Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 thinking of buying '96 lt-4. couple of questions from new member.

1996 LT4 Topic
winter

Youre lucky to be where the weather stays nice most of the time. I'm dreading winter and snow that will force me to keep my car parked more. I dont drive it alot now since there are 3 of us most of the time. I love to hear the exhaust and feel the power when I step on the gas. Just need to watch out for the blue and gray crown vics on the hwy

Youre lucky to be where the weather stays nice most of the time.

You are lucky to be able to drive, and drive you should. You have the start of a wonderful find, and it sounds like Ray is doing a great job...
Enjoy a wonderful ride....
:happyanim:

just got LT4

:cool!: Hey guys this is my first post on this site. I have been reading a few posts and this isa good place to be.I was on a Crossfire site for nine years while I had my 84 it was good also. I just got an LT4 in Sept then went to Fla. Came to Ct for Holidays with kids and drove around now for about four weeks, this car is unreal. It has twice the HP of my 84. I did read that G M under rated the H P on this car, I have not pushed the traction control button yet but very tempted. I think I will wait till summer in a nice big parking lot. I toook the mifflers off and put the eliminators on wow loud and much more power. I also added the 1st to 4th bypass like a whole different car. And hiway driving 65 about 1000 1100 rpms I saw that and figured I can do better pulled into 4th and nailed it like all four wheels jumped. had 110 and quit hands were sweating My choice get the LT4 I paid $10,000 Torch Red Gray intrior two tops Red and Blue glass with 44,000 miles from Texas:beer

Thanks

:)thanks glad to be here. You guys have a nice site. I am also on C4Vette Regestry it is good too:beer

Welcome to the CAC!!! :happyanim:

I've driven both LT1 (also an automatic) and LT4 equipped Corvettes, and I think the real issue with this is that it's harder to objectively compare the automatic vs. the manual than it is an LT1 vs. an LT4. I'm biased, because imo, the manual is always better. But that's really just a matter of opinion. I prefer to do the shifting myself, because I feel I get better power and performance that way.

Also, keep in mind that the LT4 is rated 30 horses higher than the LT1. Many believe the LT4 to have been under-rated in terms of horsepower by Chevy at the time it was introduced, so as not to have a base model engine in the last model year C4 have more HP than the next model year's base C5. The LS1 was rated at 345 horsepower, I believe, for the 1997 model year. In other words, a marketing decision. You can google horsepower for the LT4 and see a lot of info (dyno's) to support this position.

With that in mind, I would even recommend a manual LT1 vs. an automatic LT1. So, if all other considerations were equal between an LT1 automatic and an LT4, I would obviously recommend the LT4. I am baised, but I think it's based on experience of ownership! Trust me, you will be pleased with the LT4's perforanmance! :Steer

If you're worried about this particular LT4's mileage, then you could probably hold off and find another LT4 with less miles, at a reasonable price. It's a buyer's market right now. There's a red LT4 coupe advertised around here (SF bay area) on craigslist for $11.5K, and it's been available for a while. I'd be willing to bet the owner would take less than the asking price.

An LT4 certainly can deliver the goods while painted red... it doesn't have to be a Collector Edition, although imo, SILVER is the best color for a Corvette! :beer

Good luck, and don't forget to
:w Save the Wave :w

However as I am sure you are aware if iracvetmac is looking for a 96 he cant get a manual on an LT1, only the LT4 came with ZF manual that yeqr.

Cheers :beer

A goofy question?

As I draw up to the 1 year anniversary of the purchase of my Polo Green LT 4 I have a goofy question to ask. Why are some LT4s badged and others are not. My coupe has the LT4 badge on the rear bumper and it's the only way anyone would know it's anything special until you open the hood. I have seen a number of LT4s advertised since I bought my car and they did not have the badge on the bumper. I realize some may have been wrecked and the badge wasn't replaced. But, when the cars were built, was it a whim of the production line people? Did they run out of badges later in the run and just skip it? Is this a question that really doesn't have an answer? It's possible.

As to LT1 vs LT4...for a few extra $$ to purchase an LT4 you get a one year only model that has the opportunity to hold or gain value compared to the base model cars. My car had 100k miles on it and I've had to spend some $$ to do the 100K service (replacing plugs & plug wires was surprising expensive - plus you can't get stock wires any longer) but that was expected. I absolutely love the car. Any excuse to take it out works for me. Driving at COSTCO is one of my favorite excuses, plus it's a great hauler - lots of room back there. I still have a couple of projects to complete but I am totally satisfied. They aren't that easy to find but well worth the search! :thumb

Badges

The LT4 badge on the cars was probably purchased extra by the owners. The metal badges are about $100.00 from mid america corvete etc.

The "LT4" equipped Vettes had no LT4 emblem of any kind on any part of the car.

All LT4 engines came with the "Grand Sport" throttle body plate. This fact has been a bone of contention for some Grand Sport owners. :crazy

Any LT4 emblem you see was purchased by the owner. See my avatar.

No one makes the LT4 emblems anymore. Back in the day, you could purchase the emblem in several different color variations. I always thought this would be a great product to produce.

Sometimes you can find LT4 decals, but the decals really do not do it for me.

While driving your LT4 Vette, please be sure to SAVE the WAVE! :w

There are still metal LT4 emblems out but they are about $100 each I havent seen decals anywhere

There are still metal LT4 emblems out but they are about $100 each I havent seen decals anywhere

I would prefer one with a bowtie, like LT4man has on his Vette. When I find one, I'll put it on the right rear quarter.

LT4man_avatar8960_1.jpg

I think you're referring to the Z06-styled emblems, like below? I've seen them for anywhere from $85 to $115, and I'm just not interested.

LT4_Billet_Emblem.jpg

4.jpg

So, you all think this was added by the original owner? Not at all what I expected to hear.
Anyway...this is the LT4 badge I questioned. My car, here, is in the Cars & Coffee Show held on the 3rd Saturday of each month from 7 - 9 AM @ DuPont Register offices - St Petersburg, FL...a great, fun show.

View attachment 12337

So, you all think this was added by the original owner? Not at all what I expected to hear.
Anyway...this is the LT4 badge I questioned. My car, here, is in the Cars & Coffee Show held on the 3rd Saturday of each month from 7 - 9 AM @ DuPont Register offices - St Petersburg, FL...a great, fun show.

Yes, I believe so. As far as I know, there was no LT4 emblem or badge produced or added by Chevrolet to any LT4 equipped '96 Corvette.

btw, nice looking Vette!

Last edited:
There was no LT4 badge produced by GM or Chevrolet at any time.

Visit your friendly neighborhood Chevy dealer and ask the parts counter person to look up a part number. They do not exist.

These emblems were available for a little while from aftermarket sources.

My Vette has an emblem on the bumper along with one on each side as seen in my avatar.

1996CorvetteBowlingGreen6-19-12-1.jpg

LT4mans1996CollectorEditionCorvette2.jpg

LT4mans1996CollectorEditionCorvette.jpg

While driving your Vette with an LT4 emblem, please be sure to SAVE the WAVE! :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom