Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Thoughts about exhaust pipe wrap

V

VETTE1973

Just wondering if it is a good thing to wrap the exhaust pipes from the manifold back past the seating area to help cut down on heat in and around the interior. Wife and I are planning a trip to Florida later this year and this will be first trip in a Vette, I bought it last year and it has new exhaust but we get alot of heat in town. I don't want to roast in the citys on the way down. Please give me your thoughts. Thanks

My opinion.....

Heat will win eventually regardless of what you try and do.( kind of like water and a basement wall:bash) .
I dont have an opinion on the function of the wrap, I have to believe it must help somewhat, but I also feel it would look odd... but it is what matters to you.
I have added under layment in my interior to help battle the heat while I put in fresh carpet and it does help block heat for a bit longer than it did without, but the heat eventually catches up and i am back where I started. However I did reap an added benefit of the under layment as a sound barrier that makes it much quieter in my vette. I have headers with Flowmasters on them with factory tips and it sounds great, but made it hard to have a conversation at anything over 50 mph. Now its a perfect blend of interior music (and that don't include the radio!)
So you have the option, have a blast on your trip:thumb

PS....My wife has a small cooler for our water and she has a rag she keeps in there for cooling down her legs on a long trip.:w

Chas

Is the insulation still up in the tunel? It's a formed piece of foam with foil on it and a front seal. If it's missing the only way to replace is drop the trany.

Just make sure you don't have any oil leaks. Oil soaked exhaust wrap makes a fire hazard. I've seen it happen twice at the track over the years.

Just wondering if it is a good thing to wrap the exhaust pipes from the manifold back past the seating area to help cut down on heat in and around the interior. Wife and I are planning a trip to Florida later this year and this will be first trip in a Vette, I bought it last year and it has new exhaust but we get alot of heat in town. I don't want to roast in the citys on the way down. Please give me your thoughts. Thanks

With my 71 BB Coupe, that's exactly what I did to my exhaust system. I used Design Engineering exhaust wrap from the header collectors back to the mufflers and it reduced heat radiated off the exhaust. Mind you, it won't greatly decrease heat radiation but it will reduce it somewhat.

Also, you might take "RexS's" suggestion and heed "Sharkcar71's" advice about oil soaked wrap.

I wrapped my headers and exhaust all the way past the transmission. Seemed to lower my in car temperatures quite a bit.

this is my #1 reason for wanting to switch to sidepipes. wife wont ride more than a few miles because of the heat coming through the floor.

I've got dynamat and foil backed insulation under the carpet of the 82. It's both quit and cool on the inside.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom