Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

things to looking for specifcally with a 78 L-82 coupe

vetteKID

Corvette
74 L-48 coupe & 85 454 coupe
i found a very nice coupe and i was wondering what i need to look for when buying it. Any problems specific to the 78 vettes? this is my first vette and i dont want to be taken. does anyone have a picture of a 78 L-82? he says it rebuilt but has no reciets, how can i tell? :confused

Rust -- in the lower radiator mounts, the frame, and especially where the rear trailing arms meet the frames.

Engine -- ask if you can take the car to a mechanic for a compression test.

Brakes -- check for leaking calipers.

Front end/steering -- check for loose/worn components, and excessive play in steering.

Electrical -- does everything work?

That'll get you started...

Got one!

We have had our '78 for over 13 years, and she has been a daily driver for all of her time with us.

I firmly believe that if you let a vehicle sit, it will pine away and slowly die. With that said, I am leary of low mileage older cars without receipts to prove what has been done!

Page has started you out right, at the top of this page (in one tab or another) is a checklist for buying a vette. I suggest finding it, printing it out and reading it. It is VERY thorough!

I don't know of any 78 specific problems, just be aware that the 78s are almost 25 years old, and that is a lot of time...time sitting or time being taken care of. I'd certainly advise buying the BEST 'vette you can afford. When things go wrong on these babies, it's usually a pretty penny for repairs, unless you have a mechanic friend or can do most of the work yourself.

Good luck!
Heidi

I have owned my 78 for 3 years now. I can't say I have heard of any "specific" complaint with regards to this year. I have had to replace all of the normal wear items, plus the differential, rear spring and all of the bushings on the car. I have a mere 45,000 miles on the car. Also look at the weatherstripping for wear and cracking.

Thats all I can think of. A true Vette mechanic would be a good person to look over the car first though.

Scott :w

Chris,

Welcome aboard. I don't know where Glenwood is but if it's not too awfully far, I'd be happy to drive up and look at it with you just to put a second set of eyes on it. That way you'll get the opinion of a disinterested party who's eyes aren't popping out of his head at the prospect of buying a Vette. If you might be interested, just send me a private message or email.

well found out it isnt an L-82, just a build L-48. :( its in good enough shape that im going to try and buy it anyway (just for less money). thanks for the offer 71 shark, i have had pretty much every car guy i know look at the car and give it atleast one thumb up, but agian i thank you.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom