Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The Whole Enchalada!!!

H

Hijinx

Well, dropped the Vette off this afternoon to have all that wonderful brake work done. Having them replace everything except the power booster. Got the VBP Plus kit, new slotted rotors and all new lines.

Anyhow, I decided to have them go the extra step and referb the trailing arms as well. After much thought about the Gulstrand 5 link I decided that for what I am doing the stock setup should be fine. I should know by Friday how much financial damage this will cause. I know its gonna be harsh!

I started thinking that since I plan on dropping a 385 Fast Burn some time this year, I should have this part done first. The main issue I am concerned about is whether or not they can reuse my T-Arms. If not, I think I am going to the off-set arms. They are actually cheaper and will let me run bigger rubber in the rear.

Say a prayer for me. I may need it when the wife finds out how much this will all cost.

Hijinx said:
Say a prayer for me. I may need it when the wife finds out how much this will all cost.

Been there, done that:D! I wish you the best....and a comfy doghouse:L.

- Eric:w

Well, found out today that my T-Arms and stub axles are too rusted to rebuild. Soooooo, went for the new off-set trailing arms (to save some cash) on the rebuild.

Now I guess I will have my back tires inset 2 inches or so and need to consider what to do with the rear tires. Help me out here guys. I'm running 255/60R15's all around. What should I be able to run with the off-set trailing arms? Will I need to go to a different rim to move it out some? I think the stock rims are 15x8. Could I get by with a set of reproduction ralley rims in 15x10 and a set of 295/50R15's

The 225/60's are 27.1" tall and 10.2" wide.
The 295/50's are 26.7" tall and 12.2" wide.

What is the prevailing experience?

Hijinx, Do you 255's rub inside the well in a sharp turn. If not do you know why? My 75 rubs on both sides, right for right turn and left for left turn.

Go with the same size I have on the front on the way around

275/35/18 on a 5" back space and a 10" rim.

I think the Vist or twisted vista at www.hvydeez.com would look great on your car.

Holy, Crap, Chris.....18's! Man, I think I'll stick with the 15's. I love the look on your's, but I dont think they will stuff under my stock side pannels.

Wicky,
At full turn my 255's rub slightly on the rear side frame rail. But I have to be at full crank for them to do that. It has not caused a problem yet.

Hijinx said:
Holy, Crap, Chris.....18's! Man, I think I'll stick with the 15's. I love the look on your's, but I dont think they will stuff under my stock side pannels.

:L They would fit, and look sooooooooo sweeeeeet. You know a lot of fellows are starting to run the C5 wheels on the C3 with the adapters. They are right at 10" wide.

They are all pretty expensive, but it pleases me to see the prices continuing to come down on the big diameter rims. That is one thing we can thank our ricer friends for.

As far as VB&P stuff goes. For the most part I am happy with them. If you saw on my drive your corvette to work day post, my rear spring cracked yesterday. That really ticks me off. I have had to leave the car across town locked up in an inspection facility.

The good news is, VB&P responded very quick to my concern. They are sending me another spring overnight express delivery. If all goes well, it will be here in a few hours and I can go put it on the car and bring it home.

Believe it or not, I have the VB&P complete brakes, but I don't have the vented slotted, super Nascar racing style.

On the rear trailing arms, the offset design is nice, and heavy duty, but it won't really let you squeeze 2" more rim in there. You can get mayby 1.5 more rim tops.

Good luck.

So, Chris, do you think I could stuff the 295/50's on the stock rim and make it all fit? What have you heard in relation to the stock rims on off-set arms and tires?

That sucks about your rear leaf, however, its not the first time I have heard of one breaking. Makes me kinda nervous.

And, Chris, you dont think I could get a 10" stock style rim under there? I can get them from Jegs with a 5" backspacing for $69 each.

You could do a 10" rim on a 5" back space. It will be close, but should fit. Here is how you test it. Pull off a wheel. Put a nice straight edge on the hub. get a good straight stick about 11" long, measure off at 5" with mark. Put it horizontal in the wheel well against the other straight edge that you put vertical on the hub at the 5" mark. Now you can visually see where the new wheel will sit in the opening.

Thanks, Chris. I had always wondered what the right way to measure this would be. I really appreciate it.

Went by yesterday to visit my baby at the shop. They had to cut the old T-arms out. Yes, they were that rusted!:eek

Very glad now that I did not try it on my own. The new off-set arms and stub axles were supposed to be in yesterday later in the afternoon. I hope to get her back on Friday, possibly.

The new calipers and lines look good but all the rust on the underside looks bad!! I hate cancer! Guess I will try to do some clean up moving forward on all the rusted stuff.

I hope to get some pictures and post everything somewhere. Back soon.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom