting does what, exactly??? Other than something similar to windows up/heat up 'till you puke.

I put the top down while the A/C cools down. It's the height of hedonism (my middle name). :_rock

Not to diminish your discomfort, Patrick - but here in the Valley of the Sun....today it's going to be 115F. Inside the car, it's about 50 degrees hotter than that! so in answer to your question, at least in Phoenix - the A/C goes on before you start the engine!

Also - contrary to common belief, July August and September are not a dry heat here! I know it doesn't compare humidity wise to places in the midwest and the deep south, but our humidity is in the 30% - 40% range (and higher early in the day), plus 110+ heat.

This morning, BTW - on the way in at 6:15 a.m. - the temp was 95 degrees!:ugh

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom