Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The wipers on my "80 just stopped working!

yello80vette

Corvette
1980 Frost Beige Corvette
;shrug HELP!!! I took my 1980 out on a rainy day. When I turned on the wiper switch... nothing.
Since I'd just installed a new radio, I checked the fuse first.
Fuse was fine. Connections to the switch? Looked OK. All wires are connected tight under the hood.
I read that there might be a relay inside of the wiper motor itself. Does anyone know if this is true and if so, is it possible for this to be the problem and can this relay be replaced?

Or... does anyone have any other ideas what could cause the wipers to just not work when they've always worked just fine?

I have the same problem on my 1980.
It has been for me a bad grounding issue, they run the wiper ground piggy backed to the headlight ground and who knows what else.
when they stop working wiggle the plug on the wiper motor particularly the on wire closest to the bottom and if they start working again you found the problem. to fix mine i spliced into that wire and jumpered a new ground to frame.

A good Voltmeter is your best friend when it comes to tracking down electrical problems. You can get one pretty cheap at Radio Shack, Wal-Mart, Etc..
Once you have one, you can check to see where you have power to the various switches and components.
Remember to always use the frame as your reference ground when probing the power circuits.
Start at the fusebox, work your way to the dash switch, then on to the motor itself. Wherever you find the power goes in, but stops after that, there's your bad component.
Or start at the motor and find out if you have power to it, and if not, work backwards through the switches until you find the problem.

Yes, the motor has switch contacts inside enable intermittant mode and to return it to the park position after you turn it off.
The motor brushes may be worn out.
But you need to find out if you have power to the motor first, then proceed with the appropriate repairs. And make sure there's a good ground from the motor to the frame.
A systematic approach is always the best and least time consuming method to troubleshooting.

I have never been afraid to pull the motor apart to diagnose internal problems, but if you don't know how to do it, it will be a pile of parts in a matter of minutes.

My 81 has the delay function, if your does, check the delay control unit; mine is located behind the passenger seat in the jack storage compartment, remove the storage tray, it is on the forward bulkhead, the one nearest the door if it is like my 81. My controller mtg broke loose and the unit fell down against the jack and short out, i.e., no wiper or intermitent operation.
Hope helps:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom