Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

This 86 vert would be a good investment

vetteboy86

Corvette
1986 Black "Indy 500 Pace car replica"
not real sure on this since i couldn't check out the auction, but a high mileage C4 wouldn't command alot of money in return, but are still cool nice vettes to own for the money. BUT unless you can go look at the car i would think twice before bidding. when your buying a car this old you need to test drive and even take it some were to be lookied at, unless you know a little some thing about cars? you can't tell how a car runs by a picture. i just picked up a 1986 near by, no auction, test drove it 3 times to make sure, and i still had to put another $500 to $600 in to it for a running car, and i am still not done?? they can be money pits, since 1. your buying a old car, 2. some people let things go to long or just live with the problem. some times a fixer upper can get you in deeper then one already to run. just my 2 cents. i did the fixer upper deal with a 76 vette about 6 years ago and man it was no end in site?? but then i had to have another one later on in life so i have been looking for a deal evr since??

I like the color of that.

It's a nice car and everything, but a car is a terrible investment. It will cost money just sitting in the garage because you have to insure it. And if you drive it, a host of things will need replacing on a regular basis. If you want to invest your money, put it in mutual funds. I do agree, however, that a Corvette convertible will always have an intrinsic value.

The only guaranteed return on your investment a C4 will deliver is the happiness it may give you driving it. As far as money goes, this C4 will not increase in value. Just buy it if you like it and drive and have fun with it. Investing is for real estate, stocks, bonds, and other very boring issues. Corvettes are for fun!

Just my 2 cents.

The 86 verts, and the yellow ones even more so will have a better return in the future then any of the mid to late 80's C4's. This doens't include the challenge cars of 88, or possibly the 35th anniversary vettes. The next C4 that will have a pretty good return in the future is obviously the ZR-1.

I think if you buy a vette that is already appreciating in value, then that is a good investment for your time and money. All the values will do is go up. Dont we all wish we could go back to the 50's and 60's and buy a dozen vettes. When I think of an investment, I think of something that you cant loose money on.

I think it'll be many years and it'll take a lot of C4's to be extinct before that car becomes a good investment. Cars just aren't very good investments, like Tyrel said earlier.

I think cars are better investments then most things out there. Where else do you get to play with your money and enjoy it. My grandfather lost alot of money in the stock market. If he would have bought a few early 70's vettes and kept them for a few years then sold, he would have had a better return on his money, and it would have been a safer investment.

In my defense, I know everyone is entitled to there own opinion, if someone were to buy this car for 6 grand, and take car of it, drive it occasionally, you are telling me they couldn't sell it for at least that if not more. Sure the market for C4's are not the greatest, but according to corvette magazine the 84 and 85 has hardly moved, while the early 90's models still fall.

"Unlike searching for a vintage corvette, shopping for a C4 has more to do with common sense than collector driven prognostication. There are a few exceptions of course. Whatever their current trends in the long run special models(ZR1's, 86 convertibles, 96 collector editions and grand sports) carry more theoretical investment potential then run of the mill bangers."(Corvette magazine july issue)
According to their pricing guide in decent shape the 86 vert is worth around $8400, plus add $1500 for the yellow.

I just discussed the thing about the old muslce cars with a neighbor the other day. The thing is, no one back then thought the cars would be worth what they are today.

Okay, you buy that car for 6 grand. Factor in the cost to get it running to where you want it to run, all the maintenance, gas, insurance and inflation and I don't think you get anything back.

Unless the Corvette is damaged beyond repair, they will always have a few thousand dollars as salvage value (I guess that's the only way I know how to put it from my accounting day :L )

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom