Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

thinking WAY ahead...options for C1 instrument cluster????

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
As I go through various things for the '60, I don't have a vision of what I will do for the instrument cluster in the car. Since this is far from being NCRS I am not worried about that, but rather how the dash and various gages look.

I have looked at the digital readout gages and such, and they haven't really caught my eye.....what have other people done and where did you get the parts or the service?

photos and details would be appreciated!!!!!

I used to have a pictured stored away of Rich L car. He was using a stock cluster but with after market gages init, Drop him an email and I am sure he will post a photo.

I also recently saw (I dont remeber where maybe on an ebay cars sale or I think it may have been the yellow car at carlilse in Billy Dawsons display) a custom speedometer with the same emblem John McGraw has on his gage package. That was a cool set up .

Larry,
That was one of Billy's cars with the Classic Instruments Spedo in. I looked at having Classic build me one of those a couple of years ago, and they wanted $2500 for one of them! I love Classic guages, but not that much!

Regards, John McGraw

John Mcgraw said:
Larry,
That was one of Billy's cars with the Classic Instruments Spedo in. I looked at having Classic build me one of those a couple of years ago, and they wanted $2500 for one of them! I love Classic guages, but not that much!

Regards, John McGraw
yikes.....like I said in some other post.....buring $100 bills as fast as I can......I think I am understanding the real issue with people not finishing their cars...it has nothing to do with loosing interest.....they run flat out of money.....

John Mcgraw said:
Larry,

Regards, John McGraw
John do you have a picture of that cluster for herb

firstgear said:
yikes.....like I said in some other post.....buring $100 bills as fast as I can......I think I am understanding the real issue with people not finishing their cars...it has nothing to do with loosing interest.....they run flat out of money.....

Herb I have to tell you I feel this is the importance of planning. As you may know I was collecting parts for my 62 before i even owned the frame or the body.As a matter of fact i was saving money to purchase the car and parts long before i even had a lead on the car.

Had I not started collecting parts for the car so early I never could have afforded to build the car in one year.

Part of the planning I do is actally wright a budget for the build and try to stick to it

IH2LOSE said:
John do you have a picture of that cluster for herb
John also, I was at your web site and only found one photo of your dash....do you have a couple of more photos I could look at as well as who made the instruments in your dash?

thanks, Herb

I just did my 60 cluster. I always like the stock look,so I used S|W gauges and installed them from the rear. I removed the bezels on the gauges and resized them so they would fit in the stock housing. Very simple and looks stock. Some have made a whole new cluster but I myself don't like the street rod look. I even went as far as to make the stock auto. shifter work with the 700 R. It will take some time to get used to the shift pattern being backwards. Brian G

vette said:
I just did my 60 cluster. I always like the stock look,so I used S|W gauges and installed them from the rear. I removed the bezels on the gauges and resized them so they would fit in the stock housing. Very simple and looks stock. Some have made a whole new cluster but I myself don't like the street rod look. I even went as far as to make the stock auto. shifter work with the 700 R. It will take some time to get used to the shift pattern being backwards. Brian G
Brian....do you have any photos of your cluster? If you can't post them, email them to me at htmiata99@aol.com and I will post them....

thanks, Herb

The stock look is as good as it gets in my opinion, like jewelry! Outside of the tach, how critical is it to be dead nuts accurate on any of the other gauges? Send it to Corvette Specialties of Maryland and have them check and rebuild as necessary and you'll be a happy man! They do great paint work too. :beer

Vette66AirCoupe said:
The stock look is as good as it gets in my opinion, like jewelry! Outside of the tach, how critical is it to be dead nuts accurate on any of the other gauges? Send it to Corvette Specialties of Maryland and have them check and rebuild as necessary and you'll be a happy man! They do great paint work too. :beer
a work of art for sure.....

I can remember the first Corvette that I ever rode in - a 59 fuelie. In my opinion, the big speedometer adds just the finishing touch to the classic look of the car. Here is a picture of my cluster (as yet unpainted) with Autometer gauges.
09100504.jpg

09100504.jpg

cbernhardt said:
I can remember the first Corvette that I ever rode in - a 59 fuelie. In my opinion, the big speedometer adds just the finishing touch to the classic look of the car. Here is a picture of my cluster (as yet unpainted) with Autometer gauges.
09100504.jpg

09100504.jpg
where did you get the BIG speedometer at? who makes that or is it a stock one that you redid or??????

firstgear said:
where did you get the BIG speedometer at? who makes that or is it a stock one that you redid or??????
It is a stock speedometer that I painted white. For the black lettering I first attempted to remove the white paint from an old lens, but I found that it was almost impossible to remove ALL of the old paint. At Carlisle last year I found a vendor that would paint your old speedometer white for $350 but that seemed rather steep to me. I ordered a new lens with NO paint from Trim Parts and painted the letters black. I just used a rattle can to paint the white face and red needle.
Charles

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom