Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Thermostat Picture

vms4evr

Corvette
2002 Flat Black Z06
Hey gang,
Does anyone have a picture of the thermostat for an LT1? I know it is different from a conventional thermostat. So what does it look like? I went to Autozone and they said I can get a 180deg stat for my car. They call it medium temp vs the factory 195deg stat. Their price was around $10. I see all these 160deg stats from Hypertech and the like going for over $20+shipping. I just want to go to 180deg.
If anyone has a part number from GM or the like that would help. I'm sure some LT1 came with 180deg, like maybe Camaros?
Thanks, Graham

Is there a secret society that trades in thermostat pictures? Do you have meetings and things like that? Do you slaver over the images and think obscene thoughts? :L

Sorry Graham, I couldn't help it. This is the second post I saw and responded to in the past five minutes that asked for pictures of thermostat housings; the other was for an '84. :L

Did you ever get your picture by the way? ;)

_ken :w

The 92 came with a 180 stat,as far as the stat looks,it looks like a reg stat but it has a gasket around the base of the tstat, I have the 160 hypertech,got it through checker auto for 18.77 it came to the store in 2 days no shipping charged. good luck

ken

that was funny .... no actully I need the picture because with serpentine belt drive on my car only upper radiator hose I could find to fit is a 84 vette and its thermostat housing must be different than my 82's, and Im wondering if it will fit my cfi intake and still make the hose clear my alternator

Topless,

Try the flex cool lines. I just bought one for my upper on the 69. They come in different lengths 2', 3', etc. They even have matching heater hoses.

It is flexible stainless steel with nice covers for each end. It comes with different sleeves so it will fit a variety of engines/radiators. You bend it how you want, then cut it with a hacksaw.

About $60, and it looks cool.

Here is the link

Coo Flex

Incase anyone wants a picture that shows how the stat looks from the bottom here it is. You can see the 2 sections that makes it different from conventional thermostats.
Also just as a note. If you ever want to flush your system and don't want to wait for the car to get to 180+ deg before the the thermostat opens and starts the juices flowing. Well, pull the thermostat, take the rubber gasket off and put the gasket back in the hole and tighten the jacket back down. It'll take all of 5 mins. You now have your whole cooling system flowing the minute the car starts. Helped with my flush. Just pay attention to how the gasket goes on the thermostat. The fatter part goes on top. I just used the extra one from my leftover thermostat.
Graham

For some reason, the aftermarked thermostats (160 degree) don't have the bottom part... or at least mine doesn't... anyone know why? I just assume it isn't really necessary and it flows better without it

I just got a 160 stat from Ed Wright with my chip. It looks just like the picture. I believe the pic I got is from Hypertech or SLP.
Graham

vms4evr - Can you tell me about your chip? I am looking at the Ed Wright chips myself, but must admit that I know very little about them and what they are/are not capable of. Thanks.

Ken,
I'm all set on the pics and have a real one sitting on the shelf. So I'm quite familiar with how they look now. And yes there is a secret society passing around thermostat pics, and no you can't join :t ;)

DropTop,
The Ed Wright chip is working well. I haven't noticed any SOTP improvement. I don't drag race so I could compare times to tell you on that end. What I have noticed is it smoothes out the acceleration and idle. It bumps up the rev limiter and on the auto trans cars he makes some adjustments for the spark retard w/ASR and some other tweeks. Main thing is cooling fans kick on at 180 and off at 170. Car still runs up into the 180s in 90+deg weather we've been having. Oil temp get into the 200s so no problem with oil not getting hot enough to burn off the contaminents. Ed says about 10-14hp at the wheels. It may be in there somewhere but I can't feel it. Maybe my SOTP gauge needs to be recalibrated...:L
graham

Does this help?

551513%20%20THERMOSTAT%20ZR1-T.jpg

tom...

Thanks Tom. I'm all set now. My collection is complete. Just don't tell Ken or he'll wantsome too! :L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom