Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Third Brakelight Bulb Replacement- Wow

G

Goodnt

Wow or should I say how? Can anyone offer advise on how to best replace the third brakelight bulb (in an 88 convertible)? Without ripping your arm or the bumper off?
Took the gas filler door and seal off. License plate off. You can't see anything and as I reach in and feel, it feels as if there are two bolts/nuts holding the brakelight enclosure in place. Can't figure how I would get those nuts off and back on by feel only.

Any help would be much appreciated. Since the regular brakelights work, I haven't been in a hurry to replace the third bulb, but would like to avoid someone plowing into my a--! Thanks much!

Reach in , take ahold of the socket and twist it counter clockwise. I should come right out. Shouldn't be any need to remove the bolts.

Glenn
:w

G Winter said:
Reach in , take ahold of the socket and twist it counter clockwise. I should come right out. Shouldn't be any need to remove the bolts.

Glenn
:w

the insides aren't that bad it's the outsides that are a PITA! i went up from underneath the bumper pushing it out as much as possilbe to get my arm up there. Granted i'm not a big dude so it was easier.

Through the gas filler opening, with skinny arms, it took me 2 hours to remove and replace the bulbs. I could only get an open-end wrench on the housing nuts and it was very slow going to get them off. Putting it all back together was much faster than the removal.
CHANGE ALL 3 BULBS. You do not want to do this again real soon.
Joe

Silveradojoe said:
Through the gas filler opening, with skinny arms, it took me 2 hours to remove and replace the bulbs. I could only get an open-end wrench on the housing nuts and it was very slow going to get them off. Putting it all back together was much faster than the removal.
CHANGE ALL 3 BULBS. You do not want to do this again real soon.
Joe

Thanks! No one else mentioned it, but apparently the two nuts on the housing do have to be removed to access the bulbs. I was hoping there was another way because getting to those nuts simply by feel will be a real pain.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom